Do you buy your computers online or in store?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    A lot of my friends order their computers off of the internet via sites where you can customize all of the specs and have it shipped to you, rather than going to a store and not having as much flexibility.

Personally, I prefer to buy all of the parts myself and build my own computers. They're usually much less expensive that way, and I have total control over everything in the computer -- I don't put anything that I don't want in! ;)

So what do you guys prefer? Buying computers in store? Online? Do any of you build your own like me?

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I usually buy online as you can find a better deal without a sales man breathing down your neck, eager to sell. I never have built my own computer, as I much prefer having a warranty / company to go back to if it breaks down. Since my laptop does some pretty legally sensitive work from time to time, I just need that behind me. My newest purchase was a Lenovo Thinkpad, which I am loving so far!

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I prefer buying the parts myself too or just buying a pre built one (if I don't want to go through the whole mess of making a computer yourself). Buying online isn't really an option considering how expensive it is to ship every part in different parcels.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I buy mine in the store. I go for the good quality for the price. I have found better brands (well known such as Sony) are overpriced and often they do not offer as much as some of the others. I personally love Acer and they give you more memory and faster processor for less then the name brands. I don't really get into the building computer thing. I also do not buy the extended warranty on electronics either. So if I pay $450 for a nice computer like I did last time I bought one, then perfect.

5. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I tend to buy my computer parts separately online at newegg.com. Then I'll put the computer together myself. Its not really that hard and you can probably save a lot from buying the parts individually. Sometimes you'll get a combination deal. Like if you buy a motherboard you'll save 50$ off select desktop towers :)

6. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    That's exactly what I do! :D It seems like everyone has a pretty different idea of where to get computers.

I'm just curious, what (as far as performance goes) do you look for in a new computer?

7. encryptedbytes

encryptedbytesMember

Threads:
    I typically build my own machine from parts purchased online too, but my most recent machines was purchased pre-built from

. They have configurators for both Intel and AMD based systems and offer a lot of options including much of the latest and greatest components.

8. Germs

GermsMember

Threads:
    I buy my parts and then build the computer myself, i usually buy from the scan website, they are my favourite seller in the UK.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ThinkPads are the only laptops I buy. I just love them.

It really depends on what I'm buying. If I'm buying a laptop, I buy online. I signed up to receive Lenovo's deals. I get notification of their great bargains. I haven't purchased a desktop in quite awhile. I may buy one from an local computer store. Now, that I'm thinking about it, I would probably buy it online from CompUSA, Tigerdirect, etc.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer to purchase computers in person. I don't want to have to worry about my computer getting damaged in the mail because a careless UPS worker threw it into the truck. I like to be able to take home my new computer the same day I buy it to ensure it works properly so that I can return it if need be.

11. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I usually search for combinations. A store that has also a website from which you can buy, and that is near to me. So I buy the components online with the option to pay and pick them up at the shop. This way I can turn them away if they are not what I asked for.

12. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I buy mine online but only after using the same computer either in a store or at a friends. The only reason I buy them online is the price - I've found them to be much cheaper there.

13. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I buy my computers online from the manufactors. Toshiba is the big one in our house. My husband won't buy any other kind. I have bought computers in the store before, but have had really bad luck. I had two seperate occassions where I bought a computer, brought it home, and it would not even turn on. I stopped buying them in the store after that.

I know people who will buy their computers through Ebay. That is something I am not comfortable with. You never know what these people have on their computers. I had a friend who bought one because it said it was new. When it came in you could tell that the seller took a used computer and put it in a new box. I just don't trust these online auction sites when it comes to my electronics.

14. DrakenV

DrakenVMember

Threads:
    I definitely prefer to purchase computers in person. I prefer to buy separate parts online, though.

15. James Dean

James DeanNew Member

Threads:
    I never purchased any computer parts in online. I just don't trust it when it comes to online shopping. I would like to pick it in the store and let one of the technicians assemble it while I watch. Of course, it is an extra charge but better safer than never. I feel comfortable if it boots up and play as how it was assembled.

16. R. Paradon

R. ParadonNew Member

Threads:
    My last two computers were bought on line and they were built to my specifications. Now it is about six years later and I am starting to think about getting a new one. This time I will buy from a retail store as it is more convenient to me and the place where I go for parts and occasional repair is absolutely great. When I have a problem that I can not figure out they fix it in no more than two days and the price is great!

#16Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  17. imda1234

imda1234New Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I buy used parts and build a good PC from those used parts.Some parts in my PC are new ,but I buy parts one by one mostly and upgrade my PC like that :)

18. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    I've never tried buying computers online. I bought my laptop personally in a store. Then, I'm planning to buy PC parts because it is better if I assemble them myself. :)

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've bought three computers - two were built to my specifications by a local guy, and the latest laptop was bought online. It was also built to my specifications, and I've been using it for 5 years now with hardly any problems. When I need to replace it, I'll look at the deals online and instore and pick the one that suits me for price and performance. I don't think either option has a real advantage - you can get good prices and good choice online or instore.

20. Ella Bella

Ella BellaNew Member

Threads:
    If I knew how to build my own computer, I would buy all the parts myself. However, since Lenovo was offering a bright pink laptop at a special price of course I went for it! It was only available online but I read reviews from others who have purchased the same model and by then I was sold. :)