Do You Buy Tinned Oily Fish Like Sardines?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by littlewitch66 • Jan 26, 2018.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've got to be honest I hate tinned oily fish like sardines or mackerel but it is very cheap and extremely good for you as it has a rich supply of Omega 3. I give it to my dogs to keep their coats shiny and it drives them wild and my partner loves them but they are not for me. Do you buy this type of food?

2. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, we do buy sardines or tuna once in a while. It used to be cheaper, but now it is quite expensive too. We still buy it because sometimes when I am too lazy or busy to cook, it can be served as a dish together with white rice. Sometimes we also spread the sardines on the bread. It tastes better if we add in lemon juice or sometimes onions.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Tuna and sardines in tins are great, I buy them all the time. They don't come that cheap, but aren't very expensive either, so it's a practical food to have around the house for when we don't have time to cook. Tuna, pasta and tomato sauce is one of my favourite dishes!

4. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do buy tuna and sardines, but not mackerel. I actually prefer that to fresh fish. I especially like tinned Tuna with olive oil. Like @to7update@to7update said, it's not that cheap but not particularly expensive either, so I buy a few tins occasionally. There is also tinned fish packed in water, and it is less expensive but I think it tastes pretty bad so I avoid it.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, we buy the Tome brand which is imported from Spain, I think. It is expensive but so good for sardines. But now there are local brands in the small jar that is just half the price of that sardines in tin cans. And when we sampled 2 local brands, I’d say they are comparable in quality. Now we buy those bottled sardines.

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I eat them, I like the ones in tomato sauce. I mash it and use it for omelletes and even pasta.I also use them as pizza toppings and spread for my toast. I don't mind the ones in oil neither as there are good recipes for them.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only way I'll eat sardines is dried and very dried at that. I love Starkist Tuna especially when it goes on sale here on Oahu, at supermarkets .89. I buy what I can carry on the bus sometime making 2 trips because Starkist Tuna goes on sale every once in a while. I liked Coral Tuna the best when they first began packing it, but not today. I like Starkist now. Starkist doesn't have the blood part of the fish the dark red meat, I don't like that part at all even in chicken (that's why I buy chicken tenders). Omega 3 and tuna is synonymous. For the foods you need for emergencies, we have to have 2 wks. supply here in Hawaii, these canned goods are good to have, provided the expiration dates are good (and you got a can opener-some day I hope they'll be pop tops). Luckily these tins goes on sale so it saves us money.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 I'm really surprised to hear that they are expensive in other countries as they are ridiculously cheap over here, not so much tuna but sardines and mackerel. I always thought of sardines as a poor man's meal .. I used to work as a cook in an old people's home and they loved them. They were very popular in post war times. I think it took them back to their youth.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Funny that you mention that, because I've tried the tuna in oil, olive oil, and "natural" as they call it. It's the cheapest, and it comes like in salty water, but it's my favourite, and I think it's the healthiest too, so that's the one I buy. It's a case of a product where the cheaper brands are pretty good too.

10. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    You're absolutely right. It is so good for you, especially for hair, skin, and nails as well.
    And just like you, I find something kind of gross about it....have a hard time eating it. I rely more on tuna mixed with mayo on a bed of lettuce and pecans. :)
    *But, if I had to choose sardines in a tin container, I guess I'd go for the ones that are in tomato sauce, those don't taste too bad.
    As for my cats, they LOVE sardines. I just don't buy them too often. The bones alone that you find in them...ughhh yuck. o_O:confused:

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I love eating sardines once in a while and we have several recipes built around it. There are also different flavors of both sardines and mackerel in can or in bottles. There's the Spanish sardines which is 4 to 6 times more expensive than plain sardines. I do prefer plain sardines in tomato sauce and eat them after sauteing with onions which make them more nutritious. On some occasions, we'd put lemon extracts on plain sardines it.

My cats love it too but we buy them a different brand than what we usually consume. Surprisingly, they also don't like the brand that we consume. My dog wants to eat rice mixed with the tomato sauce from sardines but we're careful not to give her the salty variety.

12. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I remember eating that way back when I was a kid. But as an adult I buy sardines and mackerels and cook them. There is a nice recipe for sardines that tastes just like tinned sardines. You just have to use all green masala such as green chillies and tomatoes put some oil and salt and pressure cook the sardines in it. The sardines remain whole and the bones also could be eaten.

13. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I normally don't like canned or tinned food, and I prefer my fish fresh. I enjoy fresh fish dripping blood before having it cooked. I cannot recall the last time I ate tinned sardines or mackerel. Maybe it was during my teenage years that I enjoyed eating such food but now, it's not for me.

14. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a good and best way to learn about each other and good foods.