Do You Buy Off Brand Cereal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by thisnthat • Oct 3, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Do you ever buy the store brand or other brands of cereal instead of the big name ones? They cost a lot less, but I most often only do it with generic types of cereal like corn flakes or something. Have you ever tried it with your favorites?

I recently decided to give a store brand a try for their version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It was about 40% cheaper, so I figured it was worth it. It turned out to be surprisingly good. My daughter said she couldn't even tell the difference.

I've tried some in the past, and there was a noticeable difference, but this was actually good stuff. I guess it's always worth a try.

2. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, it is worth trying cereal brands that are lesser known or not known. I have bought such off-brand cereals a few times and they were as tasty as the branded cereals. In a couple of cases, they were even better. I think, the branded ones are simply overrated or hyped just for the sake of the brand name. Other brands could be equally good in taste and quality. We only need to get out of the usual mentality that a brand is good and try others that are not branded.

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I love cereals when I was a kid and mostly everyday I eat Kellogg's or Koko Crunch but now I'm older I mostly eat Oats by Quaker.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I always do. Sometimes some cereal brands taste like the bag they came in from but in the long run, trying many and liking them more than the name brand, they are tastier and cheaper. It's always a good idea to look for a cheaper choice.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Since the first one went over so well, I decided to try another. The store brand of Honey Bunches of Oats only cost about half the price of the name brand option. I figured at that price it was worth trying out. It's quite good actually. There is a bit of a difference, but it's not necessarily a bad difference.

Next, I'm going to try out the chocolate cereal that's similar to Cocoa Pebbles. That will be the true test. It's usually the chocolatey varieties that don't stand up very well next to the national brands. We shall see if they can compete.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That cereal is very good. It's one of my favorites.

Very true about the chocolate and specially the pebbles since it acts like a sponge and sometimes retains the plastic taste,

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy it, but possibly there is no real difference in it and the name-brand stuff. However, that's not saying generic is always better though. For instance, there is a definite difference between Coke or Pepsi and some generic supermarket cola.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I am looking for more ways to save more I always buy the off brand cereal. I have tried a couple now and most of them are as good as the original. My favorite so far is the fruitloops copy, I think it tastes even better than the original. I still have to find cinnamon toast crunch copy, can't wait to give that one a try.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Generic cereals can be good if you add some toppings like fruits. I buy generic cornflakes and crush them and use them as fried chicken breading because it is cheaper than corn meal. Corn based breading for meat and fish is much more tastier than flour based ones.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of research before deciding on buying an off brand for any product since most often than even though they are cheaper you could sacrificing quality and healthy nutritionists, which is not worth it in any way.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    It's a very practical but unhealthy food.

I used to eat cereal when I was a kid (I was kinda addicted and my parents hated it), and I liked it a lot. Today, I rarely eat cereal and I have no favorite brand.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was raised in oatmeal and there is only one brand for us - Quaker Oats. Almost all of the kids during my time have oatmeals for breakfast and sometimes even for snacks. My mother-in-law who is a stroke victim is now subsisting on oatmeal, that is her staple food since she is on soft diet. What's good in a popular brand is the assurance that the product's quality cannot be compromised. New brands cannot be easily trusted when it comes to food items.

13. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with you when it comes to Coke or Pepsi. On the other hand, generic Diet Dr. Pepper is better tasting than the brand name one, in my opinion.

The cereals are quite similar in flavor and texture. Some types are not as good, but I might as well save some money with the ones that are. I don't eat much cereal, but the kids like some. They are picky, so if they like it, I know it's good.

Many people believe that, but it's not necessarily true (at least not in all areas). Here, minimum standards must be met for food, so it isn't a trust issue with off brands. The taste might not be exactly the same, but the safety isn't in question. Besides that, I've noticed that a lot of popular brands have also started using cheaper ingredients. Many don't taste as good as they once did.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried buying store brand variants of cereals, but I wouldn't mind trying them out if one of them caught my fancy. I think it has been 2 decades since I last ate cereal, and at that time my mom always bought me Milo and Koko Crunch. Yummy. I won't mind eating them again now as an adult.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I love cereals especially when I was a kid! Cereals has been a part of my childhood and my all time favorite would be Nestle's Honey Gold Flakes. I've tried other cereals like Koko Crunch, Honey Stars, Fruity Loops and more but we haven't bought unbranded cereals or haven't tried any of it yet but I always see some at the grocery store but simply ignore them. Some unbranded ones are more expensive than branded ones so I don't think I'll ever try them.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to get a store brand once and we liked it! Surprisingly enough, like many here discovered, it's really good and has less sugar too! There is only one brand of cereal Kix has the lowest amount of sugar. I always wondered what it tastes like. Just yesterday I met a nice shopper and we began to talk about cereal for we were in the aisle, then I asked about Kix. What a nice surprise it was that it tastes like Sugar Pops but not as sweet. Well, I was going to to get some one day now I know what Kix tastes like with such a low sugar amount too. I look for sales, like this week Walgreens has some on sale, but Walgreens is always higher if you buy just one and it's 2/$5, one will be 2.99 not 2.50. Walmart has good store brand cereals and it's cheaper than sale prices so you save money as well as get a cereal that tastes good.

17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the Walmart brand "Great Value" cereal is good. The ones I mentioned above are fairly comparable in flavor to the brand name ones, and you can get a large box for the same price as you would pay for the small box of the national brand.

I also like the cereal at Aldi, or at least the ones that we have tried from there. They're nearly half off the price of the others, so I think they're worth trying. I have yet to test some of them, but so far, we've been pretty pleased with the ones we have had.

I don't think I've tried any from Walgreen's, but if they have the branded one on sale that could work too.

Has anyone tried the ones that come in bags? I remember buying some of those when the kids were little, like the one that is a knock off of Crunch Berries. It seems like they are only available in really large bags around here now though, so I haven't purchased any of them. I don't think we would use that much before it got stale.

18. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I will alway try own brand cereals because I think there is very little difference between them and the popular brands. Take Weetabix for instance. Lidls does it's own brand and I honestly can't tell the difference. The portions might be slightly smaller but then the price difference is quite substantial.

Lidls also do their own version of Schloer grape juice which is literally only half the price of the original juice and I can't tell the difference at all.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have using oats for my breakfast. I have tried buying the branded one for I hadn't yet known the other branded oats but less popular. What I got is the same nutrient I received from the branded popular one when I shifted to the lesser known brand. What I am referring to is Ram Instant Oats which I use for my breakfast. It is easy to cook. Just a hot water is enough for it then I mix it with some banana cuts.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I tend to get generic cereals. I will buy brand name if I have a coupon. Otherwise I am happy withe generic. It is usually just happy with the generic. It is often significantly cheaper than the brand name. I think it doesn't matter what kinds of cereal I eat. I want to save money.