Do You Budget Your Utility Expenses Or Just Pay As You Go?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Zyni • May 5, 2015.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The interesting thing is that budgets can be sometimes deceptive when planning one's expenses. I have found that there is a psychological dynamic that comes into play when one budgets that makes a person feel constrained or imprisoned. This induces a tendency to overspend, to stretch the boundaries. For me, spending as I go always wins the day because it is easy to keep it at the bare minimum.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pay as you go is really the way to go! Our water here doesn't cost the earth, so I'm ok with it billed on a monthly basis. I'm just grateful that the electricity is pay as you go. Most people here have go down this route, because it's easier to manage and not have to worry about the heart stopping monthly bill. Every 2-3 months I go out and get a huge amount of electricity and forget about it for those months. I do the same for the water, because it doesn't cost much. Sometimes when we a little extra, I'll even put extra for our cable TV and internet. It just makes things a little bit easier :)))

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Some utility companies offer a program similar to the one your friend uses. The utility company calculates the estimated yearly amount of energy used, then divides the amount into each monthly payment.

I am not enrolled in such a program, even though I know that my utility company offers it. I suppose I am not enrolled because I hope to reduce my energy usage as much as possible each month. I usually try to use less energy each month as I did the previous month (the amount used is on my energy bill each month).

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just learned that our power company does this. I'm considering signing up for it. It would make it simpler than having small bills then large ones. I'd rather pay the same amount each month. It's easier to budget that way.

I try to lower mine all the time as well. I imagine that you could reconfigure your average amount if it is lower on a regular basis. I'll have to find out if they have provisions for this before I sign up for it.

Here, you can move your account with you if you move (well, if it's a location that they serve), so that part wouldn't be a problem. I suppose that could be an issue too for some folks.