Do You Buy Pets Online?

Discussion in Pets started by Jasmin Cottontail • Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Online store are popular nowadays. Most people tend to buy stuffs online than to their local store. It is indeed hassle free and you can choose products or items that you want to buy in the convenience of your home by just looking up or searching the web. However, there are some things that you might want to consider when shopping online, like for instance, pets. We certainly check items online before checking them out, but how about if we want to buy pets?

In my opinion, I would rather buy or look for a pet at a local store than to buy it online. In most cases, people tend to buy online to save money and to save the hassle. However, in this case, you might want to see the pet that you would like to buy in person and see to it that it is healthy and well taken care of before buying it.

How about you? Have you ever tried buying pets online? Or ever considered it? Or do you usually go to a pet store to buy pets?

2. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Please refrain from buying pets online via unknown and greedy breeders. A lot of NGOs and animal welfare organisations such as PETA are strictly against buying pets online and are leading many petitions and protests to stop the same. These online sellers separate small pups too early from their mothers, leading to the risk of lifelong health issues for the pet. They even sell cross breeds regarding them as pure breeds so you stand a fair chance of being cheated.

Please be considerate, go to a shelter in your area and "Adopt" a puppy or a dog in need for a forever home and your love. They too deserve your care and love as they have either been abandoned by their owners or have lost their owners and ended up in the shelter. These dogs often end up being Euthanized as there aren't enough people to adopt them, so be a good human being and save a life. Please!

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My Carly was bought online and it wasn't a bad thing. When I lost my dog, Sasha a year ago I wanted to get a pup to be a playmate for my other dog Loopyloo. There are no pet shops around where I live, and the ones that are, do not have any pets, especially dogs.

I looked in the papers and there were no pups for sale there either so I had to look online. I found a pup in a litter that I liked the look of and arranged an appointment with them to go and view. I saw the Mum and all the litter and I was very satisfied that they were all in good health and happy. They were in a clean environment and he was able to show me the inoculations for the pups as well as the medical history of the mum.

I live a long way from shelters and it was not possible for me to visit one. I also had a bad experience at a cat shelter so I am hesitant about returning to one.

I used to live in a very quiet area, with only two other houses in my street which was a cul-de-sac. There were rarely any cars about. It was a Sunday afternoon and my cat was crossing the road. The driver was about to set off but noticed my cat. They both hesitated at the same time, and both thought the other was going to wait, and then my cat got hit and died.

I went to a shelter to take an older cat and they were really quite horrid to me and made me feel awful. They said that they would have to check me out and my place out. That is okay and I understand why, but they actually said to me that I may be refused because I let my cat get runover. They actually blamed me for my cat getting run over. I was devastated and I will never forget that, they made me feel awful and I was so upset, not just because losing my cat, but taking the blame like that.

What did they want me to do? Keep my cat indoors forever? It was a Sunday afternoon in a very quiet area yet I still got blamed. I doubt I will ever forget how that shelter treated me.

So by going to a reputable breeder that I found online, has actually stopped my little pup Carly being put in a shelter! Because I bought online, it doesn't mean that I am irresponsible because those pups still got checked out. My pets are still in a forever home.

It is true that some online breeders are bad and don't follow the rules, but when buying a pet you should go and see it for yourself and just look for it online. If you find that it is a puppy farm and the animals are being treated badly, you can always report it. But not all pets sold online are sold too soon or treated badly, you just have to go and check them out for yourself first.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well the question threw me for a loop at first, but then when I started thinking about it I guess it is not too crazy, and probably getting more and more popular. Might save you some money too.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what? It is not janemariesayed's fault it was an accident. I know for my favorite dog Pepe died by car accident too. He's a little mutt when full grown, so the car didn't see him and he got hit. You know what else he was trying to come to me when he got hit by a car and died. I yelled no Pepe stay home, but he was running towards me already then the car hit him. I asked my Priest to please have a burial for him to let him know how sad and how bad I felt, but he was gone crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge. I felt so bad until I gave him a burial. We love our pets no matter what happens in life. When upsetting things happen way beyond my control, I pray and give the situation to God to solve, then I fell better and can move on. Buying online if done right like what janemariesayed did is perfectly fine. I've bought through the newspapers too, but I go check it out before committing anything. When going online to buy a pet is not good, but to check out if the pet is right for you via internet, is fine, but never give money or information online for a pet, just be safe and check it out. If they ask you for information or money right away, I'd be suspicious and diplomatic and wouldn't even ask for information to see the pet. Going with someone when you make an appt. so see the pet, is a good idea for going alone to a stranger's place may not be a good idea.

6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I've got my pet from one of my relatives whose dog gave birth to two male pups.
    However, I'm not extremely against buying pets online. They might have taken some unethical breeding practice, but then this could be equally true for an offline local vendor. Sometime they even lie about the pedigree to escalate the price further.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can't fathom the possibility of getting pets online from a far away country or destination. How do they get the pet across alive. I wouldn't consider this as an option for buying my pet. All the while the few pets I have owned I got them from local pet homes or the open market. Well I don't think pet qualifies as what should be sold or bought online.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I would never dare to buy any animals online (not... at... all o_O). At the very least, I think this is very insensitive on the part of sellers and potential buyers.

Animals aren't objects, they're living beings and deserve respect. When making such a purchase, you have to see the animal, feel the animal, see if there is "chemistry" (between you and the animal) so that there's no further regret... After all, you'll not be able to "throw away" afterwards.

9. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Online doesn't mean 'far away'. One of the main ways pets get rehomed in the US is through Petfinder or a rescue website. I found both of my dogs through a rescue website, followed by a meet up and hand over. It's not like you put a dog in a box and mail them.

I would avoid getting a mammal without a direct contact because there are a lot of puppy scams out there, so you might get nothing or a sick animal or even a stolen one. But I have bought aquarium pets online many times from reputable sources. They ship very well so long as it is not too cold.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are dog lovers and the dog is our only pet now... we had a pigeon previously. If I am to buy a dog, I would go to the store or the breeder to select the particular pet. I wonder how one can buy a pet online since what you see online is only the picture and specifics but you don't exactly know the entirety of the dog.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm now looking to buy a Siamese or Persian cat online to add to my "family", since I'm not really choosy in the sense that I don't mind if it doesn't have any papers. Pets in pet shops tend to be more expensive, so I tend to look online. I always look for reputable breeders, and they should be genuine cat lovers, so if they are inherent cat lovers then I know that the cat will be in good hands.