Do You Buy Used Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sbatz72 • Aug 8, 2015.

1. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking a lot lately of buying used clothes. I am not talking about the traditional thrift stores where you buy used clothes. I am talking about something like Plato's Closet. Do any of you buy clothes out of Plato's Closet or stores like Plato's Closet?

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried buying from Plato's closet or such stores. Branded clothes I guess are okay to buy secondhand. You will save a lot of money but still have the quality of branded clothing. The only catch is since you are buying it online you cannot inspect the clothing carefully. Unlike if you buy it personally, you can check for stains, stitches etc.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have bought used clothes, but usually designer items or vintage ones that you can't buy any longer. These days people do up the prices, so you have to be aware of how much something is really worth and check the condition of the item. I tend to only buy coats or tops though, things that are easy to try on and that I know will fit.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't buy used clothes because I can afford brand new clothes. Don't get me wrong, I am not rich. It's just that new clothes here are cheap. In the market, shorts are sold for 35 pesos, that's just $1 in your money. And nice shorts that I give to my nieces and nephews when we go on a picnic or swimming.

5. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I don't very much. It doesn't cost too much to buy clothes brand new in the UK, unless you decide that you want to only buy branded clothing (designer). I just like to buy reasonably priced clothing, and then use it for as long as possible, rather than spending a lot on a few clothes, or buying cheap clothing and wearing them for barely any time.

However, if you want to save money, charity shops and thrift shops can be a great way to save on clothing. They're generally a lot cheaper, and you can find things which would normally be expensive.

6. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Every once in a while I do. There are a lot of thrift stores where I live and for the most part they're filled wit junk, but there is one that has nice clothes (it's technically a consignment store) and I've found some really cute thigw there. My boyfriend is a construction worker so we buy most of his work shirts at thrift stores because he gets paint and other materials all over them so they do ever last very long.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes all the time. I'm lucky enough to live close to a great selection of charity shops so often pick up items. I've no qualms about buying second hand at all. Yes, you do have to sift through a lot of junk but it's often worth it.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when my mother had to buy used clothes for us, and we were "ashamed" doing this, hence wanting to hide from the prying eye of an inconveniently passing-by neighbor.

Later buying used clothes was trendy, and being myself an adult then, making the decision to buy them freely and without needing to hide the fact.

As time went by, I started sewing my own new clothes or buying cheap at the outlets outside fashion factories instead.

Even though I don't actually buy nor sew clothing, but clothes come from people who kindly donate to me, knowing I try to keep a frugal lifestyle that accepts all kind of donations; clothes, furniture, household appliances, etc,, as long as they are in good and working conditions.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    As far as I know there aren’t really places like Plato’s Closet out here. But I would certainly consider shopping there, or somewhere similar. I have shopped at thrift shops before and while it’s never been a regular habit of mine, I’m thinking of making a trip out to visit a few, just to see what I might find.

10. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I really think the best way to buy clothes is to start at the bottom, so to speak and shop at thrift stores first. If you don't find what you need/like then try regular stores. I have TONS of clothes from thrift stores. I find they are very good for sweaters and tops, not so much for pants. Typically, the clothes are so cheap it's tempting to spend an entire day in the store getting everything I want! But I show more discipline than that and try to control myself. :)

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Plato's closet before, and I have to say that it's a good store. I like it because you are able to find name brand clothing. Another perk about it is that all the clothing is in good condition. You can also sell your clothing too, which is what I do sometimes so that I am able to get more. It does stink because sometimes they won't take the clothing that you are selling.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do buy used clothes, and I think that they're a good way to save money. If you buy them online, always check whether the seller accepts returns, so that if ever the item doesn't fit then you can return it.

#12Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. NanaTracyAnnHintz

NanaTracyAnnHintzNew Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Plato's Closet. My Daughter-In-Law and her family shop there and get some excellent clothing items and some really great prices. I prefer St. Vincent de Paul, and Goodwill. Although Goodwill has really been getting expensive lately.

14. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    We have a plato's closet here and I think the prices are pretty expensive. I have purchased a few things from them before, but overall I think the prices are high. Sometimes you can get brand new clothes in the clearance area for the same price they have them for sale at Plato's Closet for. Sometimes I have noticed that Plato's closet clothes are pretty worn thin already too. I have bought used clothes from people on buy and sell sites online and have a lot of luck with that. It seems like clothes are very expensive brand new, but pretty affordable when they are used.

15. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I have no issue with buying used clothes. I do like to shop at different consignment shops as well as traditional thrift shops because I like to find more unique pieces. I do like to shop cheaper if I can but sometimes consignment shops can be a little pricey - even if the items are used so that's a little weird.

16. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Good quality used clothes are a godsend. As a broke student who can't afford high-quality, new products, thrift shops and online secondhand stores such as Thredup provide me with great looks for such affordable prices. As long as they don't have any glaring imperfections like rips or stains, I'm not opposed to buying a used product.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure have. I happen to like thrift stores, too, but if those bother you, then Plato's Closet is a good compromise.

They have strict rules of the types of clothing they accept, so the majority of their clothes will be in excellent condition and will be modern trends. It does come with a slightly higher cost, though.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Every couple of months I'll walk through Value Village, which is a thrift store where I live. I look for good quality brand name children's clothes. They take donations of clothes and household items and resell them. Part of the sales goes to the Diabetes Foundation, so you are helping out a good cause. I always donate and sometimes go in a buy things. You can get great deals on brand name clothes. Since people know the money is going to a good cause they donate brand name clothes that are in good condition. I have found a lot of nice children's clothes that are practically new. About 4 times a year they do a 50% off sale so if you are willing to fight crowds you can get second hand clothes super cheap.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I buy used clothes, I limit myself to outer wear. Some outer garments like ponchos, boleros, cardigans and jackets (denim, varsity, etc.) do not easily fall prey to the wear and tear of time and can still look appealing after a bit of wash. Used inner garments and dresses usually end up looking so drab. Even if you wash them thoroughly, it's hard to restore them to their former glory. Used underwear and pants are a no-no for me. Buying used denim skirts does make for a good bargain.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:We have a Plato's Closet right at the corner of Piikoi & Beretania Streets. I went window shopping one day and they don't have my sizes. It's okay. I thinks you should go in and window shop to see how you feel about their clothes and accessories. No one knows if it's second hand clothes unless you tell them that it's second had.

2013-01-17_13-47-21_535.
    (Image from

).