Do you buy gifts for your pet?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by PubD • Dec 1, 2012.

1. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    My son insists each Christmas that we hang a stocking for our dog and fill it with dog toys and treats.

Do any of you buy gifts for your pets, and how extravagant do you get?

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My girlfriend is guilty of overindulging her dog. It annoys me but I can't complain because it's her money and she can spend it how she wishes. She buys him all sorts of toys, treats and clothing. The clothing looks ridiculous and it is very expensive.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have a small stocking for our dog and another one for our guinea pig and put just one small treat in each. They also get one present under the tree but nothing that costs a lot of money. This all started many years ago when my kids were little and now it is just part of our tradition. I think if you over spend on them, it can be a problem but a small treat helps make seem like they a part of the family.

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy small toys for my cat when she was smaller but now I just give her Fancy Feast as a treat during the holidays and on her birthday. As much as I love buying toys for her, she just doesn't play with them. The only thing I buy she's consistently into is catnip. So this year, she'll get catnip and lots of hugs.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't thought of buying a Christmas present or any gift for my pet cat yet, but I do give him "special food" during Christmas. He seems to be happy and content with it, lol.

6. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my dog bones, and treats all the time. But I never go over the top with presents for him. We do wrap up a bone on Christmas though.

7. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    The animals don't care if Santa brings them a present; I think it's really sweet to wrap something for them when the kids are young. One year my son asked where Mittens and Snowballs presents were so I had to hang a stocking for the cats, and I seem to have kept up that tradition. I only put Temptations and catnip in there and so I don't spend a whole bunch of cash. I guess it's for sentimental purposes because we like to remember all those past Christmases when our kids were small and still believed in Santa.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I sometimes buy treats for my dog. Not gifts like sweaters, bones, etc. because she destroys everything. For her last birthday, we made her some kind of cake made entirely of doggie treats. It didn't last enough for a photo.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We got our cat a cute little set of sushi-shaped catnip toys, and she'll probably get a special treat as well.

10. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I do, but it's only in fun. And they only might get a toy or treats. Maybe a tiny stocking to put it in.

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I had a dog, I would get her something at Christmas time and for her birthday. Now that my fiancee has brought home her two cats, I get them food and a toy. Last year, I got them balls that they still play with to this date and this year I'm getting them food and I purchased a laser for them, which is something they absolutely adore.

12. himali.jagma

himali.jagmaMember

Threads:
    No i do not like to buy pet for gift

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I will buy hr treats and toys but my dad takes things to another level! He insists on her having a stocking of treats and toys at Christmas, treats and toys at Easter and presents for her birthday (the day we got her), when it is sunny out he makes me chase the ice cream van to get her an ice cream!

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids wanted that too, so we do it for each of the animals. It's a sweet tradition. Nothing pricey, just some of their favourite treats and toys.

15. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have never bought gifts for my pet. I know many people who do. I have an aunt that cooks for her dog, buys him clothes, toys, and sends the dog to expensive doggie resorts when she goes on vacation. All of that seems like a waste of money to me. I love my pet, but I just can't afford the luxury of buying gifts and things. I just take care of my dog's basic needs.

16. kevin786

kevin786Member

Threads:
    No, I only buy some things for my pet if i think if really need it.

17. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy a gift for my dog at Christmas. This is to keep it occupied while the rest of the family is sat around opening presents. She is way to over-excited if not!

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will probably get my dog some things he needs for Christmas, not anything useless like an elf hat. I'm trying to cut back on spending, not be wasteful. I think pet gifts are fun, but I'm just not in a position to be that fun.

#18Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is so cute! I don't have any pets or kids so no, I don't do this. I have given gifts and treats to other people's pets before though. If I was at an event that handed out samples or pet toys I would bring them to the pets of family members and friends or animals I was pet nanny for.

20. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I have never bought a gift for my pet besides a bone or something for her to chew on. Maybe I should buy her a huge bone and put a red bow on it this Christmas.