Do You Buy Fakes?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Oct 8, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    There are a good amount of fake products being sold in my country, most of them are usually apparels like fake branded sneakers like Nike and Adidas or fake / knock off women's bags. I myself have never liked buying fakes, especially for something I'd probably be wearing a lot like sneakers, because they usually are only good looking in terms of physical design, but their functionality isn't as good as an original one's meaning they are a lot less comfortable to wear. I'd maybe consider it for something I wouldn't need to use for something as important like walking, such as bags, but as much as possible I just prefer to stick with originals.

How about you guys, do you like buying replica products that are only a fraction of the price of the originals? Which products do you buy fakes of? What are your thoughts on it?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done before, but generally no as the quality of usually poor and doesn't last. I have a few fake items that aren't bad quality and worth what was paid for. From a trademark point to view it doesn't help the brand and they are being stricter in regards to seizing and destroying fakes. They can be dangerous for electrical items as they haven't been tested or cosmetics or fragrances with chemicals that may cause harm. Those are the things to steer clear of.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    No. What would be the point? If you're such a slave to fashion that you're willing to lie about being able to maintain the status quo, then you need to check yourself. That's ridiculous. I love high end clothes, but I know what is worth buying and what will be a classic piece and what's a trend. If you want to call yourself a fashionista, then learn those basics and you'll have enough money to buy the real thing.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, I'm not into those super expensive designer brands anyway, only the affordable ones, so I would rather buy the original ones because I aim for quality and durability. I'm sure fake items especially electronics don't last that long.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I normally don't buy fakes. To be honest I hardly ever buy anything which is brand new unless circumstances demand that I do. Instead of buying a cheap fake that won't last long, I'd rather buy something "authentic" which though it has been used by someone before still has a long life ahead of it. It's better that way I believe. You get something durable at almost the same price a knock-off would have cost.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I had a pair of Beats earphones bought for me a couple weeks ago that I know are fakes (sorry when you get something for $40 that should be $100 you're getting ripped off). The thing is, they're better quality than my old earphones, so I don't know what to say. I refuse to admit that they're real, but they are some fairly well done knock-offs that's for sure. Other than that, you'll never find me buying a knock-off unless I've put my research in first.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't bothered with fake merchandise since the late 80's/ealy 90's. In the 80's I used to buy fake Transformers at flea markets and dollar stores. There were some really good knock offs of the original Transformers toys that looked identical to the real ones. Some of them even came in unique colors, so I used to trick my friends into thinking I got some limited edition ones.

In the early 90's one of the bigger flea markets near us used to have a guy who sold knock off colognes. They were actually really good, and he would bottle them to order for you for $8 each. He would save some money on the bottling and packaging by making them to order I guess.

Since then I later found out that these kits to make knock off colognes are readily available online, if you wanted to start your own business with them. Another friend of ours a few years ago attempted this, and it was a disaster. Those concentrated oils in the bottles were getting all over everyone's hands and their nostrils and clothing, and we all walked out of there stinking like crazy. I couldn't get those smells out of my clothes for days, lol.

8. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like buying fakes because the quality is more often than not much lower than the original. I'd rather save up money and wait for a deal than waste my money a small amount at a time.
    I wouldn't consider these fakes, more like imitations, but the cereals that imitate fruit loops, lucky charms and other brands can be really good and even better than the original in some cases.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never buy fake. I terminally refuse to buy and I don't have anything fake. And it's not even because it's a fake per se, it's because I think that if you do not have the condition of getting the real one, you shouldn't get a fake. Having fake stuff is very demeaning I think, because you're just getting a knock off. You deserve better. Just get something more modest that is original. That is my opinion.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy fakes in the past until I realized you can get no satisfaction from buying something that's merely a shadow of the original. That's as far as bags and clothes are concerned, though. I buy fake DVDs sometimes, but only when it's hard to get a cheaper copy of a series or drama I have always wanted to watch. If it's already available in the net, I prefer to stream it.