Do You Buy, Sell, Or Trade Gift Cards?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Zyni • Apr 4, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are sites where you can buy, sell, or trade gift cards with other people. You can get a gift card that is more useful to you, or you can get some cash instead. Of course, you're going to get less than what it's worth if you sell it for cash, but that's more than you would get if it just sits in a drawer, right?

You can also buy them for less, which might be a good way to save some money.

Have you tried any of these sites? Can you recommend any that are legit?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did see someplace where you can purchase the gift cards at a discount unfortunately I do not remember where I saw that information. I have given lots of gift cards as gifts that I purchased at a local store, I found that I often save a few dollars if I purchased them online with points I earned at one of the sites I post on.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought or traded gift cards on any of these sites, but I am sure that it would be nice to get some money from one that you are not going to use. The only gift cards that I get are from apps that I use and I choose which gift card to get so that I will use it.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cardpool is a great site to buy discounted gift cards from. If you've got a gift card to you won't use, you can also sell it on the site.

I've never sold gift cards on the site or any other site but I often buy discounted gift cards because even if I won't be getting a discount on some product, if I use the discounted gift card to buy it, I'll save some money anyway.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that is my biggest interest right now, (though I'll keep the rest in mind for later). I want to buy some discounted gift cards. It sounds like a great way to save a bit of money, to me.

So, you have personally used that site, and it is legit? Is there anything I should know before signing up? Oh, can I use Paypal to make purchases or what are the payment options?

I'm definitely going to give it a look. I've heard about this type of thing quite a bit, but I didn't just want to join some random site and get scammed, so thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've traded gift cards with friends before but never done anything like that online. In fact I wasn't aware that you could so I'll definitely be looking into doing that, especially if you can do it through PayPal. Thanks for letting me know that this is something that is possible to do! I didn't even realise you could buy them discounted!

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I'm thinking that this could work out nicely. I was thinking about doing this quite a while ago, both buying and selling or trading, but I never really knew which sites were trusted. I see some of them offer tiny discounts, but some of them are quite good. That works both ways, if you're trying to do all of the above. Either way, I guess every little bit helps, right?

I need to get some extra money together for a trip, so I'm hoping this will help in that endeavor. Plus, there are lots of rewards sites that pay in gift cards, so maybe I can try to rack some up quickly to sell, and buy the ones I want at discount.

8. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like gift cards, as they limit us. I prefer having some cash instead. So, If I get them... I usually sell them. If no one is going to buy them, I do one of these 2 things: I either give them away to my friends or go and take the products which automatically become subjects for sale.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, you might as well make them most useful to you. I can use many of them, since I get some that are for places I would shop anyway, but I sure wouldn't mind getting some at discount. It's liking trading nine dollars for a ten dollar bill. I'll do that all day.

My biggest question is where do you sell them? I'm trying to learn which sites are safe and legitimate. I'd like to mess around with a few sites, if they are safe to use, and see which ones give me the best deals.

I need extra money for a trip, as well as some items for the trip, so I'm hoping this will be a good option to earn or save a few extra bucks.

10. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I have never bought giftcards but I am currently saving up some money to buy one so I can acquire stuff from Amazon, I have been recommended a site that is actually legit and really sells giftcards for the actual price, no extras, it is pretty useful for me because I dont have any credit card and all I can currently use is Paypal, works perfectly for me, well, in fact, I have never seen shops that make discounts, they maybe do make them on special dates and stuff like that but until now, I have not.
    The site I am talking about is this Gyft.com (Try it If you're buying)

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't know of any sites like what you're looking for, but it's a good idea to check with the bbb.org about it too. I use my gift cards all the time. Good luck!

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for telling me about Gyft.com. I gave it a look.

That site has a nice collection of different cards from which to choose. They do charge full price though. It says you can earn points there toward the purchase of a card, but I couldn't find any info on how exactly you earn points. If you know how to earn the points, could you please let me know? I would appreciate it.

This one even has hotel gift cards, which I would love to be able to earn via points.

If anyone knows of other sites that let you earn hotel gift cards, I would be very grateful for the info. I'll be looking too. If I find any that look promising, I'll share them here.

13. SommerDemaria

SommerDemariaNew Member

Threads:
    I will try to design gift cards with music, photo, voice, video, etc. in AmoLink greeting card maker. I think animated gift cards will be funny.

#13Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha @Denis Hard@Denis Hard....I never forget the post you made recommending this site, and I was in fact just about to mention it until I saw you'd commented. I liked that post so much, I went and viewed the site and book marked it. I have yet to try it out, but i can definitely see myself using it in the future. Thanks :)

15. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done this before because I haven't done my research as to which sites are good and how the whole process works. And besides the only person who usually gives me gift cards is my godmother and she knows me quite well so she knows to get me gift cards that I'll actually use. For my past birthday she gave me an Amazon gift card and I remember getting several to Barnes & Noble. I'm trying to not buy many books nowadays though because I already have so many and barely any place for them so if she gives me a B&N card in the future, I'll definitely consider trading/selling it.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I just found another site that let's you sell, exchange your gift card. It looks pretty simple.

You can post a gift card you want to sell and people make offers. You can also buy gift cards on the site. Looks like they also offer Cardswap points you collect for each transaction you complete and then you can redeem them for gift cards on the site. This is a Canadian site.

I never knew sites like this existed. I've never sold or bought gift cards but what a great idea. I have a wallet full of unused gift cards. I think I might try this out.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the link, @purplepen88@purplepen88. That one definitely sounds good. Is it only open to Canadian members or is it just based in Canada? It sounds like a decent set up. I hope you are able to utilize it to make the most of your unused gift cards.

I still haven't really done anything with this idea. I did look into a few of the sites, but I didn't really find any big discounts on the types of things I was looking for. I will keep looking though. Who know? I might just get lucky. I still have some time yet, and I'm always finding other ways to save on my trip.

Thanks to everyone who shared info.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't sell or trade gift cards, but I found an interesting site where you can exchange gift cards for cash, coinstar.com, it seems promising:

19. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    No. I keep all of my gift cards and use them through out the year. For me, it feels like found money and I enjoy using them. I end up purchasing items that I would not be able to by on my own.

20. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if I'm not going to use a gift card, I usually sell it on ebay. I have actually gotten close to the retail value of the card doing it this way. However, most of the time I just re-gift ones that I won't use. It saves time and money. I now someone that gets a lot of gift cards from her clients and doesn't want to be bothered with ebay, she unloads them instantly at a Coinstar Gift Card Kiosk. They have them around various places. The website lists all the locations and the gift cards they accept. Most of the time, I think they only give you about 60% of the value though, but it is instant money.