Do You Borrow Items From Family And Friends?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Diane Lane • Oct 26, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there's something I don't need to use very often, I'd rather simply borrow it from a friend or family member, rather than buying it, then storing it in the shed for months or years. Many people here in my neighborhood will just ask around in the neighborhood online group, if someone has an item they need for a particular chore. I think it's smart to do this, rather than wasting money on something that will just sit unused. Do you do the same?

2. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Borrowing lawn and garden tools is very popular in this neighborhood too. I can never seem to come up with the extra money for a hedge trimmer that is only used once a year and renting one can be just as a expensive as buying one. This neighborhood has a good mix of low to middle income families with varied interests so there is always someone around with a tool I just don't need to own. It is the smartest way to get the job done. I don't have family here so that's out but I do have a good recipe for homemade brownies and all the neighbors know if I use a tool I will deliver it back in good condition with brownies.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yum, many in my neighborhood would probably kill someone for freshly baked brownies ;). I just saw someone request to borrow a hedge trimmer, so you're not alone in your quest. I sometimes borrow the neighbors' lawn mower, other times I make do with my trimmer. I borrow their tree lopper a few times a year, as well, and I also usually will bake treats, or I'll promote her Etsy shop for her to pay her back. It's good to know there are other neighborhoods like mine out there :).

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the item is reasonably priced then I will just buy it instead of borrowing it, I don't really like bothering people to borrow stuff. Even if I will rarely use it, at least I know that I can use it for a whole lifetime, so I think that justifies spending money on it.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this but if the item is small and forgettable I try not to because I know myself too well and I know I'll probably just forget about it eventually, and even if the family member doesn't mind I will feel bad once I remember that I borrowed to the point of stealing once again. If it's something big and I know I would probably not buy it just for one or two uses then I will opt to just borrow it and I'll just be more mindful to give it back once I'm done, which is a lot easier for me to keep track of when the item is bulky and noticeably taking up space in my house.