Do You Buy Game Expansion Packs?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by cocolgooh • Apr 2, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do that but then I realised how much those games were adding up, because it wasn't just the original money for the game in the first place, but added money all the time for extra games and extra items within the game. Now, if I buy a game I'd rather buy something that's one purchase and you've got access to everything rather than needing to buy more later on

2. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    Yes! I bought all the Starcraft II expansion packs and I can say I'm not disappointed! I played all three campaigns and now I can finally go to playing Multiplayer and actually climbing the ladder. It's so much fun that I'm still playing it without being bored. I can say it's definitely worth it, and if you're into real time strategy games, you should also give Starcraft II a chance and eventually buy the expansion packs.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the game. If the expansion pack gets you more replay value then I most certainly would get the expansion pack. Since it will cost less than buying a new [different game] though you'd be spending a little more money, you'll be saving a lot more.

That said, I hate expansion packs because publishers are using them to get even more money from gamers.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The only expansion packs I have for games came with the game that I purchased. While expansion packs can offer cool content in games like The Sims, they are not necessary for game play. If the games that I purchased had not come with the expansion packs, I would not have gone out of my way to purchase the expansion packs. Having the extra content in the game is nice, but is not necessary to play the game. When shopping online for The Sims 3, I found a starter pack that included the original game and two expansion packs, for the same price as the original game. It seemed like a no-brainer to purchase the extra content for no additional charge. If expansion packs came with the original game for free, as in my case with The Sims, I would purchase them.

5. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds like an excellent deal you got there, @prose@prose! If I'd seen something like that when I purchased The Sims I would definitely have bought one with expansion packs already!

Something I find is that if they're older games the expansions tend to be a lot cheaper anyway. The Sims original series you can get the expansion packs for £0.50 or even less sometimes here because it's old now, so if you're willing to play a much older game you can pick up very cheap expansions.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to when I was younger. When I would play the sims I would get so excited to see what expansion packs EA would release in the future, and then once they were released I would scurry out to spend my mother's money on them. Nowadays I just download the expansion packs for free.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Usually by the time expansion packs are released I'm already tired of the game and have moved on. I rarely get addicted to video games that I would want to pay extra just for an added experience but maybe I'd consider it if I did like a game enough. It's not my main hobby though so most likely I would just much rather spend the money on something else I actually do feel passionate about instead of this which I usually just use to pass the time now and again.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I think it depends on what game you are talking about, although the sims games are the only games that I know of that routinely release expansion packs after the base games are released. A lot of people only stick around or keep note of what is going on with the sims FOR the expansion packs. They have been lacking with TS4 though, I will say.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Agreed. I think Sims is one of the games where expansion packs are welcome because they were probably one of the first ones to come out with them and back then there wasn't any internet so that was really all the extra content you'll ever get. For something like this that is less about competition and more just about the experience I do think I would be more okay with buying expansion packs, actually. I think creative type of games get away with this a bit easier.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree. There was a lot of complaint with the sims 4 expansion packs though, as most sims gamers felt like most of the stuff in the expansion packs should have been included in the base game, and had been in previous versions of the sims. So people felt like EA had taken core things out of the base game only to sell them back to them in the form of expansion packs. Luckily for me I don't pay for games or expansion packs. I just download them lol.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do that with the Sims, but really I've grown out of the game. I have no regrets, the amount of fun having to experience all the game extension packs are totally worth the dollars I've spent on them. The Sims has a special place in my heart, i grow up playing the game. :)

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, with this latest addition of the sims, which is sims 4, they have included emotions, and there was this massive debate about whether or not the asking price for the game was worth it, considering that the emotions of the sims 4 really does not add all that much to the game. I don't think that the game was worth the original asking price. People would have been better off waiting for the price to drop before purchasing.

13. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    That's more practical if only the game that I like at the moment already came with expansion packs. I bought SIMS 4 at the mall and after a few plays, I got bored with it. The careers are too few and digital installers for new objects have to be purchased online. I'm having more fun playing The SIMS 3 Into the Future expansion pack because I can do a lot with it. I also hate that I can't find a drum set for SIMS 4 when SIMS 3 has a lot to choose from.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, Get To Work is just ridiculously boring. I was in love with the idea of getting to be a police woman or man, or a scientist at first, but for the amount of money that the base game and the expansion packs cost, the gameplay is just lacking. The latest expansion pack, with the garden set and the movie theater furniture? Not worth the money at all.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will never buy game expansion packs, because I hate to spend money when you don't get anything physical in return for it. Because I spend so much of my time making money online, I very rarely bother playing games anyway. I just don't understand people who spend so much money on things that they cannot hold in their hand.

16. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought an expansion pack since Morrowind. Given nowadays DLCs are the most common practice that a developer applies to provide extra content for its games.I have to judge first the quality and hours of content an expansion pack offers in order to decide whether I will buy it or not. Most times is better to wait up until a GOTY edition or similar is released to get the most bang for your buck when I want to buy all the expansions packs available for an especific game.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is quite the opposite with me. I spend a lot of time earnng money online, and no I don't always earn that much, although there are times when I earn a lot from one source. That has happened a few times now. I will spend the money on things that will help me to unwind and relax once the work is complete, and gaming is one of those things. I have purchased things from the PS4 Network before in the way of expansion packs, but it sometimes bothers me when I consider that I could have downloaded it for free.

18. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I never buy expansion packs but then I rarely buy games either, they are almost always gifts. I have received expansion packs as presents though. Most of the time, while they are really cool to have, I still wouldn't slend money on them.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well, the price of gaming these days is extremely expensive. I mean, I know that when every next generation console comes out, the console is a lot of money and you have to wait until the price comes down. But I have noticed that even if you lave it a few years, the prices of both games and consoles don't really come down too much.

20. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I know! Console prices have remained constant, and game ones as well. Games that become popular just never go down in price. I waited over a year to get games like Majora's Mask and Animal Crossing and then ended up paying the same price for them either way. Dlc's are overpriced too most of the times. I don't know, I just feel it is stuff you are already paying for with the full game price.