Do you buy in-game purchases?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by daimashin • Mar 13, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    How many of you spend money buying DLCs and add-on packs for games? I never buy them unless I really like the game and want more of it. My perception of these in-game purchases is that they are ripoffs. I feel that some of them could've been included in the vanilla game. Some of it are on the disc itself but they insist on selling it separately.

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them either and the more there are the more discouraging it is to keep playing. I like having the latest versions and access to everything so when there's lots of DLC I lose interest like I have in Battlefield and The Sims. The Sims expansions and micro transactions are the worse I've seen in any game and yet people still pay for them.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I also realized that if I am patient and wait for a year or so, there is usually going to be a re-release with all the DLCs and extras included. I've been tricked a few times before so these days I don't buy games new, I'll wait for such "edition" or wait for a price drop before buying the game. Unless it's a game I'm really looking forward to, I won't buy them right away.

4. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I don't pay extra money for any type of game add on's. It seems like every game you can play for free tries to make it so that it is exceptionally hard to move forward in the game without paying real money towards things. If I wanted to purchase things it wouldn't be for imaginary things in games lol.

5. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I have paid a few times for in-game items and have been satisfied with my purchases the vast majority of the time. Keep in mind, though, that the games I did this for gave me no power-level boost for my purchase. For example, I've bought a mount in World of Warcraft and I've bought weapons from TF2 that I could acquire through trade or patience. If you're on a budget? No, do not buy these things. Ever. If you have some pocket change and you feel like you want to add some spice to your game? Yeah, go ahead, try it out.

6. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    DLC and the like was fine back when the concept was new and it was mostly just nice little extras. A lot of the companies now want to sell you half-a-game and then charge you more to play the rest of it. Some people complain about the 'monthly subscription' model, but at least you were often guaranteed to get most or all of an initial release and only had to purchase the new content expansion packs once if you absolutely wanted them. Sometimes they were free if you were a long term player.

I don't have an issue with buying stuff to use in a game. Want a neat little something extra? Go for it. I am all for people with extra cash buying fluff in an awesome game. Want a six headed dragon mount that breathes out different flavors of ice cream? Sure, pay for it. It's no more powerful than the other hydra it just isn't as commonly seen. It's when you have to pay to advance or get out powered by people who buy their way forward that problems pop up.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with most of you, I consider them to be complete ripoffs! When I pay for a game, I pay for the whole game. If new content is released then it should be free, since it's still part of the game. I hate how companies release games that are short and not that well done, just because they know that they can get off by releasing the content later on and charging for it.

Never bought a DLC, and I seriously think I never will.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    DLC's I don't buy them, no unless it is enticing enough. Some DLC's are just a way developers use to rip off more money from people, some DLC's are just worthless crap. The only DLC's I download are extra missions or episodes, costumes, weapons and other crap like that, I don't buy them. But I agree with most of the replies, if you paid $60 for a game, you should get all the content that comes along with the game, I mean, you paid for it already.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally don't because I feel it ruins the experience and even if I win and complete the game, I am not as satisfied because I feel like I only won due to my payment. I'd rather just pay full price for the game up front rather than pay for smaller items and features within the game, because at least then I'd feel like I beat the game fair and square just as any other person would rather than only winning due to having more to pay for certain items. I'm not too against them, though, as I do still enjoy it when the developers balance the game enough for me not to need the purchases to win and rather just have them available for an added experience as bonus, but even then, I rarely purchase those as well.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I've only done that once. I got smurfberries for Smurfs Village because there was Itunes money left over and I think I needed them to advance. I agree that it's not really worth paying for them especially for mobile games. If I don't have the content, I always try to obtain it for free by watching a video or something.