Do you buy toys from the dollar store?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by andrew320 • Aug 30, 2012.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is. Some of their toys are good quality and I would buy them again. There are some I would never buy and would rather save up and buy somewhere else. One of them is Barbie dolls. They don't have regular Barbies, or my store doesn't. They have these cheap plastic dolls where the limbs and head pop off so easily. Also, I wouldn't buy the play make-up. I made the mistake of doing it, and it really was colored glue, or it seemed like it. The fake jewelry is okay, the dress up, stuffed animals, doll houses, stuff like that I have bought and never had a problem with.

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends on your definition of a "dollar store." If you're talking about Dollar General, then yes, I will sometimes browse through the toys and clothes there. They have name brand items although I can't say that they are much cheaper than say, Walmart. Now, if you're talking about an actual store where everything is $1.00 then no, most of the time I don't. For one, I don't normally find anything that would appeal to my son and secondly, the quality isn't usually that great. He doesn't get new toys from me very often because he gets so many at birthdays and holidays (not to mention the random ones throughout the year from grandparents) so when I do buy a new toy for him, I want to make sure it's something that will last him awhile.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know longer purchase toys, but I have purchased toys from the Dollar Store in the past. I have gotten a few baby items from Dollar Store also, it can be a good place to pick up a quick gift wrap and cards.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy toys at the Dollar Store only playing cards and coloring books (in regards to kids).

The main reason I go to the Dollar Store is for things that cost so much more at Walgreens like trash bags, eye drops, hair color and dish washing liquid. Paying only a dollar for these items saves me lots of money. What's crazy is sometimes I do see name brand products like Colgate or Murine. So, it really makes me wonder how much of a mark-up is put on name brand products in general.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local dollar store has fake samurai swords and fake ninja sets. My daughter is an anime fan and she actually has kept all her fake plastic martial arts weapons from the dollar store and Walmart's Halloween section. Those are the only cheap toys I've bought. I hate dollar store dolls because they're brittle and cheap looking.

6. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I have bought my baby books from the dollar store. I've got books with Sesame Street characters, Disney princesses, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Bible stories. For the most part they have all been great quality for toddler books. My baby lady has loved them quite a bit too. She generally likes any book though regardless of what's in it. I haven't really bought any toy toys from them though but have seen a few that look okay. Maybe not the finest quality but for a dollar not a terrible deal.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would if I found something that was a good enough brand and in good enough shape, but unfortunately, the dollar stores in our area don't have that many good quality toys. Also, i don't think I'd purchase them as gifts. If ever I bought any from there then it would probably be for myself because I prefer to buy my nephews and nieces something brand new even if the items turn out to be of lower grade than what I would chance upon in a dollar store.

8. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    Trying to avoid. Even my daughter who is very accurate breaks these toys very quickly. The toys from dollar stores are mostly visually of a bad quality and who knows what dangerous materials hey are made of.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually bought some plastic balls from our dollar store. They are soft balls that a kid can play with in the bath tub or even in the beach. They've held up quite well and are still in perfect condition up to now.

I've seen some other toys like toy cars and some puzzles in our dollar store. I'm not so sure about the toy cars since they look super low quality and might break easily. The puzzles are too small for my son and is a choking hazard.

So I guess it depends. You can choose which toys look quite sturdy and which toys aren't. It's up to your judgement.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought toys from the Dollar Store and I find that most plastic toys are poorly made. If you buy these toys at the Dollar Store be prepared they will break within a few times of playing with them. At least that's what I've found whenever I've gotten stuff for my son. I've noticed stuffed animals, cards puzzles, kids books are great to buy at the Dollar store. It's a matter of you get what you pay for. It's not real Lego rather an imitation version. I would rather spend more money on a toy that lasts. I even tell my kids that the toys aren't built to last and they'll realize that getting a cheap toy and it breaking isn't worth it.

11. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    A toy is a a toy, whether it is cheap or expensive, it does not really matter. The life span of a toy is 5 minutes, it excites the senses and it is soon forgotten or broken, in my opinion the price is irrelevant unless of course you want to tell the neighbors how much it cost you!!

12. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on which toy we're talking about. I probably wouldn't buy one of those Barbie knock offs, but the accessories for the doll are another matter. Barbie clothes and shoes are pricier at other places and while the dollar store clothing is not actual Barbie brand, it's cheaper and serves the same purpose. Rubber ducklings and other such bath toys are a good deal in my opinion. They're actually quite durable and safe. Also, things like those inflatable plastic balls, puzzles, and even some plastic farm animals aren't bad.

13. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I buy stuff there for my kids, especially coloring books, crayons, little dolls, stuffed animals, plastic water guns and bow and arrows.
    The quality is not the best is not the best, unfortunately, but it is cheap and I rather spend less money than too much for toys that will not last anyhow.
    My kids break their toys so fast no matter how much I spend on them .

14. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores have cheap items but I didn't buy any baby toys from such stores. I'm avoiding anything made in China because those might contain toxic substances like what they'd put into their baby formula. China made items always manages to make their way into some store because they're cheap. I'd rather expensive ones from the department stores because at least I know they can guarantee the safety of the infants.

15. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I do not visit the dollar store too often, but when I do go there it is usually specifically for toys. I work with children and it is kind of weird because nobody wants to buy anything for the place because everything gets ruined or lost - no surprise there - but at the same time we need them because we have to have things to do. This is where the dollar store is key, and we usually each make a trip and take turns and pick up some cheap toys for the place.

16. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Heck yes we buy toys from the dollar store. I have three toddlers, and they are destructive at times! Why spend so much on something that will be trash in a week? Buy it cheap! Plus, our local dollar store has a huge selection on kids stuff and toys!