Do you buy your computers online or in store?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I had a cousin who used to buy old parts from computer repair stores at ridiculous discounts and build them himself. Incidentally, he did the same thing with bicycles and furniture. He was a very handy guy. He's moved away now, and nobody else in the house can be bothered to learn how to put together a computer.

2. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    It really depends on who is with me when I get a computer. If I'm going by myself or with someone that's not tech savy--then I prefer the store since I can have a sales associate explain features to me. If they seem to "sales-like", I'll just ask someone else in the department to help me. I bought a Dell online, but only because my computer programmer friend helped me choose the features and made most of the decisions for me. I got an HP mini from the store, but I chose the HP based off reviews I found online. My desktop was built by a local guy, so I was a little nervous about buying it, but I figured for $250--even if I got a year of use from it, it would be worth the price. So, I've bought computer online, from a store and off Craigslist. :)

3. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer making large purchases, especially one of this importance, at the store.

Computers are important investments. They are used a lot these days. I wouldn't want to risk making a purchase over the internet, at least not on a purchase like a computer. There are specific things where purchasing on the computer is fine, minor secondary products.

I like going through a test run with the computer. If I am purchasing a computer, I want to type on it and simply scroll around. A lot of times, the computer may have great features and specifications, but it just doesn't feel right.

Plus, you can go around and compare as well!

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I build my own computers. That's because I used to run a computer repair shop so I know exactly what parts I needed. I also have a few good suppliers who can get me reliable parts at good prices.

5. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Hi, i also prefer to buy parts of a computer online because I choose the best ones and I can save some money, but I think for a beginner who uses the first few times a computer is better to buy this in the shop because it has such assistance.

6. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I buy online because it's cheaper. And the warranty is D2D anyway.
    I don't need help or I have my own helpers so I don't need a shop assistant to help me choose, especially that I don't believe them. They know what's best for them to sell and they try (usually, they are usually forced to do so) to sell exactly this product not the one we'd like to buy actually. Or maybe it depends on the store...
    Anyway, online, definitely.

7. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I bought mine online, because you can customize it to be the way you want it. I like all the specs on mine that I wouldn't necessarily have been able to get if I had bought it in the store.

8. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I usually use one of those websites where you can customize what parts you want in your computer. It's pretty much building your own rig with a warranty and you'll know all the wiring is done right :D.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I rather get a pre-built one from a store. That way I'll have a one-year-warranty in case it breaks down. Shopping online isn't really an option for me considering how tough customs can get. In the end, I'd have to pay a lot more than I would if I bought it here.

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I'd always prefer going to the store personally. I want to see it running before my eyes before buying anything. There's a sort of mini "town" in our country that's full of nothing but computer parts shops, so that's where I buy stuff.

11. oleeviascott

oleeviascottNew Member

Threads:
    Online shopping is the best way for shopping. You can get many site online for shopping or get good information about all the items and get verity in the items with it real price. online shopping give good service and also home delivery. So i like buy computer through online.

12. Markeeze2

Markeeze2New Member

Threads:
    I usually buy online at places like amazon so I can apply gift cards to the purchase and get great deals. The only one I built was my server which is in need of upgrading lol

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm usually wary about building anything and building a computer seems to be a rather complicated challenge for me even if everyone says it's not that hard. I'd like to build my own computer someday though and customize it to my own specs. But for now, I'll stick with buying in person.

14. car1323

car1323New Member

Threads:
    Personally, I purchase my laptops online as I can spec it the way I want to and normally I can get some kind of special discount. Besides, I don't enjoy that kind of flexibility if I buy it directly from the shop in person.

15. lorindaleigh

lorindaleighNew Member

Threads:
    I always buy my computers online at QVC. I purchased a computer once at a mall and it was a horrible experience. It took 3 weeks for me to get my computer! With QVC I can make a small payment and have my computer within 48 hours.

16. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I usually make sure to check out the computer in-store before I buy, but the purchase is usually online.

17. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the computer I am getting. If I do not need the computer for a long period of time then I will go to the stores cheap brands. However, if I am using the computer for a long period of time then I will get the high quality machines from the Internet which can be custom built.

18. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I like to build my computers as well since I can choose faster components and still save money. I buy the parts separately and assemble the computer myself. It's not that hard, there are plenty of helpful videos available on Youtube. You just need to make sure that you buy genuine parts from a reputed store or else your computer may need repairs or replacement of parts. I shop for components online as it works out better for me but you can also get good deals in stores.

19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I purchased this laptop four years ago, I purchased it on the Dell website. I much prefer it because I don't have to deal with a sales clerk, I add or delete functions on the laptop and it's much cheaper than buying a computer in the stores. In the future, when I buy another laptop in five years, I shall definitely purchase it online again. This computer is fantastic and hopefully lasts me for an entire decade.

20. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    I buy parts in a store and build it myself. I find that it can be cheaper that way. Plus I can customize my pc if I do this. I never had the chance to buy online, and I'm a bit wary of doing it. I still like seeing the physical item first before buying it.