Do You Buy From Street Vendors?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Apr 18, 2016.

1. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy from sidewalk vendors that sell food, although I do buy from vendors that have stalls and sell pirated stuff. I don't know how to cook, so buying vegetables is really not applicable. My dad does buy from those sidewalk vendors though.

2. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Street vendors are popular in my country. The products they sell range from fruits veggies and cereals. I am a frequent customer of the vendors because they sell their products at cheaper prices and mostly their farm produce is healthier and fresher. They also are convenient because they sell just 100 metres from home saving me transport costs of going to town.

However just as @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan has stated, we should look at the cleanliness of the vendors. I personally cannot buy from a vendor whose stall is dirty and full of flies and has dirty nails and clothes.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The street vendors in the city are wily but mostly fair in the pricing of what they sell. That's why they are patronized by the public. And their wares are fresher than the legal vendors. But in the highway, the roadside vendors of fruits have high prices and sometimes exorbitant. That is why it is better to buy fruits in the wet market than in the roadside kiosks.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    In the town where I live we have a Saturday market where vendors sell all sorts of things and I love to pick up all sorts of trinkets and also fruit and veg quite cheaply. We don't have many stalls which sell highly perishable goods now and I would be a litle wary of buying them not knowing how they were stored after they were packed away.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Street vendors are very common in my place and we used to buy vegetables and fruits from them on a regular basis as we get them a lot cheaper and fresher compared to the super market. Also, I feel like we are doing something for their livelihood by buying from them so I always don't bargain that much. They are very convenient. :)

6. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy most of the vegetables we eat from sidewalk vendors since they are so cheap, you just need to check the quality though. Aside from being cheap, they usually offer other promos too. I love grilled fish, milk fish to be specific and I can buy them from sidewalk vendors when it's about to get late and they still have a lot to sell. They usually cost 3 dollars each but you can get them for 3 pieces for just 4 dollars when it's getting late.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Purchasing products from roadside vendors are what we do here in my area and it is something we feel okay about. Roadside vendor and those ones that hawk goods around from one street to another sell quality things cheaper than how much you would have paid to buy them on stores. The reason is simple, they don't pay rent on stores meaning all the profits they make are theirs.

I just got some clothes from the roadside clothes vendor here popularly known as 'okirika sellers' and these clothes are on that would have the cost higher if I bought them from closed stores, so I do my purchases from roadside vendors to reduce the cost of products I buy.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Historically I have not, but I still get guff for the fake stuff I got on impulse buy when I was overseas. More and more though it seems that food is acceptable from the vendors, which is cool to see.

9. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    Yeah,I like to buy from street vendors.They always come in our street with many fresh fruits and vegetables.They always have clean and affordable fruits with them.They have very cheaper fruits and fresh vegetables than any mall.Sometimes,We buy eggs,fish and cupcakes at low cost from different street vendors.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We do not have a lot of street vendors where I live, but I like to buy from them whenever I can to support local commerce. I like seeing people build a life for themselves by creating and producing fresh foods and crafts. The food is usually much healthier than some of the scientifically altered food found at the grocery store.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I buy from street vendors. Good thing about buying from street vendors is you can bargain. Generally, the price offered by the street vendor is lower than the price in the supermarket. I buy fruits and vegetables from street vendor every day. I also buy clothes and kitchen wares from the street vendor. Generally speaking, you have to compromise on the quality when you are buying from street vendors. However, as long as you pay less, it always benefits you.

12. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Sadly, it's not as common as I wish it were. I have fantasies about nations that have a strong street-vendor tradition, like Japan or Turkey. I wish the United States had more open-air markets. Luckily, there is a weekly farmer's market that takes place during the warm parts of the year in my town. Living in a rural area, you can occasionally find decent produce this way. But the reality is that modern transportation methods are extremely good. The notion that inner cities don't get fresh produce is deeply antiquated, rooted in a bygone time when it was difficult to get foodstuffs from the field to the grocery. That just hasn't been the case for decades now.

13. nanachan7

nanachan7New Member

Threads:
    I do. I buy from street vendors a lot. In my country, you can see street vendors almost everywhere and they usually sell street food. I know that I might get a disease since I'm not sure where they got the food and how they prepare it. They usually cook it in front of you but you never know the exact ingredients or how they handled it. But the thing is, they cook it better! I tried cooking street food at home but I could not copy the sauce even if I followed recipes I found on the internet. You also can't buy these food, and how they prepare and serve it, in restaurants.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes they are a lot street vendors in my country but they are often in busy central business districts. Some are really clean with nice stalls and well organized area to sell from while some are just downright filth. I do occasionally buy some street vendors but I am extremely picky and everything has to be very clean. However there are some cooked food I would never buy off the streets. Hot dog or burgers and fries are fine.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a very wide choice of street vendors in our country and probably their sale is more than all the restaurants and hotels together. In fact some of the street vendors are as famous or even more than established brands like if you Google "Tunde ke Kabab" which is a pure street food but it ranks among the most popular non-vegetarian dish available in India. Its popularity can be judged by the fact that some of the state guests ask/offered this dish on official visits. I have tasted it way back before I stopped eating non vegetarin dishes. However, I am open to street food with clean vendors.