Do you buy your computers online or in store?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Well I suppose I am not really that computer savvy to purchase a computer built to my specifications. I would buy a computer at the local computer store. I would look for the processing speed would be very important to me. I really would not need huge storage but if it came with it that would be fine. I also prefer a desktop to a laptop.

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Always buy online. People in computer stores always try and make computers sound overly fancy, mentioning the clock speed, or other meaningless stats to make it look that a not so good machine is actually worth more than it is. I also find there are some good deals to be had online as well, using discount codes, and being able to modify the order and remove things you do not need.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to see the computer in person before buying it, though I have no problem ordering it online once I decide what I want. You can't get a good feel for the build quality by just looking at pics online. The pics may look great then you get it home and see that it's made with cheap plastic, is flimsy, has a surface on it that will get worn out or scratched easily, etc. I got burned ordering a few Dell's that way, and they don't make it easy to return them.

4. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Online.

The easy-to-choose additional tech and gear makes it the ideal option if you want to know all your optional hardware and etcetera. Although you can't beat good old fashioned customer service, being able to see everything you need to see online is such a big boon! I doubt the customer service rep, despite how good they are, would be able to supply you with all the information and data you need on each different hardware and software that could come with your laptop or computer. Just my own opinion though!

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I purchased my desktop and laptop in store. I don't mind purchasing electronics online, because some online stores may have better deals. I saved a ton of money instore when I purchased my desktop and laptop. Also, I have never purchased any parts online or instore because I don't know how to build a computer.

6. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy my computers at the store. I've wondered about buying them online, but never had. I'm not sure I will either. This really is only because I get too excited to try it out and I don't want to wait for it to ship.

7. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    Yes, I actually do the same because I get to choose the best parts for my computer and make a perfect pc (depending on how much money I got)
    Besides that, I really like building my own PCs from "scratch"

8. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    I think buying the parts and building yourself is a great way to save money. You do have to know what you are doing though and many people are not well versed on building computers. My mom used to do this when I was growing up. We always had mom made PCs and they worked a lot better than other PCs. These days I use a Mac, which in my opinion is worth the extra money for the stability it offers over a PC. I buy them online because I can customize it to exactly the specs I want. I don't have to spend extra on extras that I don't need and I can add extras where I want them. It makes my money spending more wise. Overall, Macs are more expensive than PCs but they last much longer. My current Mac is 3 years old and runs flawlessly and I have never had an issue with it. The one I had before that I had for 6 years and was still working great when I sold it. They also maintain their value better than PCs. I could sell my current Mac for about $400!

9. Nethervor

NethervorNew Member

Threads:
    I'd never buy a thing like a computer online. It's not something I buy every day. I want to see it first, make sure everything is in order and then pay for it. I really don't like dealing with faulty electronic products in general. Someone mentioned that people in computer stores might be a bit annoying. I agree with that. However, while I'm not buying computer online, I do extensive research before buying a computer online. After deciding what I want, and where I want to get it from, I just go do the computer store and get the product I've chosen.

By doing the research at home, I already know what I want and just inform the person in the store what am I going to get. He might try to offer me something else, but I'd just ignore him.

10. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got mines off the internet i wish i knew how to build my own it'd be so much easier but i don't so i stick to online cause i usually can get exactly what i want for a lot cheaper too.

11. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    I feel a lot better buying my computer from a store where I can shop around, get some input from employees, and try it out. I personally buy from Best Buy and have had great experiences there. I've even bought a computer that I had to keep taking back for repairs and Best Buy agreed to exercise the lemon law and give me a brand new computer of the same value. It's a lot easier to take a computer back or take it in for repairs when you buy it from a store and not online. Now a few months ago my hard drive did crash and I found it was actually easier to go out and purchase a hard drive and repair it myself than take it to Best Buy and pay a fortune for them to fix it. So I'm probably leaning towards self repair and eventually building my own more than an actual store.

12. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Back in the States I would order from either Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com. Now that I live in Europe my preference is Ebay and buying from stores in the major cities. Overall, I think Newegg has the best deals.

13. Maria

MariaNew Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to buy my own computer from a store not online. That would be more reliable I think!

14. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    For my very first PC, I did as your friends do - i.e., customize and buy online. The variety and ease of navigation online is incomparable. It lets you compare prices and you know exactly what your extras add up to in cost. This is just not possible in-store, unless you ask innumerable questions to the salesperson.

Subsequently, I built my own PCs from scratch and quite enjoyed doing this, as it offered flexibility and helped me cut costs considerably. Also, it was a learning experience. It is only with my laptops now that I have gone back to buying online again.

15. q3210497

q3210497New Member

Threads:
    Provide convenient, simple and cheap.

Personally, I like to organize computer.All components under one roof assembly.

16. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    First off I agree with the OP that if one chooses to build their own computer is will be alot cheaper than purchasing one from the store or online. I wouldn't recommend doing this though, unless:
    A. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, you know what you are doing
    B. You have access to another computer to Google why it won't turn on
    Anyways back to the original question posed. I personally am going to order the next computer I purchase online because it makes me feel more confident about spending the money when I can basically optimize the item I purchase.

17. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    It must depend to what and who is the seller. I'm use to buying in ebay. I once bought an eeepc there but this is if the seller is just right within our country, if not I'd not consider it. i'd probably just visit a nearby best buy. :D

18. Drainbamaged

DrainbamagedNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer making large purchases, especially one of this importance, at the store.

Computers are important investments. They are used a lot these days. I wouldn't want to risk making a purchase over the internet, at least not on a purchase like a computer. There are specific things where purchasing on the computer is fine, minor secondary products.

19. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    I too build my own computers as I find I can build a PC with the same specs as a prebuilt for far cheaper this way.

To answer your question, I usually go with whatever is cheapest. If a local store has a promotion or clearance sale or something of the sort where I can get something for cheaper than if I were to buy it online, I'd go with the local store.

I kind of prefer local stores though, since there's no shipping involved.

20. Cyrup

CyrupMember

Threads:
    Online. You don't have people convincing you to buy something you don't need, or a Hard Drive that just isn't worth it or out of your budget.

I will usually buy & customize online, and if it's a local store, check it out to see if it's worth it.

Edit: It's also a lot easier.... Not having to carry 20KG around.