Do You Buy The Size That Fits Or A Size Bigger?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DMlad • Dec 11, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Shrinking is also a concern of mine, especially when buying jeans, but these days pretty much all items come prewashed, unless it's a really cheap shop like you mention @Natasha0717@Natasha0717.

LOL, that has happened to me @pwarbi@pwarbi, but some long years ago!

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Buying oversize clothes for babies with the intent for them to wear it for a longer time as they grow would serve as one exceptional case for me. Really babies grow fast and within months could easily outgrow any new clothes. I think it's wise to get them clothes a little bigger than their actual size so they grow with it for some time before discarding.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I agree and buying for babies is a little different as they are obviously going to grow into them. In fact with our children we always bought the size above, if not even the size above that as well as we knew that if we bought the clothes the exact size needed, within a couple of months they would be to small.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, with children we always need to buy clothes a little bit bigger or else they will last nothing. The same with footwear. I have two kids and they grow a lot, so it's a big expense with clothing. Fortunately, they have older cousins and we get a lot of free clothes, even so it's a big expense too.

5. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    I never buy a size bigger. It just allows me to gain weight because I know it'll still fit! if anything I buy the next size down to be able to have a goal outfit.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, buying a size bigger just by mistake, but that's a mistake I don't do often because if I do it I have to return to the store to trade the item, and many times I don't have other available sizes and I end up getting something I don't need as much as the original piece. So I am really careful with sizes yes.

7. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I like to wear clothes that fits me, but I prefer it to be a little loose. I don't like wearing form fitting clothes. Specially during summers, its better to wear loose clothes. If my clothes are too tight, then I don't feel comfortable, I feel like I have been caged.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, in the summer it's even worse as with the heat the tight clothes make me go crazy. In the summer I wear extra large and extra comfortable clothes, as I just want to feel fresh. In the winter a little bit tighter clothes don't bother me that much, they even make me feel warmer.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am lucky in this matter as I do not have to buy a bigger or smaller size because I am almost the same for last 20 years or so. I am strictly following my workouts to stay at 75 kg or almost there so I have the advantage of buying any number of clothes and use them for longer duration.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few clothes that I bought that are tight for me in the hope that I will eventually get to wear them when I lose weight, since they were the biggest size that they had. That never happened, so those clothes are useless, lol. So I intend to just sell them. Nowadays, I make sure to buy clothes that are my size or bigger to avoid rendering those clothes useless.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am always in a dilemma when it comes to sizes and my tailors have long given up bothering with my tailoring. I change size practically every week! Either I gain or loose, somehow I can never just be constant and it is so annoying.

I love to wear fitting clothes but I have a tummy bulge that I am conscious of and so I go for a little loose clothes.

Finally, when I buy my size, I realise they are holding the tummy and I postpone wearing them. I have few new clothes waiting in the wardrobe for me to fit in them!

12. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy bigger clothes. All the fitting clothes tend to hold me tight and I don't like that in clothes. I love bigger clothes because they give you an allowance and also because they can stay for a longer time. However, it depends with your body shape, my waist is small but I have a little bit wide shoulders and thighs. I have no choice but buying larger clothes.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I wish that I could have a little more foresight and be able to predict when I was going to grow and grow out of certain clothes, but I am really unable to do that, so I am doomed to buying the ones that fit then and there. I guess it does end up wasting some money, but oh well.