Do You Buy Canned Meals To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Mar 13, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do buy canned vegetables, corned beef, love Spaghetti O's, tuna, salmon, chili beans are some of the canned goods I like. It saves money, goes on sale a lot and has small sizes too so we don't waste food. When it comes to starving or canned goods, I choose canned goods. Canned goods are as the labels say getting better all the time.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't know how to cook, so I also occasionally buy canned goods when the pantry is empty. I do agree that it's a good way to save money, since some canned goods are so cheap, like a can of this new brand of corned beef costs 35 cents, so if you buy that everyday then you can definitely save a lot of money.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are not really health-conscious but our policy in the kitchen is to prepare food as much as possible to be assured of freshness, meaning fresh ingredients. With the canned food, I admit that we eat corned beef and spam once in a while but other than that, we just cook especially with spaghetti and other sauce dishes. There are plenty of canned pork dishes in the supermarket, mostly made in China, and I avoid buying that. And based on my computation, it is cheaper to cook fresh ingredients than rely on canned goods.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    The only food items I buy in cans are mushrooms, mackerel, sardines, and corned beef. I'm also quite selective with label because I've experienced eating corned beef that taste more like chemical than beef. Nowadays, they're not the cheapest food I can find around the supermarket. The can packaging and the easy open features make canned goods more expensive, at least in our country. If I really want to save, I'd go for vegetables or recipes that call for less meat.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I don't eat a lot of canned foods but I will buy some for times when I am in a hurry or just don't feel like cooking. I like tuna, curry and corned beef but I never think of them as being particularly cheap.

When I was young my mum worked and she would buy tinned carrots and peas and I loathed them then and I still do now, slimy in texture and flavourless.

6. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    In my country, canned meals are so expensive. Buying them actually leads to less saving of money.

7. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    I used to avoid buying canned food because I was under the misconception that it, canned food, is less nutritious than frozen or 'fresh' food. As it turns out, canned food is more likely to contain more nutrients, due to the fact that the nutrient have no place elese to which to escape. Ever since I came upon to this discovery, my fear of buying canned food has dissipated, and I actually buy quite a lot of canned food. I find its a good way to save money, and requires minimal preparation.

So, to answer your question: yes, buying canned food is a good way to save money, with minimal health disadvantages.

8. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    No-no. I do not buy canned foods. An exception to one or two when I really need to but I generally don't as a rule. They are not a cheaper alternative. Most people buy canned foods just for the convenience. They can end up more expensive than raw food. And they are not fresh, they are conserved with chemical preservative. I prefer to prepare my own food and store in the freezer for those times when you need a quick meal

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I try not to make it a habit as those things are always packed with sodium, but of course they are cheap. I just try to have my canned goods be things like beans and some veggies.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Canned meals are not my kind of thing. However, I confess that some foods are very tasty... But at the same time, there is nothing healthy. :(

Well... They certainly help us save a little money, after all.