Do You Buy Luxury Goods?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 6, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    After watching a few episodes of extreme cheapskates where millionaires actually go right overboard to save a few pennies I realized that no one really needs luxury goods. As long you can get all you need everything . . . one can do without.

It's hard though to spend your money only on food, clothing and shelter.

Would anyone here go to that extreme to save money?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luxury goods are what the media portrays as what we need and you do find out you don't need them, but they are nice.

I used to buy designer bags all the time, now I don't because I can't afford them anymore and I also don't need them. I don't even use the ones I have. They are nice, but these days we don't need luxury, but it's more of a status symbol that we do like and crave them.

I would rather save my money for traveling these days as luxury goods, well only the shallow really care. Good designer clothes that are well tailored are different, as they fit better and the fabrics are more durable, but most items it's about the logo or name.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve splurged on a couple of things in my life, but to be honest, one of them may have been my biggest purchase mistake to date. And in a weird way, that makes me feel more justified in my “posh-on-the-cheap” lifestyle - looking for the most expensive-appearing items at the best prices. Good value and all that. I do live in a small town so it’s somewhat easier to fool people, particularly when it comes to clothing, but I don’t think I’ll change my habits even if my circumstances change.

So for the most part, no, luxury goods are generally not for me. Maybe a nice designer piece of clothing if I can ever afford it, but I’d still mix it with low-end stuff.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luxury goods are basically items made from expensive materials but are ultimately useless (sorry about being too candid). Take for instance Victoria's Secret fantasy bras. They're so expensive because they're decked with crystals and other costly jewels. In truth, though, compared to regular bras, they're mighty heavy and prevent the wearer from moving freely. All bras have the same purpose, anyway. Clearly the jewels made the bra heavy on the pocket and impractical to wear.

I don't think I'm in the position to immerse myself in luxury goods yet. There are far more important things I need to spend my money on (including further education and putting up a business in the near future).

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I buy luxury goods, but I do, from time to time invest in high quality items for long term use, such as cooking utensils and and other basic items that I need around my home every day. I just splashed out on a decent set of stainless steel cooking pots that will last me for years. The same goes for my new blender. It will go a long away.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luxury is considered as superflous and what you don't need right? Then in my case, yes I do buy them. They're not that expensive, but I just like to collect them. Like right now I have 8 phones, and given the chance and finances I would like to own more if I can afford it.

7. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I'm more of a pragmatical person, to be honest, so as a conclusion I'm really not interested in these rather ephemeral goods. Of course, if I had spare money to acquire them, I would, but otherwise... I really don't care about them, and won't any soon.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As someone above does, I only splurge on things that I use regularly, where durability is necessary for longevity. I couldn't care less about appearances and being something I'm not. Having expensive things (or things that appear expensive) doesn't appeal to me at all. If that's how people achieve happiness though, so be it. I prefer to find happiness within myself, so it's always attainable :)