Do You Buy Second Hand Items To Save Money?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ADSSOLSN • Apr 14, 2017.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of buying second-hand merchandise, however, a situation may arise where I would need an item that is urgently required for the completion of something important but I could not find the money to purchase a new one. In this case, I would have to make an exception and go for the used item because I would not have another option

2. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying second hand items. But it depends on what that item is. If it is an electronic item, I prefer to buy it first hand. Same goes to the computers, laptops etc. Furniture etc. I have no problem in buying them second hand. Clothes also I would see the condition before buying them.

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Salvation army thrift stores are great because not only you save money, The proceeds goes to charity. When it comes to gadgets I usually sell my old ones to Iretron because I know they will repair them before selling them to the new owners.

4. nmcnul75

nmcnul75New Member

Threads:
    I have bought second hand clothes from a thrift or a consignment store for both me and my kids. There are plenty like "once upon a child" for example. Children grow out of things so easily and lets be honest how many times does a little girl wear a christmas dress? This way you can sell it after she has worn it and get a new one at a reasonable price its worth doing trust me.
    I also love love garage sales etc. My husband and I bought a printer at one for $20 and it worked for about two years so we def got our moneys worth with that one.
    Its a chance you take. You should always be aware that you may regret it but thats why I dont go on Craigslist and buy a couch for $1000.00 if I wanted to spend that I would just buy a new one =)

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank I have very few things on my list that I will buy second hand otherwise I can go and pick them lying at the streets. Yes, I am serious about it that as I walk on the Australian streets I find it really astounding that a lot of items in good/usable condition lying there including fridge, washing machines, TV, computers, suitcases, kitchen gadgets and what not. I know some people pick them up in their cars and after cleaning them sell them on online sites or in second hand markets.

6. Pooja Patel

Pooja PatelNew Member

Threads:
    Go For It. If Available at Cheap Prices. I only prefer to buy second-hand products for gadgets only. You have to gain extra knowledge for this gadgets area so you not lost any money.

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It's a risky business, you can never be sure of the quality of the product, for how long the seller has owned it or even the state of it, but i always consider it if i'm trying to save money or it's something that has been cancelled or it's production has been terminated. Other than the factors that i have stated it, i would not risk it.

8. Jaylen Gomez

Jaylen GomezNew Member

Threads:
    I will not buy a second hand. First the quality matter if someone already used the item it's not a 100% anymore that is why always choose the brandnew and you ow the quality of it.

9. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have not buy any second hand items, but I think it would be good if we can have some garage sales here where we can buy good stuff even they have been used. I am not good at checking the products, especially computer or electrical stuff, hence I am not sure if I will get not working items, so I usually don't go for it. I do get a few electrical appliances from my mom, for free, and they are still working fine. I guess if I can get working stuff like this from second hand shops, then it's still good to go for it.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    As for me if I want to buy an item which is costly I invariably go secondhand. Such items tend to ad custom made with original components which means that they last longer and are more resistant to wear and tear. This is especially the case with agricultural machinery but I ignore some products in this regard chiefly household utensils and innerwear which have found their way into third world markets. I observe the cardinal rule that cheap is expensive to forestall disappointments.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There are advantages and disadvantages in buying secondhand items either in electronic gadgets, clothes, and the like. Saturday is our market day and you can see a sea of people are busy and preoccupied themselves in buying used clothing. They are indeed buying good apparel from adults to kids, shoes, bags, blankets, curtains, among others.

Those are the good things which buying a secondhand items could offer. The disadvantage may be referred to the uncertainty to where those clothes come from. They may be carrying some virus of a certain disease.

12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I buy second hand items, however, I consider number of things before I buy second hand items such as condition of the item (is it in good condition, how much life does it have) and price of the item (how does it compare to the new item, is it affordable).Usually,I don't buy second hand electronic items.

13. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a computer deak in really good condition from a second hand furniture shop close to where I live. I got it for £2 as they had a sale on and love it more than if it was new because it was such a bargain!

When my kids were little they often wore second hand clothes although I was careful to choose good quality stuff as I didn't want them to be singled out or laughed at. Now I am financially better off so most of the clothes I buy are new.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 We have thousands of shops that deal with second hand items where you can get any gadget or house hold product, furniture or anything you need at almost throwaway price. And where I am living right now people have to pay for getting rid of their used gadgets and household items. If you browse through the pages of GUMTREE the online site you will see a list of FREE items in working condition. The only condition is that you will have to go and pick them. People sometimes through good and working items on the road although that is illegale unless local council allows you that.

#34May 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I have one experienced of buying second hand mobile phone in the past. But that was long ago. I don't remember if it was gone well or not. But right now I don't I will go for second hand item to save money because of few recent experiences of my friend and cousin.

One of my cousin bough phone recently. It was working well when checked it, so he paid for it. On just second hand he started getting and knowing lots of problems. Battery wasn't well, some other lagging problems. And withing 10 days phone got dead totally. I am not saying that person cheated him. But we can't say how long the second hand item will stand. It can run for years too. So I don't think I will take any risks like that.

16. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought second hand items, so far. But, I won't mind buying one either.

Second hand products, especially when it comes to vehicles, turns out to be good deals. My brother had to change his car to an automatic version. He went for a second hand one which was hardly used for there months by the previous owner. He got an excellent deal and owned almost a new car in substantially lower price.

17. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Sometimes the only option one has is buying second-hand items. I once needed a laptop and I did not have enough money to purchase a new one. I had to look for a second hand one. I agree that not all second-hand items are perfect. Some need expensive repairs that end up consuming lots of money. However, it is your responsibility to inspect an item before purchasing it. Some are stolen items and in case you are not keen, you might end up getting arrested.

18. KunaSmith

KunaSmithNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, don't try to buy second-hand items of electronics. Because we don't know about the quality. If you want to save your money then you can try to find out for discount or cash back service. I had shopped from a cashbackhouse. I got cash back 5.7% from the cashbackhouse. Pretty good cash back on almost all of the electronics brands so far so good...