Do You Buy Over-the-counter Multi-vitamin Supplements?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by moondebi • Jan 2, 2017.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Multi-vitamin supplements are often taken by many to beat their overall nutritional shortfall. There might not be any remarkable health benefit, but multivitamins have frequently been promoted to replenish our system.

There’re several brands of multi-vitamin available in the market. Have you ever popped them up to overcome the nutritional deficit? Did you feel any difference? Do they really help?

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe that a multivitamin supplement does help. Even if we eat a balanced healthy diet, there may always be a vitamin or mineral that we could miss out on.

I've been taken vitamin supplements for years but I cannot say that they make me feel any different. If I were to stop taking them, I may feel the difference then. I also take a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement which I do feel the difference quite remarkably. Especially if I haven't taken it for a little while and then take one for a few days, my joints feel quite supple again.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do buy multivitamin supplements from the pharmacy or medicine store nearby. The fact is our body sometimes need more vitamins that we can get ordinarily from food. To meet the shortfall getting the vitamin supplement is the correct remedy. As a step towards correcting any shortage there is a particular soft drink I always go for because it is fortified with vitamin C.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    To be frank I am against using artificial ways to fortify my body with vitamins. I would like to get vitamins through the food we take. We are blessed with a lot of fruits and vegetables which are loaded with many essential vitamins. We can have all vitamins from the nature and there is no need to take pills.

Moreover, some artificial vitamin supplements are also said to have adverse effect on our body. For example iron supplements over a certain limit can harm our liver. I would prefer consulting a dietitian with a health report than taking those vitamin pills.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I don't take multivitamins since I am not sure if they actually work. My aunt normally buys multivitamins for my grandmother over the counter, and there seemed to be no problem with my grandmom taking it. However, aside from multivitamins, my aunt also gives my grandmother natural vitamins that can be found in fruits and vegetables. She believes that it's the best source of vitamins :)

6. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't take multivitamins. I try to take diets which will fulfill all my requirements. I don't like taking any sort of medicines or tablets. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, you will get all the vitamins that you need.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Supplements are good for those over 35 (ladies) and senior males. The mlst commonly needed in this age group is calcium.

Other multivitamins are essential for those with comorbid conditions like DM.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't take vitamin suppliments as I don't feel I need them just yet. I used to take a vitamin pill a day which was included in my daily routine but soon found out I could live with out it. Instead of taking suppliments I opted to make healthier food choices and I felt that this worked better than any suppliment. I feel I have energy and the ability to with stand the activities of everyday life now.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have and still sometimes do, but it is getting more and more difficult to actually justify them. I hear so many things that I bet give it a couple more months and I might be off completely.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a skinny lad when I was in high school so my mother used to buy the bottle of multi-vitamins. But that did not make me gain weight although I felt stronger maybe (or perhaps it was only a psychological effect on me). But now, I do not recommend multi-vitamins because it is much better to go natural – eat a blanced meal in moderation, do regular exercise also in moderation, get enough sleep. It’s also a plus if you can eat fruits and vegetables more often. That’s what I had been doing since I was in my 30s. Not really to save on the cost of multi-vitamins but I have lost my belief in that bottle of pills.

11. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    I use supplements but I do not consider them as an alternative for the vitamins and minerals that I can directly get from the food and fluid I take.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that I'm eating a healthy mix of the basic food groups but I still take over-the-counter multivitamins because I know that my diet can't provide all the nutrients my body needs. Taking antioxidants regularly has helped protect me from common illnesses and the effects of stress and they're not even expensive. I'm using a local multivitamin brand made by the company behind the nationwide chain of drugstores in my country and they cost less than half the price of the more popular international brands.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That's correct though I take supplement I do not allow it to take the place of the actual raw vitamins. The fact some supplement are not as effective as the natural food substances. This can be seen in Omega 3 fatty acids supplement when compared to the actual marine fishes.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I am getting some aching in my joints which is probably unavoidable considering I am in my 60s now. I have recently started taking Omega 3 supplements as I have heard these are good for the heart and help with joint pain.

I haven't been taking them long so it's too early to tell yet but I will do an update in a few weeks to see if I notice any difference. I could eat oily fish like sardines or mackerel but I honestly don't think I can stomach them on a regular basis :(

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take multi vitamins and other herbs & supplements. I take multi vitamins for people over 50 yrs. old a generic brand from Walmart. I find a lot of inexpensive vitamins, herbs and supplements at Walmart and Vitamin Shoppe. Both stores have store brands with good quality vitamins, herbs and other supplements. I also buy from SwanstonVitamins.com for they always some kind of good deals going on. Multi Vitamins I believe helps with the gaps of what food don't give you. If you take statins, which robs your body of CoQ10, it's a very good idea to take a supplement of CoQ10 when you take your Sinvastatin. I read from a doctor's report that you can't get enough from foods to replenish what Sinvastatin takes away so it's better you take a supplement of CoQ10 so your body has enough of CoQ10 that Sinvastatin takes away to keep healthy. Dr. Sinatra's article about supplements. Don't have to buy his brand, there are a lot of other good brands in stores or online too. Here is Dr. Sinatra's site on supplements.

Here is the url for information about CoQ10:

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I purchase supplements, not as an alternative to natural vitamins and minerals, but to ensure that I may be able to have the full complement of the daily requirements. I have purchased some on my own and sometimes as recommended by my family doctor.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No. This is definitely not my kind of thing. :confused: I'd rather to spend my money buying real food because it's something that I can feel the true taste and that satisfies me. ;)