Do You Buy In Bulk?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jasmine2015 • Nov 8, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when my family goes to certain stores like Sam's Club, we tend to buy in bulk for certain things. Like for instance, we might buy condiments in bulk like ketchup, mustard, or BBQ sauce. We also tend to do this with some meat like chicken wings or tenders.

As for clothes, I'm guessing you might buy in bulk when it comes to something small like socks and underwear. I tend to buy in bulk if I can when it comes to yarn. If you have kids the sale on school supplies tends to be around July or August and then you could get folders and loose leaf paper really cheap compared to buying it any other time.

2. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    Absolutely you have to buy in bulk. This is especially true of things that you know you are going to need. I don't buy milk in bulk because it will go bad before I use it, but like toilet paper and water can be bought in bulk. Whatever can be kept and that I know I will use, then I go for bulk. As long as the price matches the value.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy in bulk only when there's a need to. I mean, we don't always buy a whole box of canned goods but enough to last for a week or two. There are certain things we buy in bulk, though, because doing so is more cost-efficient. Things like tissue paper rolls (for the bathroom), scouring pads and razors are better off bought in bulk.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy in bulk for certain items, especially ones that are easy to store and are actually beneficial to purchase wholesale. For example, when I buy paper towels I make sure to just grab as many as I can because I know I'll get more out of my purchase when I buy in bulk and as far as storage it is easy for me since this is an item that is hard to mess up. Even if it gets stores somewhere where it gets a bit cramped it won't end up degrading the quality of the paper since it doesn't really matter if it gets flattened a bit as long as the paper is still absorbent.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm single with no kids but I buy some things, like detergent, in large quantities. However, I've been contemplating getting a Costco card because they have such awesome things. Back when I lived with my then-fiance, we were going to get a deep freezer to store bulk perishables but it never came to fruition.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There used to be a store here called Makro where majority of items are sold only in bulk - mostly packed in 10 pieces. The discount is significant although some shoppers couldn't afford to buy in bulk. That store had closed in favor of the SM Hypermart which is now the leader in supermarkets. The SM Hypermart is pioneering in fresh products on a retail basis that's why it is now a shopper's favorite.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Occasionally yes and although where I live - we don't have wholesale stores that regularly sell bulk items at ridiculously low prices - as we do have a few stores - who at various times throughout the year will offer really good deals on certain items if bought in bulk - I do generally like to take advantage of those times to stock up on non-perishable items that I use regularly.

Especially as the savings made from bulk buying - paper products, trash and freezer bags, foil, batteries, cat food and personal care products at these times - are huge and add up to a very significant amount over the course of a year.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do buy in bulk a lot of the time, and I will admit that I think it is a great thing to do. You can certainly save a lot of money in the long term from buying in this way, and it also means that you won't have to visit the shops as much, so you will save money on fuel, too, which can only be a good thing. As long as you're able to use the products before they go out of date, there is no reason that you shouldn't buy in bulk.

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    For me, buying in bulk is necessary for everyday items I use a lot, such as baby diapers and wipes. I usually purchase the large boxes of diapers and wipes with coupons and/or on sale, because the price per diaper or price per wipe ends up being the cheapest this way.

However, on other grocery items I have found that buying in bulk may not always have the lowest per unit price, depending on sales, special promotions, store brand cost, etc. When in doubt, I whip out my calculator on my smartphone in store to determine which brand and size is the best per ounce/unit price, so that I get the most for my money.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes we do buy in bulk, but mostly tissue paper or sachets of shampoo. You really can save a lot of money by buying in bulk rather than buying things separately.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Buying in bulk doesn't work for our family. There is just the two of us my Mother and I, so we tend to buy weekly for our food. Weekly purchases of veggies and fruits works fine with our family. Luckily we like inexpensive things to eat like tofu, nato, oatmeal, so we tend to have enough not buying in bulk.
    [​IMG] This is nato fermented soy beans that's very inexpensive if you like to eat it. It has an odor like some cheese does that can be pungent to some people. Image from

[​IMG] image from

I love fried tofu.[​IMG] image fromhttp://happyherbivore.com/2011/11/vegetable-sources-protein/.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like buying bulk for non-perishables like cleaning materials, pasta, rice, sugar, toilet paper and toiletries. I find when we do, these things can easily last us 3-4 months, which relieves the pressure when we go for our weekly shopping. I also like to buy lounge wear maybe not in bulk, but rather 2-3 lots of stuff like tank tops, bottoms and socks. It works out cheaper both in the short and long term.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some things which I regularly buy in bulk and others which I don't. I always buy fresh fruits when they are in season [in bulk] and freeze them. It does save me some money because soon after the prices always start edging up.

Everything else I buy only what I need for one week because the prices don't change that much.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a great deal of space at home so only bulk-buy if there's a significant saving to be had and it's something that gets used regularly. I am brand faithful to certain things like coffee and toothpaste so always take advantage of the special offers on these when they come up as the brands I prefer are not the cheapest.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy anything in bulk. However, my mom will sometimes buy pet food in bulk Actually, buying in bulk is not always a good idea. For instance, with meat, a lot of it ends up being frozen and frozen stuff doesn't taste as good.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The S&R supermarket is one of our favorites because the main products there are imported from US and Europe. However, the packaging is always in bulk like soda in a case of 24 cans (or bottles). Even the fruits are packed in bundles of half a kilo of strawberries and cherries. Even the potato chips are in large packs. But after computing the cost, it is really cheaper to buy in bulk in that supermarket. My favorite there are the chocolates particularly Milky Way and Cadbury products.