Do you buy used clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by scottguy • Jun 4, 2014.

1. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    For many things you can find great discounts and benefits shopping used (my favorite example is with CDs and DVDs where you can often get them for a significant price cut despite being in great condition!)-- but one thing that some people are often weird about is clothes. I personally love to buy clothes used because I can get them for so cheap and I can often find interesting things that I wouldn't find if I was shopping new. However, I totally get how some people could feel weird about buying clothes used or secondhand. What do you guys think?

2. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I think buying used clothes is totally fine if the condition is good. My favorite used clothes stores is at Platos Closet. They have designer clothes for great prices. You can also find good items for sale on Ebay.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm all for used clothing. I go and shop at any and all thrift stores, consignments, yard sales and anywhere else I can get my hand on a deal. I'm not ashamed and neither are my kids. We have and wear all name brand clothes.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I don't see any issue with buying used clothing, as long as it's not tattered or destroyed or anything. It's basically the same thing as using hand me downs that you get within your family, but you get some sort of choice in the matter with what you wear. It's a good way to save money and you can find some really cool things that might fit your style. I just make sure to wash anything used that I get thoroughly and then I'm totally fine with wearing the clothes.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've bought second hand clothes for a long time, you get to know that when a store that sell second hand clothes gets their stock in, you're likely to find new clothes that might even have the price tags on them. When buying second hand, the trick is to know when the store will re-stock. Swoop in there at that time and you'll get clothes that are either totally new or close to new at bargain prices.

And yeah, I always buy second hand.

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind, but since I got infected with a skin problem because of borrowing someone else shirt when I was younger, I never dared to wear one that has already been worn by somebody else.

I don't think they are all bad but I'm just being cautious because I never wanted to have the same problem again.

7. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have no problems at all in buying second hand clothes considering they would be in a good condition and the price would be better, but the problem for me is that where I live there's not a huge market for used clothes, on the contrary, there is no market at all, so I really don't even know where to look. The fact that someone used them before would make no difference to me.

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't enjoy buying used clothing. I mean, I wouldn't mind if my family gave me their own clothing because I know who they are and what they're life styles are like. But with many used things, if I were to buy clothing I would always wonder what the person had done with this before.This is just my opinion though.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes! Yes! Yes! They are very cheap and there are a lot of real good ones. Weird for me is that I have a good affinity to used clothes. I like to wear more used clothes than new ones. In fact, I am pretty shy to wear in public my new-bought clothes. The same I feel with my other new stuff. Also, I don't need new clothes to wear at home. So usually the clothes that I buy are for me to wear at home. But often, there are really good ones to wear in public.

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I like to buy used clothing at various thrift shops. Not only do I get great buys there, but I think it can be a lot of fun, if not just a wee bit addicting. And I tend to find quite unusual pieces as well. True, there are times when I find something so unusual that I can't really find pieces to match it, and it ends up hanging in my closet for awhile. But that's a chance I'm willing to take.

11. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    No never really bought it,When something like clothing is already used and then again your paying a specific amount on it in terms of buying something that is being used so yeah understanding the fact that by adding some more money we can get things that are decent in terms of its pricing and are unused.

12. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I don't really like the idea of buying used cloths. I don't think anyone does that.

13. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE used clothing. I always find the cutest things at my local thrift stores. I've got really cute skirts for less than $4, tons of nice t-shirts that I layer under cardigans for work, even some new shoes (tags still on!) I don't understand why people feel so weird about wearing used clothing. Wash it in hot water before you wear it, and you're fine. It's such a simple way to save a lot of money, so why not? I'm a sucker for thrift stores. :)

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy used clothes when I see some thrift stores selling them. I just wash it thoroughly after I bought it. I think that you can really save a lot of money by buying old clothes as compared to buying new ones, although now it's been years since I bought used clothing.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have no issues with buying used clothing. In today's world I am about saving money using all alternatives available to me. I find amazing deals at Thrift Stores and Flea Markets. I have no shame in buying second hand clothing because I think of the fact I have clothes to put on my body. I'm very good at mixing certain clothing pieces to give it a more fashionable and modern look. I'm not consume with other people's perceptions of used clothing. As long as you like what you bought is all that matters.

16. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also do this except that I only buy used clothing for myself. I also love buying used leather skirts or pants (sometimes denims too) and turned them into bags. It's my hobby and been doing it since college days. :)

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the clothes I buy are second-hand ones. People usually frown upon used clothes but they'd be surprised to see that you can find almost new ones in second hand shops. So, they look good and they are inexpensive. Why not buy them? Some parts of my wardrobe, like underwear and shoes I buy always new obviously, but the rest - used it is :D

18. JoshTheboss

JoshThebossMember

Threads:
    Eh, I like to save money a lot of ways, but wearing other people's old clothes is not one of them.

I don't like used car, either.

Maybe that makes me a snob, but YOLO!

19. nuka cola

nuka colaBanned

Threads:
    I don't see a problem with buying used clothes if you absolutely have to, but other than that it's better to just buy cheap clothes at least. I mean there are cheap new clothes, why buy used ones?...

20. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Second hand clothes do not bother me. I have bought second hand clothes most of my life. However, there are some things I will not buy used. Those things include: socks, underwear, bras, lingerie, pajamas, and bathing suits. I have not problems with the others. I have bought shoes (disinfect first), skirts, jeans, shorts, shirts, and dresses used. I have been able to replace my wardrobe for less than half of what I would pay at a regular clothes store.

But second hand clothes are not the dirty gross things people thing. Sure some are. But I have found brand new things with tags still on them before. Or things that look brand new with no spots, no tears, or anything.