Do You Buy From Street Vendors?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Apr 18, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a lot of street vending in your country, where people sell fruit and vegetables at the side of the road? If so, do you purchase any of these items from these street vendors?

Where I live, we see quite a lot of street vending, not only on a normal work day, but especially during holidays when the grocery stores would be closed. Street vendors take advantage of these times and ply their trade, selling mostly fruits and vegetables which come from their own garden. There are times that I have bought vegetables and fruit from these vendors. I have found that their produce is usually fresher and sometimes cheaper too. So if we happen to be out driving on any public holiday, we can stop and buy from these vendors.

Is this sort of vending popular where you live?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We've open market days at different locations where farmers and other vendors all gather and we can purchase their wares and usually it's vegetables, food and bags. At the Ala Moana Shopping center there are vendors all lined up in certain areas too where we can shop at the mall and see different vendors at the mall to shop at. During the holidays sometimes you'll see vendors on the street side with signs or by a parking lot with their wares to sell. People love it and it's so much fun to see and the produce is very fresh and cheaper too here.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see as many street vendors as I use to in my area. When I lived in California on the weekends we would go to the areas that had the road side vendors selling their fresh vegetables and fruit. I miss those types of road trips and the fresh food, now we go to the farmers market when we find one.

4. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, farmers' markets are very popular around here too. They operate mostly on weekends and open very early in the morning. If you want to get nice fresh produce at reasonable prices, this is a nice way to spend a Saturday morning. At these markets one can also get fresh eggs, local juices, and lots of homemade goodies. Tea and coffee are usually on sale along with the other juices. Fishcakes, ham and egg sandwiches, a variety of patties, sweet bread, and cup cakes are also sold. Having breakfast at these venues is very convenient for those who have the desire to do so.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen a few street vendors selling eggs or jam but they don't tend to sell anything else here. I've noticed that farmers markets are the only option for that where I live. But then grocery stores are open 24/7 here and the nearest one is just at the end of the road so I suppose people don't feel the need to buy from local vendors. Where I lived before though there was several of these. There was a man that had a shed he'd sell out of and everyone used to get their fruit and veg there.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I buy nachos from my local ice cream man that comes every night at 7 p.m. They are just chips, melted cheese and some sliced jalepenos, but they are so good. They are around $2.50 and you get a whole plate of nachos.

7. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    No, there are no good street vendors here. Unfortunately, the city i live in is overrun by the fastfood industry, they have a lot of say here and food carts get shut down constantly. It sucks.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, i do. Where i live, there's a few street vendors who sells hotdogs and stuff. Of course i trust the vendors since they've been on that same spot for years so i know the food is clean and safe.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to, but nowadays that I'm a lot more aware of dirt and germs I tend to avoid it. I know it's probably just mostly in my head but I am just choosing to play it safe anyway. In some other countries where street food is more regulated or where the environment is cleaner I think I'd be more willing but I don't think I'll be buying street food here anymore. From now I would only buy street food if the environment was clean and the workers are wearing gloves.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are loads of street vendors in my country and street vending isn't highly regulated by the government due to the fact that it's already part of our local culture, uplifting the lives of those living in the margins. I do not really find street foods unhygienic although polluted air must have been swirling all around the place. Having eaten street foods for much of my life, I have practically become immune to the untoward effects they might bring to untrained stomachs.

11. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    The farmer's market is always the best bet for fresh produce. We would also buy from elderly sellers who peddle their products rather those those who are renting stalls because the elderly need the income to survive. If there's relatively nothing different between what they're selling and what elderly peddlers offer, I'd buy from the latter.

12. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the United States in Ohio, not near any huge cities, but we are fairly suburban. Farmer's Markets are extremely popular around here and in other parts of the country that I have lived in. I think these sorts of pop up markets are popular and better for the vendors because the consumers know when they are going to occur and that means more people are likely to visit their stands. When people randomly sell on the side of the road, most people aren't expecting to see these stands sometimes, so the vendors usually don't have as much success, financially speaking. The farmer's markets around here even are able to accept food stamps, so that also gives a whole new customer base.to the vendors.

Where I live (Warren, OH, USA), the farmer's market at Courthouse Square was not originally popular, particularly not with the food stamp crowd that was used to being limited to only grocery stores that accept their benefits. In order to increase the number of food stamp customers, the farmer's market here ran a promotion last summer for the entire summer for all food stamp recepients. Anyone using food stamps got DOUBLE the amount of food that they spent on their card. So, if you spent $20 in food stamps, you got $40 worth of merchandise. This vastly increased their traffic and customer base.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I tend to buy fruit and vegetables mostly from the street vendors. Their produce is usually fresher and cheaper that those in the supermarket and in some instance I am able to negotiate a better price with them.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes we do, and they are also cheaper than the ones being sold in the mall at times. We buy mostly fish, vegetables, and fruits. Sometimes there are walking street vendors too, and we buy from them as well.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest on this. Street vendors abound here. In fact, even in the regular market, there are street vendors that sell cheaper farm produce. But I only buy fruits that are of quality from those vendors and sometimes vegetables. My thinking is that they are not paying taxes while those with legal stalls pay their dues so I have to somehow patronize the legal vendors.

But with cooked food, I used to buy when I was younger. But now, maybe my taste had changed and I don't patronize those street food vendors anymore.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy from street vendors by default, reason being their
    products a re pocket friendly. They don't have many overheads and
    enjoy economies of scale. Food items sold by vendors especially fruits
    are usually fresh since they are meant to be fast moving consumer
    goods. Its also easier to bargain when dealing with street vendors
    than when dealing with stores.

17. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy from the street vendors, these people are our peasants that bring us natural vegetables, fruits, cheese, and butter. They must sell their products in our market but they must pay a high fee so, they usually give up and stop coming to the city.

When they come they sell their products on the streets risking to be caught and take a fine. I prefer to buy from them instead to buy products from the supermarket.

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    There are tons of street vendors in our country and you'll see them anywhere, especially nearby schools. People in our country love street foods, I for one likes them. They are not only delicious but very affordable as well and there are so many variations to choose from that's why students and employees consider it as their daily snack especially if they're on a tight budget.

Although I love street foods, I don't buy them regularly as they are unhealthy and some of them are not that clean so we'd rather cook these kind of foods at home instead of buying in the streets.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, whenever I see something that interests me... I buy (and I don't see any problems in this). But I always look at the qualities of the products before buying them.

20. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    That depends in the presentation. I will never buy food from someone who wears sleeveless shirts because their pit hairs can go to the food. Chefs wear long sleeves for a reason. Also the Vendor must looks clean, I will not buy from someone who looks like they don't have a shower.