Do you buy premium gas?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Oakster • Jan 17, 2014.

1. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Do you get the cheaper gas or do you go for the premium-quality?
    Í usually go for the cheaper quality and off-brand, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy premium.

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, I have a Lincoln Navigator and that all it uses, It burns my pockets up when it time to travel, and I have to constantly stop to get gas.It is extremely high and it makes traveling so hard when I want to take my kids on a road trip.

3. DomDom

DomDomNew Member

Threads:
    I dont use premium gas. I wish i had the money to afford it though. I have been told it "uses up" your engine less.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't buy premium unleaded, but I don't buy from a no-name gasoline station either. I also don't buy ARCO gas. It's cheap, but it doesn't last very long. Also, my engine doesn't run as quietly when I used to use it.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually get the regular gas, but in a good reputable gas station. My mom used to always put premium in her car, until a mechanic at the place she fixed her car told her it was totally unnecessary. Then she stopped and it never made a difference. So I never put premium, and as far as I know my car works normally!

6. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Probably the last five years I do go for regular due to the prices. I am surprised that I really have not noticed a "pinging" or anything else. Like most of you, I heard the hire octane is better, but who can afford it all the time?

7. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. My car doesn't need it so it's just an extra cost if I would buy premium. I didn't even know some cars really need premium gas. I always thought it was just something you could do if you wanted a little extra power.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use premium gas either in my car because it is more expensive. I don't know if it is my ignorance, but why would I pay more for fuel? Will it make more miles? Will it make me go faster (not this for sure). Probably it's just better for the car, but in my current condition I simply can't afford that.

9. 29525500

29525500Member

Threads:
    Ok, so "premium" gas is not what you may think it is. The higher octane rating of the more expensive gasses will not cause your car to run better in any way and the only time you should really use it is when your engine was specifically built for it as is common in sports cars or motorcycles. If you do not have the correct compression ratios for that octane rating you are at best just spitting extra fuel out of your exhaust and at worst can cause misfires or non ignitions.

If you want to know more about this or specifically why this is the case than the Wiki article on octane ratings in fuel is worth a read.