Do You Buy More Seasonal Fruits To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by luckycharm • Mar 19, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I do buy seasonal fruits more. It has a twofold advantage – on the one hand you can buy it cheap and on the other during season they will be loaded with more vitamins. Now we have plenty of orange available here and you can buy it at one third of the earlier price. It’s going to be rainy season so orange will keep our immunity intact.

Same is the case with other fruits like apples, pears, grapes etc. I buy non-seasonal fruits too but only in limited quantity.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in grade school, our teacher was advising us to tell our parents to buy fruits in season. Aside from the cheap price, the quality is better. Even now, that is our practice. Take for example the watermelon, it is very sweet during summer when it is in season but not so sweet in December and also expensive.

It's a good thing that there are imported fruits now in the supermarket. The choice now are varied.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do better than that, I go to wholesale market and check the rates going to several stalls/shops before buying fruits and vegetables. This way I do not have to compromise with my taste and choice but still get cheaper fruits of my choice. I buy for at least one fortnight at a time which saves me on petrol also.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Fruits are cheaper during the right season. Now that summer is on, watermelons are really sweet. I too buy them seasonally as they are a good way of rotating my food varieties.

You can also make juices out of them and store.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    How I wish we could have them when they are not in season. However, we don't have anything to preserve them like the ref. So what we do is to buy them from the mall and eat them immediately. Since they could stay for a day, sometimes we eat them on the following Since it is their off season, you know their cost is high.

Anyway, when it is their season, we could buy many of those fruits due to their affordable prices. At least for the time, we could have a good supply of those nutritious fruits. Probably someday we could have our own fridge to store them.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I eat fruits daily (many times a day... whatever be the type of them) so, when it comes to fruits I don't usually economize. I like to keep a healthy diet, and certainly the fruits are part of it (in fact, they make up a good part of my daily menu).

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to work my menu at home around when fruits are in season because that is when you are getting the best quality product, and they are much cheaper in season when they are in an abundance. When you purchase produce out of season, it comes from other areas of the world and is not as fresh and tasty as when it is in season locally.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We love fresh fruits and when in season so cheap and tastier too. We buy when in season always because they are so much cheaper. Love saving money.:D Luckily we have a tropical weather that allows us to have fruit year around, but when in season as everywhere else a lot cheaper. Frozen and canned is okay when on sale too when canned in their own juices.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy any fruits, I'm really not fond of them. However,my dad always buys bananas, it's like we have a steady supply of them. Bananas are relatively cheap anyway, so most people can afford to buy them regularly, whether it's during the peak seaason or not.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy fruits and veggies when they are in season; but when they are not in season here, they will be sent up from Mexico, or even South America, and sometimes the store gets a very good sale on those as well.
    Nothing is as good as fresh local produce that is in season, plus that is usually when the price is at its best, so the seasonal foods are the ones we buy the most of, and a smaller amount of fruits that we don't have here (like pineapple), or are just not in season.
    We have a farmer's market here, and sometimes you can find those roadside stands, and they always have the freshest local fruits and vegetables.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do buy more seasonal fruits during purchasing. Not only for saving money, I mean yes it cost me less but also seasonal fruits are more good for health too as they are more fresh and contains all the things which is good for health. And yes they taste more good. So yes I do purchase seasonal fruits more.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My Mum buys seasonal fruit and makes jams and pickles with them to preserve them. I keep meaning to go picking for berries and then make some jam. When I have gone picking, though, I have not picked enough to make any jam and ended up eating the berries raw before I could do anything with them.