Do You Buy Cleaning Cloths/ Cleaning Rags?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jul 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:

Is there any point in buying some special cleaning or wiping cloths when you can make you own cleaning rags at home? I normally rip open my old T-shirts and use them as cleaning cloths. Maybe store-bought wiping/cleaning cloths/rags have something special which I don't know about?

Do any of you buy them?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I rarely buy cleaning rags, apart from scorers and sponges. I get them from the no brand section in my supermarket, which means they are the cheapest possible. I don't like to spend money on fancy cleaning equipment.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I buy them. For some reason I like my cleaning supplies to be very organized and find that when I use old towels or shirts they tend to not fold as neatly and start to fray. I rarely spend a lot of money on my cleaning rags so I don't feel guilty about it. Occasionally, depending on what I am cleaning I do like to use a very soft old cotton shirt to do the job.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I save old towels and t-shirst for cleaning and scrubing the floor. When I don't have any rags around I will purchase something at the store but that does not happen often. I don't see that as good use of my money.

5. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    I buy them, but only because I like to use the microfiber cloths. I find that they pick up dirt and dust better than normal cloths. But before I discovered microfiber cloths, I would just rip up old clothes to use.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't buy rags or sponges like I did in the past. Why? I keep seeing reports on how germs collect on them. So, I'd rather buy an inexpensive roll of paper towels. After use, they can be easily disposed of.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to be more into using sponges but I've read/heard about all the bacteria that can breed in them and started using dishcloths. I find that dishcloths are easier to clean you can just throw them in the wash once a week and they last longer. Yet you could put dishcloths in the wash but they'd be more inclined to fall apart quicker.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any new cleaning cloths in a while because 4 years ago my local Walmart had a clearance sale on white terrycloth bar mops for 20 cents each and I stocked up.
    So I still have a lot of those left and I still use them. They're more absorbent than an old t-shirt and you can just bleach a load of them in the washer.

9. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    20 cents each! I would have done the same if I had the chance. Even so, I prefer to make my own cleaning rags out of old towels and t-shirts too. I don't fold them up after I wash them, I just throw them in a basket under the sink and grab one to use as needed. It fits into my recycling lifestyle, as I hate to throw anything into the trash, and if I can give something old one more use, I certainly will. Re-using also helps save me a few dollars each year...I'm an original cheap skate at heart.

10. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I actually bought a couple of packs of

from Walmart to use as cleaning cloths. They're exactly the right size for my hands; they're a little rough, which is good for scrubbing; and they don't unravel along the edges. I didn't have any old t-shirts to rip up, so I "splurged" a bit and got these. Once they're all dirty, I wash them with a little bleach. The bleach kills off whatever ick is making its home there, plus it makes the colors look horrible so that none of the family members will grab the rag I use to clean toilets with and use it to wash their faces. I've been using this set for over a year, and they're still up to the task.

I use kitchen towels for the kitchen. If I found bar towels for 20 cents apiece, I'd definitely stock up on them! My kitchen towels are a bit ratty looking and aren't terribly absorbent. I do have

that I use for glass and mirrors. Those get washed by hand, no bleach or fabric softener, and hung up to dry. They're a nice addition to my cleaning arsenal, although my mother always used ordinary newspaper and Windex to dry glass and mirrors and got the same good result, so the microfiber cloths aren't entirely necessary.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember that we used to buy some rags before from the people that peddle them on the street, but now we don't buy them anymore, we just use our old shirts. I don't see any point in buying rags unless you don't have any old or tattered clothes that aren't being used anymore.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, not usually. I usually just use old rags and towels that are falling apart, etc.

That being said, I HAVE used some microfiber clothes before that are really cool, but I didn't buy them myself. They were gifted to me and once they were done, I didn't replace them.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never bought a rag. There's just too many extra cloth available for me to want to spend extra for just a rag. I usually just cut I up old shirts if I needed a rag, and it organize them into a separate pile too so it would be easy to find or make one wiener I need it. In fact, I have so many of these that I sometimes just throw them away if they end up getting really dirty after just one use because I know I have plenty more.

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Cleaning rags are inexpensive but I never bought one. The reason? I have too many old towels or t-shirts that I can 'elevate' to cleaning rag status. Sure, they may not look like much (the store bought ones are nicer) but they get the job done. I agree that some cleaning rags (microfiber) are awesome when it comes to water absorption but that's a detail I'm not too concerned about :)