Do you buy things you wouldn't just because they're on sale?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Strykstar • Jul 7, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Just yesterday I went out to buy two bottles of soda and when I got to the supermarket I saw that they had a sale where if you bought 4 bottles, they would give you two more.
    While it was a good deal, I thought that I had set out to buy two bottles so I'd just be overbuying if I got 2 more.
    Plus, where would I store 6 big 2-liter bottles of soda anyway?
    Would you have bought more in this case?

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd certainly have bought more in your situation, if I had the money to buy them at the time. Even if I had originally set out to only buy two bottles of the drink, I'd be saving money over time by picking up this deal. I can just put them away in the corner for when I need them later, can't I?

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use too, mainly because I was feeding so many people all the time, it was just easier to buy 5 boxes of macaroni, 4 bottles of soda, 2 bottles of salad dressing, whatever the deal may be. Plus I think even if it is just you, as long as it isn't a food that will spoil it won't hurt. Will save you money in the long run. I feel like I need to start doing it a little more, but I just don't eat as much now that it is just me and my husband.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely grab that offer if I were you, especially if I have money to spare to buy extra things that I don't need, because special offers or sales don't happen everyday, and I can just simply store them in the house even if I don't need them all at once yet. I remember buying VHS tapes when we don't have a VHS player because they were on sale and they cost like 60 cents each. Until now they're stuck at home and totally useless, I used to intend to have the content transferred to DVD.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Strangely enough, I never feel tempted to buy too much. For me it has something to do with reverse psychology. If there is a deal that sounds too good to be true, I first check the date and then wonder what else could be wrong with the product. If there is a sale on, I occasionally buy into it, but only if it's reasonable, and I really need the items.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If I were a regular soda drinker, then yes, I would've. It's because I would eventually be buying them anyway and would save money over the long run.

Because I'm not a regular drinker, though, then it would be silly for me personally to take advantage of this deal.

7. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I usually only buy things that are on sale if I was going to buy it anyway. Usually this goes for fruits, vegetables, dairy, and eggs. Sometimes, things I normally wouldn't buy go on sale and all of a sudden, they are affordable so I would get that as a treat for myself. I am not a soda drinker, so even if I bought all 4 bottles of soda, they would only sit in my fridge until my guests slowly drink it all. However, you set out to buy soda already. This probably means that in the near future, you will again buy soda, so why not take advantage of the deal? You are only losing money if you get only two bottles and two weeks later, you get another two bottles at regular price.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I tend to buy things on sale just because I hate to pass on a good deal. My mom was the same way and I used to question her about buying things all the time. Now I grew up and started doing the same thing. Only time I don't buy things on sale is when I don't have the money.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would because it is my understanding soda takes awhile before it expires so I wouldn't be concerned about throwing the bottles out. I also would have bought them because I not only saved myself a trip to the store somewhere down the line but would also be saving money.

10. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Even over time though it would have ended up a better deal for you, no?

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Reading the comments I feel like I really should have taken advantage of it :(
    I guess I'm feeling non-buyer's remorse if that exists.
    At the time it just felt excessive to get 12 liters of soda!

12. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    No, probably not with Soda. Then again, my husband might have. Shame on him. lol But I will admit, I have bought extra just because there was a sale going on that I liked. It's very easy to overspend that way. I guess that's why they have those sales, right? I always have to watch myself and talk myself out of it. I love buying things so sales are really hard for me to say no to. I've gotten better, though! I don't buy as much now and if I don't need it for something in the near future, I don't buy it.
    I think you made the right decision. :)

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes buy things I don't need because they're on sale, but not when it comes to food. I'm pretty good with food and overall grocery shopping, I usually make a list, buy what I need and I'm out the door, so I rarely throw food away and stuff like that, which is great! I'm more in control when it comes to food than I am when it comes to stuff like clothes, shoes, makeup and stuff like that.

14. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    In a situation like that, I would certainly have bought it. Usually, when there are sales like that, it's a really good deal. If it's non perishable, I will get it. I will use it eventually, and it doesn't take up that much space.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I am really guilty of this, but what I do is buy these items while on sale even if I dont need them but I figure that they will make someone a great christmas gift later on in the year so I dont loose I just accumulate alot of items over thru the year and at the end of the year its all gone.

16. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    No. I would rather save my money to buy things that are worth it that I need. Sometimes I do buy crap I don't need, and end up never using it. Or sometimes I will buy something just for the sake of re selling the item. Come to find out no one wants to buy it because no one needs it!

Anyways, I do get the quinch to buy things not needed when I'm at thrift stores. Let's not forget about the yard sales.

LIONZFIRE

17. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not the kind of person to do this. I usually go to the store for specific things. So usually I follow through with my plan. Also at the same time when I'm going to the store I know what I'm looking for and so I always have a good budget with. I usually stick with my budget that helps me to be less often impulsive buyer. I also tried to avoid the shop like the plague. If I can send someone else to go, then the better for me.

18. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I personally buy unnecessary things when on sale. Shopping for some people is like using drugs. When they bring home new items they get a sense of instant gratification. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long so they go buy more stuff. They just get addicted like other people get addicted to cigarettes. Another good example is when Steam has their sale. I have bought so many games just because they were on sale, and have never played them.

19. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that we all have that tendency because the concept of unnecessary is really subjective lol... :) For example, I go to the supermarket and I see cookies with 50% discount. Sure, I don't need them, but they are at a bargain price, so I buy them and we eat them at home, eventually saving money in other things we don't need to buy because we have them.

20. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    If its a better deal and will save me money, I most definitely buy the items. However, its not usually items that I would never buy in any other case. If I go to pick up staples and notice its on sale then yes, I take part. Every so often, I will have a coupon for a new item and if its already at a fair price, I will try it out. I've found some of my favorite brands this way. I love coupons!