Do You Buy In Bulk.. Or Shop A Little Every Day?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Natasha0717 • Nov 11, 2016.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary if you buy in bulk, I mean all your grocery needs for a month at one time it should cost you lesser. I am not sure about your place but in our part of the world we get a huge discount in grain markets where we get almost 20-30 cheaper rates on the same item which are available in local markets for smaller quantity. Same is true for vegetables etc.

2. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Well if it's stocks that I sell, I do buy in bulk since I get them way cheaper. but if it's about household things, we usually shop every 3 days or once a week. We buy what ever that would be needed like canned goods for emergencies or kilos of rice that we can consume for 3 days or a week. It depends on what our schedule would be for the week. If we would go out twice this week, then we would shop twice. I do not like fish and meat being stocked in the freezer for too long.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When I buy cosmetic, I buy in bulk. When I buy in bulk, I get discounts. When I buy clothing items, I don't buy in bulk because I don't want my clothes to go out of fashion. I also buy grocery in bulk. If I buy grocery in bulk it will last for a long time. Most of the time, buying in bulk saves money.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We always buy in bulk, because we get to save money this way, since buying large amounts of coffee, soap, detergent, etc. is more economical. Like a 10-pack sachet of coffee for example. You can get a pack of 10 coffee sachets for $1. When you buy it individually, you will spend more than $1 if you buy 1 sachet of coffee per day at the corner store. So don't be afraid of making a huge "dent" on your wallet while grocery shopping, since the sudden reduction of money in your wallet will be more beneficial in the long run since you will get to save money.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Each person has to choose what is best for them. Your routine would never work for me though. For one thing, it would be too tiring, since I'm a bit limited. For another, I'd probably spend more that way.

Many people spend more when they shop this way, because they think of other things they need or want, or they go shopping when they're hungry. Unorganized shopping can also lead some people to ending up with a bunch of junk but nothing that really goes together to make meals.

I think the best way to do it is to plan meals, or at least some of them. Even if you cut your shopping trips in half, you'd probably save more money (at least that's true for many. It really depends on how careful you are when you do go shopping).

6. slumberchip

slumberchipNew Member

Threads:
    Buying in bulk makes more practical sense if your goal is to save more at the end of each month. The sure way to know if you're getting the real deal in buying bulk is to compute the difference between, say 12 rolls of toilet paper versus 24 rolls. If the difference is minimal, perhaps you could consider if the additional space that it would take in the closet or the trunk of your car is worth the small savings. However, if the cost difference is significant, go ahead and buy in larger quantities. (If we're talking about food purchases, then of course you also have to consider spoilage issues and such.)

This reminded me of what my partner said: If you're going to keep buying sanitary napkins, why not buy in bulk? I said I haven't thought about where I'd put my packets and packets of napkins and pantyliners, ha-ha.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I now buy a lot of things in bulk because you save time and money in the long run. I used to live next door to a grocery store and it would get annoying walking over there all of the time to make small purchases. I actually ended up spending more money buying small amounts than I do buying in bulk now. It is a comforting feeling knowing that you have a month-long supply of this, or do not need to buy garbage bags again for another year. It really all depends on how much storage space you have as well.

8. BloomingThrouhh

BloomingThrouhhNew Member

Threads:
    I like to buy my items in bulk for the week. I eat a variety of different fruits and vegetables and those tend to go bad quickly. I go back to the grocery store every week or two. I don't enjoy going to the store constantly so when I'm there I want to get all the things that I need. By getting everything that I need at once it saves me gas and time. It just makes more sense to me personally to get everything that I need for the week while I'm out at that moment.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have done both but I find that buying my goods all in one go is cheaper. The only thing is I often forget items so end up doing little daily shops too. I prefer to buy milk and bread every few days to keep it fresh although both can be frozen.

If I buy groceries doing small trips I find that I use stores which are more expensive so it tends to add up to more than if I had used a supermarket with varying and lower prices.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Buying in bulk or shopping little by little is dependent on two things. Firstly, it depends on my financial capacity at the time of shopping and secondly, the nature of what I intend on buying.

If there is enough money at my disposal, I don't see the reason for buying small when there is money to make such purchase in a single visit. To be frequenting shopping malls is also an expenses on its own in terms of transportation. So instead of buying small and keep going back again to buy more, I prefer buying it in bulk since there is fund for such.

Then on the nature of the commodities I intend on buying, if it's perishable I don't see the need for buying in bulk because it would eventually be a loss to me in no distant time but if it's not a perishable commodity, then buying in bulk suits me so long as the money to make such purchase is readily available.

11. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Buying in bulk is good to save some time and to have some good amount of discounted price. You will also be able to save up on gas and mileage plus less stress brought by the heavy rush hour traffic. You can also have a more relaxing and worthwhile time with your family.

12. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    We buy in bulks. Being such a large family, it's always better to buy things in bulk quantities so it could be able to satisfy everyone. Also, so that we could be able to budget better.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    With the threat of a coming hurricane, I definitely buy things in a bulk. It saves me a lot of money because there are more coupons for products in bulk and it will save me a lot of gas from driving to the grocery or save me from shipping if I ordered online.

14. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    There are items that we can save a lot of we buy in bulk and there are items that are best bought in retail packs. Depending on the item, we usually purchase on a monthly or weekly basis, but never on a daily basis as this would really be tiring, not to mention more costly. For meat and vegetable products, I only buy what we can consume for the next 3 to 4 days. I prefer to make sure that all our grocery needs are on stock so I need not worry about them for the rest of the month or week. When we forget to buy something on the list, there's a possibility that we may be forced to buy them at convenient stores which can make it more expensive by as much as 25%.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    At this point I should probably be cutting back on bulk buying just due to not many people around that much anymore, but the deals you get are hard to pass up. As long as I have the space, I might still give in.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy in bulk because I believe that there are some favorable incentives to be had from this action. Buying in bulk allows for lower purchasing costs because of discounted prices, my transportation cost would be lowered because I would be making fewer trips to purchase goods, abndnd I would be saved from frequently running out of supplies and having to run to the store. To sum it, up buying bulk could be more convenient and more cost effective.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Well, considering at the moment I don't have easy or convenient transportation I tend to buy in bulk when I get the chance. Really don't see much of a point in going to the grocery store every day, I would try to limit it down to at least once a week or maybe twice every two weeks. Also, I try to look out for some pretty good deals in the store.

18. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    A rule of thumb for me is to never buy perishable items in bulk. I shop weekly for things like egg, bread and milk. However any other item I prefer to buy in bulk. Things like soap, lotion and other household frequently used substance I prefer to buy in bulk whenever I can.

19. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    We do shop in bulk once a month, in the rest of the time we are shopping little in every day. We prefer to eat fresh meat or vegetables and fruits, especially the eggs (we buy only 10 eggs at once). Sometimes is hard to go shopping almost every day but this is the price to pay if we want as our food to be fresh!

20. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We do not usually buy in bulk, as we did that when both my husband and I were busy working in the office, and we thought this might help us to save time and money to buy in bulk, but at the end, we could not finish consuming the stuff and it became wasteful. I guess this still works if one has proper planning, but we didn't. Now we usually buy grocery once or twice a week. Going grocery shopping everyday is considered time consuming for us, not just wasting the petrol, but if it's just two minutes for you, perhaps it can also be considered as a good exercise to buy the goods you need everyday.