Do You Buy Box Wine?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nwitt • Apr 18, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy box wine to save money? Do you like the taste? Is there a certain brand that you prefer?

I always feel like the money that I do spend on alcohol is a lot when it comes to wine. I still limit myself, but it can be easy for it to add up.

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Buying wine is a box gets a bad reputation but is is just the same wine as is in the bottles. I will buy a box of wine if I know that several bottles will be consumed at an event or if I am somewhere that I will want wine but don't want to lug around several bottles. We have a good variety of wines available in boxes at our larger liquor stores and they aren't all cheap wines. I would not, however, buy wine in a box without having tried the wine first. The last thing I need is to have a box of wine that I don't like. While it is not classy, a box of red and white available when you are hosting can make life a little easier.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought box wine but I have tried it. I don't think it tasted any different to bottled wine in its category which was fairly cheap. I would consider buying box wine if one was recommended to me. But as I don't drink wine often and would probably be buying it as a gift I would just stick to what I know. I do think that it seems a bit cheaper in comparison to bottled wines at the supermarket even for the higher end brands.

These brands are supposed to be nice: rmuller-riesling_300.silverbirch-sauvignonblanc_300.yb-malbec_300.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the stigma over boxed wines is finally starting to go away for a variety of reasons, especially now that people are becoming a little more conscious of the environmental impact of all this packaging. Yes, they contain plastic bags in them, but it is still less packaging overall not to mention it's safer and less prone to getting broken or damaged, plus it takes up less overall space.

When I was unable to drive for a few years, I couldn't justify taking a cab to go get a bottle of vodka or rum, so I started switching over to the boxed wines they sold at my local grocery store since that was in walking distance. Plus I hated when I would have a bunch of glass bottles accumulating in my trash bags. They were a pain to take out to the trash. The boxed wines were nice because I could fold everything down when done.

With regards to serving them to guests, a simple solution would be to just buy a decanter and serve it from that instead. Then periodically you could go refill it instead. Many people use decanters with bottled wines anyhow, to aerate them.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Never really considered Boxed wine. I suppose it has to do with the stereotype of it always being "cheap and not tasting very good". Might be something to give a try in the near future.

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We have been buying wine in box form the last couple of months as we've been trying to save a little money. It honestly tastes fine to me, and many "better brands" actually have a box version available - so you're not just getting "cheap wine."