Do you buy Christmas Gifts for Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Zyni • Dec 17, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have known several people who buy holiday gifts for pets. Are you one of them? Some people just pick up a little something while others go all out. I've seen people give their pets more gifts than the people in their lives, wrapping the presents up and everything. What do you think about that? I guess I find it a little unusual, but if it makes them happy, it's their choice. We used to get a pack of treats for our dogs but that was about it.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We love our dogs and cats to bits but it never crossed our minds to give them gifts the way you do with your relatives and friends. We simply let them eat double the amount of food. Our cats are fond of eating raw fish so Christmas is a great time to feed them with loads of fresh fishes. They never seem to tire of them. Our dogs can gobble up the bone leftovers.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't just because we never got taught to do so growing up. A friend of mine did this one Christmas and I was very surprised that it was a thing, but I suppose it is understandable since they are part of the family and it is a nice gesture whether they recognize the special occasion or not. If or when I get new pets in the future, I plan on doing this as well.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't just buy gifts for my pet during Christmas but on his birthday as well. Nothing sort of fancy, just some treats to tone down the monotony of eating his everyday food. Also, I bring him to a pet saloon for some pampering and grooming so he can look at his best. After that, I take him for a walk. I found this pet friendly mall that allows us to bring our pets inside the mall. My pet is a head turner. People, usually kids, would ask if they could take pictures along with my pet. It makes me a one big proud Mama.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My pets are beyond spoiled! We even have stockings for them filled with stocking stuffers. The cats get catnip, lasers and balls. My dog gets bones and a new squeeky toy. He also likes tennis balls so we get him a 3 pack from the sporting store.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    The cats and dogs get to sample the holiday meal--the parts they will eat, anyway. The horses and goats get carrots and apples. I just don't see filling stockings or wrapping up gifts for a creature who wouldn't understand it, even if that creature is a best friend and close family member.

7. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I would buy special treats and a new toy for my dog, but I never wrapped them. I also never got him a stocking. I would just give him his special treats throughout the day. I really miss that little guy. When I get another dog, I will probably get it a Christmas stocking because I think it would be cute for decoration. To the dog it makes absolutely no difference if there is a stocking, gift wrap or a plain old bag just as long as they get their goodies.

8. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I always buy Christmas gifts for my pets. Right now I have a 2 1/2 year-old, male, striped tabby and he's still pretty playful. Buying gifts for the family pet or pets is something that we've always done in my family, so I guess that I've kept the tradition going and I think it's a fun tradition for people and their pets!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While it's OK to be sentimental at times, I'd never go that far. I have never and never will buy a pet a Christmas gift. What's the point? It's not like the pet will know why it's getting the gift. Is it the thought that counts? Not for me though. I'll give the dog a treat but nothing more. The money I'd have spent getting the dog a gift can be spent on its food.

10. maxim66

maxim66New Member

Threads:
    Yes. I own both a cat and a dog, and we seem to buy the dog gifts for Christmas. The cat doesn't get much of that love because she's more of an outdoor cat who doesn't play with toys. The dog has about 3-4 squeaky toys from the last few years because my family kind of shifts their love towards the dog, and the cat is just known as the animal who will sleep in your bed and scratch you for whatever reason.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my mom gave a whole chicken drumstick to our dog after she got it out of the frying pan. Then she greeted our dog, "Merry Christmas" as she dropped the hot and freshly fried chicken to the floor. So that's how far we are willing to give our pets "gifts". We only give them food.

12. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Of course! A pet is a part of the family just like anyone else, and they love to be included. Pets can really sense when they are being neglected or rejected, so it's important to show them love and that you are always thinking about them (or at least as much as you would think about anybody else). Buying them something simple like a nice blanket that they can lay in, or a new toy will make them really happy, and possibly put them in the same spirits that you are in.

13. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't think my cats would understand a gift. I've bought cat toys in the past but really they seem happier playing with an empty box. It doesn't seem worth it to spend money on gifts for my cats. Maybe dogs are different in that sense. But cats, when they want to play they're just as happy (or more) with a bunched up paper than a cat mouse shaped toy. Most of them would prefer to sleep on top of the desk instead of the cat tree, they prefer to scratch our floor mat and not the scratching post, etc.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pets are a part of the family. I don't have a pet at this time but I do know people treat their pets like they treat their children. When I did have a pet I did treat it like I treated my family with love. I showed that love by giving them things I knew they liked.

15. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go all out as some pet owners do, but I like to use the holidays as an excuse to give my kitties a little special 'something'. Normally that 'something' is a special can of food or cat nip. With my low budget, this is all I can afford to put towards my cats aside from their basic needs. Regardless, I like doing fun little things for them. They are my babies after all.