Do you buy new outfits for Holidays and other special Occasions?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Dec 4, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to get something new once in a while for a special occasion. I don't really dress up for Thanksgiving, since I'm too busy cooking. I do like to have something nice to wear for Christmas and especially for New Year's if we end up going out. Sometimes, I'll pick up a new top or some cute holiday jewelry to wear with a festive shirt, but mostly I choose stuff that I can also wear at other times or for other occasions as well. I can't really afford a "wear it once" wardrobe, and probably wouldn't it even if I could afford it.

Do you like to dress up? If so, do you buy something new?

2. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I'm good for buying new outfits for all of the holidays, especially Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I always like to outdo myself from what I wore last year, depending on my budget. Dressing up is something I love to do and everyone looks to see what I'm going to wear next to the holiday gathering. It's nice to treat yourself every once and a while especially for the holidays.

3. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy new outfits for special occasions, but I do buy new fabric so that I can sew something nice for my family and myself. It is nice to have something new every once in a while and when I am going somewhere that is a new experience, I like to have something new. The clothes that I wear on that day will be used in the future. So, I don't see it as a waste.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd probably buy something new if I was invited to a special occasion, such as a wedding, or some important business meeting, but otherwise I have plenty of clothes in my wardrobe for all kinds events. Generally, I don't buy clothes that I only wear for a single occasion. I tend to choose something practical that I can later wear at work or whenever there is a call for a more "formal" attire.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't buy new clothes for holidays because I knows I'll be getting a lot of new ones through gifts anyway. I still buy some here and there for myself alongside the gifts I buy for others but I don't specifically buy the clothes for the hi day celebrations and instead I just buy them as a gift for myself for regular use.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally can't afford to buy a new outfit for every special occasion, but I would like to be able to do so LOL I mean, what woman doesn't, right? I find as I get older, I've really learnt to shop smart. I have moved away from trends/fashion, and don't get roped into those as the turnover is just ridiculous. You spend so much money on an item, blink and it's already "so last season"! What I try to do instead is to buy classy, timeless pieces that I know will stand the test of time. Also, I don't wait till there's an occasion; if I have money and I see something that I know will slot very nicely in my wardrobe I'll buy it. I spend less on casuals and lounge wear, more on workwear and even more on occasion wear. That way if an event of any type come along, I already have something I can throw together without panicking too much about what to get :)

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I would purchase something new if I was going to a specific place and wanted to impress. I can't understand people that will purchase something only to wear it once. Doing something like that sounds like a complete waste of money and irrational.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Winter clothes are particularly expensive so others think that to be able to carry out their envisioned winter fashion, they need to spend or invest some money. My approach is different, however. Thrift stores offer a number of winter paraphernalia that don't cost much. Also, buying bargained winter items during a sale won't be too hard on your budget.

9. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I would probably buy a new outfit for a wedding or a party at a new job. I'm a guy, so no one particularly cares what suit you wear as they all pretty much look the same. However, I would definitely use this as an excuse to treat myself. Fitted suits are nice but they are indeed quite expensive.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Holidays and attending special occasions is for me an excuse to buy something for myself. I am not into fashion and buying clothes is like a burden to me. It usually takes me a lot of time or even days to decide what to buy. I am a practical person and I buy clothes that can be used not only on one occasions but on any other occasions as well.

11. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I will always purchase a new holiday outfit. I only do this if I'm going out to dinner or if I visit someone's house for dinner. I want to look festive. I also want to put on something I have never been seen in before.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the town where I live since most people buy new clothes either for themselves or their kids during the holiday season and normally, the stores hike up the prices [at that time]. It would be an unwise move to buy clothes around that time. So if I need something new for the holidays I'll buy it earlier in the year [when the prices are wallet-friendly] and just store it somewhere until Christmas time or New Year's day.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always buy special outfits for a specific occasion, however if I need to go to a special event, party, a wedding, or for example for the holidays, I do like to buy new outfits. I cannot always buy new outfits just because sometimes I'm on a tight budget, but I do whenever I can. I think it's really fun to go shopping for something specific!!

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer really to buy one, but only if there's that one that I really like to wear on that special occasion. If there's not, then I'd rather wear clothes that I already have and that I really like. I don't buy clothes that I don't like, so first, there must be one that I really like before I spend money for it. Second, of course is the occasion, and the clothes that I would buy must be appropriate for that

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy new clothes when there is are special events when I am sure that the clothes I already own no longer look good. I am not really fond of shopping, so I put it off as much as possible.

16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    My family is surviving of one income right now as I am a stay at home mommy with my daughter. So I cannot afford to go out and buy new outfits for the holidays. Occasionally I may find a nice new top at a thrift store that I feel will look nice with something I might have at home. -- I also try to find new looks for the clothes i already have by pairing them differently or with new accessories.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, unless I'm required to or I happen to see something that I like. I usually buy electronic items when I want to give a gift to myself.

18. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Not really but when me and my wife go to Church for the holidays we sometimes like to dress in something that complements the other and that is when we buy a suit for the holidays but other then that we do not really go all out in getting outfits for the holidays.

19. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I use to always buy something new for the big holiday parties (Christmas parties, Thanksgiving dinners, etc.) but now I don't do it so much. I go shopping so much that I usually just have something laying around that I have yet to wear and I just end up picking from one of those things. I would mix it with something old or with one of my "go-to" pieces of clothing. I just don't think it's really worth going through all the trouble of getting a COMPLETELY new outfit.