Do you bother going to the theatre (play, musical) anymore?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Oct 12, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Since I met my present fiancee, we go to the opera once a year and pay $150. Unfortunately, the price continues to go up, but since we're misers we can afford it. We've wanted to go to see plays, musicals, ballets, etc. but the ticket prices are absolutely expensive. What's the point? How often do you go to the theatre?

2. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to watch more theater - although Opera isn't really my thing! I love watching musicals though and remember going to see Blood Brothers a couple of years ago and loving it. I also went to see 42nd street for my 18th birthday and that was really good too. So yeah, if I had the time, money and the means - I would definitely see more theater.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I love to see Shakespeare plays in performance, and when I lived in Plymouth, UK, there was a great theatre there that put on productions regularly. The ticket price was good, and they also staged other plays by writers I like, such as Ibsen and Alan Bennet. There's nowhere here to compare, but when we're back in the UK I always check out the productions. I like a good musical or pantomime as well - you can't beat live performance.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think I only watched two theater musical plays my whole life. One is Miss Saigon and the other was Mama Mia. I enjoyed both and I think that it was worth my money. :D But I am not a regular. I would go to a theater if I am really interested on the play or a friend of mine buy me ticket. :D

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The prices are definitely too ridiculous.

I do still go occasionally, but I rely on being able to get discounted tickets from friends who work for the city or using Groupons, etc. I don't really have the funds to just pick and choose what I want and splurge on it.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I go, but only if I can get tickets in a student rush or some other type of discount. I can't afford retail value when it comes to theatre tickets, but I do find ways to go for free too. I look for "Pay-what-you-can" performances and other ways to get to enjoy it at a fraction of the cost.

7. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I have never been to any really big production shows just local ones. The one's that do come in my area are outrageous on price, the last show that was playing near me was wicked which i wanted to see so bad but just for a good seat where you can see the stage was $300 per person and there was no way i was going to pay over $100 for seats in the way back were i couldn't see.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I go regularly - because I have a season pass. I paid for one pass at $230 and there after I can walk in on any preformance I like free of charge. It is an awesome savings and I don't know why anyone wouldn't take advantage of it. I mean I'm going to see some circus trope from China like tommorrow. And it's free. Plays, performance troupes, operas, the orchestra, musicals, etc. All of it paid for - within a period of 6 months or so. Since I've been doing this for a could of years it's up to 9 months or most of the year. I pay in March generally, because January through March is the weak part of the calendar around here.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, because I find theaters to be horribly uncomfortable. I'm not enormous or anything, but I always feel like a sardine packed in a tin can at theaters, much like when I'm on a plane. I guess I'm a bit claustrophobic, but it also makes me miserable the whole time and I cannot really enjoy the show. I would almost rather watch it on a high definition television in the comfort of my own room than see it live.

I'm not a huge fan of theater either to begin with, but mainly would just go because a couple of my friends wanted to go. The last one I saw was the Evil Dead musical years ago.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a performer, and I regularly support my peers in their performances partially because I want them to support me. Usually if I have a friend playing in a ridiculously expensive show, he or she is able to get me a comp ticket. Most of the time, though, my friends are playing in free or really inexpensive "off broadway" shows and concerts. I go to those all the time.

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Theater life is quite vibrant in the UK and besides the high-priced West End shows, there are so many smaller productions being staged throughout the year in various, affordable venues. Some of them are irresistible, especially the offbeat plays at Tricycle Theater and concerts at the Southbank center in London. So, we do indulge in those experiences a few times every year.

12. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    We go locally a few times a year. My in laws have season passes to a production called Tuesday Musical. That's been wonderful and doesn't cost us anything. Once a year we'll see a musical like Mamma Mia or Annie. We'll go to the city for that and see a nationally touring company. I think we paid $75 a piece for the last one we saw. It's something different.

13. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    When I am travelling I will check and see what musical or play is performing when I am in the area. My son and I were in SanFranciso for a holiday during Easter and Wicked was playing. We spent $130 per ticket and had an absolutely perfect day. Wicked was spectacular, a real highlight to our trip. Going to the theatre adds something special to every trip I take.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, it doesn't cost me that much to go to the opera, and there are a lot of things I can go to where I live that are more affordable, but I don't do it as much as I used to when I had less responsibilities and obligations and more disposable income. It isn't just about the money though; sometimes it is a question of time and scheduling.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    No I never bother to go to the movie or theater because everything that plays there almost will soon be on a DVD. Unless I just want a night out to see a special movie with my friends. But I usually wait until I can enjoy them at home so I can be very comfortable. I don't have to watch my back to see what's going on in those places. It's not really safe there and really no place else, but I feel better.

16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I go to the theater and musical plays once in a while. I have some friends who have the same interest with me regarding theater and performing arts. It's actually a good way to relieve stress and just enjoy. I love doing it. But I agree, the tickets are getting more expensive now. That's also one of the reasons I watch theater shows very seldom nowadays.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The small town I live in has no theater. Of course even if there was one, since I've never been a fan of plays or musical so still, I wouldn't go to the theater. Nonetheless I like to watch inexperienced actors stumble-through a play so for me, children's theater is my kind of thing, and generally they don't charge one to watch kids acting [in school].

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Do you live near a university with a music decent department? College opera productions can be very good and the ticket prices are less expensive. Matinee performances are also less pricey and some opera companies may even allow the public to view dress rehearsals. You should call the company office and see what kind of outreach they offer.

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the theater! Well, especially as a student in my city, most of the plays i went to were between 13$ and 25$. Considering that going to the cinema often is 10$, I consider this a good money investment! :D I also paid around 60 bucks to see the musical of the Lion King. I don't believe I could be able to put 150 bucks into an opera... I don't have that much money. I prefer to go see many plays over the year, rather.