Do You Buy Or Dig For Worms To Go Fishing?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by MrsJones • Apr 25, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I was introduced to fishing when I got married. My husband would always go to a bait shop and get worms. Duh? Why not just dig for worms? You can get a little exercise in while you're digging and they are free! Ask a child to do it make it into a game? What's your preference?

2. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    Worms are great but I don't do either, I am addicted to using jigs with plastic worms(and frogs, and lizards). I find that when I use worms I can't get the smell off my hands for days and that the fish don't bite any more from jigs with real worms than jigs with plastic worms.

The reason is probably that when you use jigs and bounce them off the bottom it's the motion that triggers the strike and not the scent. I'd imagine it's hard to tell exactly what it is that is disturbing the soil on the bottom so much so the fish probably bite first and taste later. Wait, do fish even have taste buds? Hmmm, they don't have a tongue, lol.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My husband has a lot of those things to and always gets more we he passes by the sporting goods section. I think he just wants to see if it makes a difference if he will catch more.

Our grandson loves to dig for worms but I do the digging and he gets the worms. I'm still a little squeamish with worms to notice a smell.

I really never wondered if a fish has taste buds but I'd have to agree with 'bite first and taste later' analogy for the obvious reason they are eating going to bite or not bite.

Frogs and lizards? That's got to be expensive. I'm picturing a frog on the end of the line right now lol.

4. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I love to fish. Where I am from, fishing is one of the most popular hobbies that you can have. I usually tend to dig for my own worms because where my house is, there are tons of worms around. Whenever it rains, that is basically free worms. Sometimes, if a friend of mine is trying to make money by selling those worms, then I will buy them.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really fish with worms all that often to really have a preference either way, but the few times I have used them, I've just bought the worms from a bait shop. I prefer to use power-bait and lures. Around the spots where my dad and I fish, those seem to be the best way to catch fish and we never really had much luck when we did try worms.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    If we use worms my husband and I usually buy them. I'm with you on the fact that it makes more sense to dig for them, but it just doesn't seem to work out that way. When I'm not looking for them I find worms all over the farm while I'm doing whatever I happen to be doing at the time, but when I actually go digging for them it seems they've all gone to China.

7. shanetx1969

shanetx1969New Member

Threads:
    My father-in-Law have always had the best luck in using live worms right out of the back yard. There's just something about the freshness of the worm that seems to attract more fish. Besides, it is also a great bonding experience with the family. Albeit, digging in the dirt! I think the kids enjoy it even more than the adults!

8. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I buy them from the fridge at Wal-Mart before I go fishing. It might take a while to find some to dig out of the ground. You have to be in the right area for that. I'd rather go the easy route. Plus the ones from the store have a really good amount in the tub.

9. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy worms or crickets before I go fishing if I am going to use them. I generally do not however. I am more a fan of the lures I get from Bass Pro and have had a great amount of luck with those over live bait. It never really occured to me that my kids might enjoy getting to dig in the dirt a little though so we might set them to work next time! Ha!

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like fishing and if I were to buy worms each time I went fishing I'd have spent a lot of money by now. Digging for worms also doesn't offer you any guarantees. You could dig and fail to find a worm. It's better IMHO, to "grow" the worms you intend to use as bait.

It's easy. Build a medium sized trough, fill it with soil. Buy worms and place them in the trough. Cover up the soil with mulch [this will be food for the worms].

You won't have to buy worms. Ever again.

11. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I use worms, I just buy them. Yes, digging is free, but I'm not too keen of getting my hands dirty and gross. In reality, you're not really paying for the worms. You're paying for the convenience of not having to dig for them.
    However, my dad and I will often go to the beach and catch fidder crabs with our bare hands. That is fun!

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I remember as a kid doing some fishing with a jar of salmon eggs and catching some nice trout and yes I think I did use worms one time as a really young tyke-but I do not fish to much as a adult. If I go fishing today though I would really get into the zen of fly-fishing since I have my fly-fishing equipment to do those things. I think fly-fishing has a great soul to it and some of the flies you use are very interesting and artsy as well-and even if you do not catch any fish its still good for the soul !

13. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I and my son we dig to find worms when we are going fishing, besides we are making a huge polenta to throw it in the water where we will post our camping. When we go fishing we are not spending money on worms or beat for fish, we prepare it from home.
    The only cost we have is the gasoline of our car and the food for us!

14. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I only went fishing twice when I was in high school, and I was asked to dig the worms on our own as I went together with my friends. If I will ever go fishing again, I agree with you I will dig the worms together with my kids. We have found many worms in our small garden, and it isn't difficult to get them, so I would prefer to save the money.

15. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well the season of the decides if I buy or dig for worms when I want to go for a fishing trip. If it's raining season, there would be surplus worms to bear in the earth surface and not to talk more of digging to get more. During raining period, worms are very easy to get so it's more economical to get worms myself without spending on buying.

But if it's during dry seasons, one hardly see any worms, so therefore one would have to resort to buying worms to be used as bait for fishing trips.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't fish because I don't like it, but answering likemy father would respond (because he loves to fish, haha): "I always buy my baits because I hate getting dirty and / or wasting time.". :)

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't fish like I use to when I was a bit younger but personally I prefer to dig up the worms myself. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, when I was younger I would always go out and look for bugs, lizards, frogs and snakes and try to keep them as pets. It was cheaper than buying one and more fun, same goes with finding bait for fishing.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If I knew that I could get some I would, and do, but the last couple times it has been dry and I got about one or two, which is just not enough. Maybe I should just stock up after a good rain.

19. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I personally always dig for worms just before a fishing trip.I live in a hot and wet area where worms are in plenty.The concept of buying the worms in a bait shop has never really been introduced to me before so I think my answer on preference may be a little biased.However,besides being economical to extract worms from the ground,it is also exciting.For thrill seekers like me who like to squeeze the joy from every fun moment,you understand what I am talking about.When I am planning to go for fishing,or any other activity for that matter,I like to be old fashioned and slow:I imagine how my ancestors handled the activity and try to emulate them.I find joy in these little things that differentiate me from everyone else in this modern world.