Do you buy your computers online or in store?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I build mine, so I get the parts where they are cheapest. Sometimes online, sometimes in store.. :)

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I've always bought my computer online and/or called the customer service number to customize my own PC. I've only had a problem with the quality of the PC one time. Other than that my experience has always been a good one. I'm happy with the service and quaility overall. Online ordering is much easier and I can still wear my PJs.

3. altec02

altec02New Member

Threads:
    i love to shop online specially when i am buying computers. I always buy computers here

4. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I shop online for almost everything, which includes computers. I don't like trying to find a parking spot and dealing with crowds and rude, unhelpful sales people - or the overly pushy ones intent on commissions.

I'm in the market for a new laptop soon, and am busy perusing different sites to see where I can get the best deal.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could build my own computer as I am very interested in that stuff. My son actually built me a computer in the early nineties. He was so proud, and it did last quite a while. I have since gone over to apple products, as I like the simplicity with beauty. I read somewhere that Steve Jobs modeled his products on the same model used by the Gap stores: simplicity with style. What I don't miss from my pc are the burdensome updates, viruses and crashes I was constantly battling. Since I have done a lot of research on apple products, I find buying them online gives me the best bang for the buck and saves the hassel of driving, sometimes to find the item out stock. So, if I could, I would build a Mac.

6. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I usually order from online you can definitely find better deals on the internet that in the store. I want another one, thinking about looking in stores though.

7. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    Best case scenario, I try to find the best prices online and get them price matched in store. I recently helped a friend of mine through the process and was able to get parts price matched at Best Buy. If I'm unable to find a better price in store or they have run out of the item/don't carry it, I will buy the part online. Overall, building a PC will allow for you to get more power for a lesser price.

8. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I've started buying them online. You can get them anywhere from 25-50% off retail. I used NewEgg to get this powerful Asus laptop for $600 with a dedicated Nvidia 1GB card.

9. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I prefer to buy it online opposed to the store since the internet has a much larger variety to choose from and also there are promo codes.

10. AndroidGirl89

AndroidGirl89New Member

Threads:
    We ordered our last new computer from Amazon because it was a lot cheaper than ordering it from Apple. Free shipping and the price was lower!

We are in the market for a new laptop and will be finding an affordable laptop that Mac OS X can be installed on rather than buying an Apple laptop. Apple products are just so overpriced!

11. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    Like you, I also tend to buy the parts and assemble it myself. That way I can save money and at the same time build my own with the parts and specs that I want. I don't really like buying online since you don't have the guarantee if the computer they'll be shipping is in a good condition and etc. Also you can probably get a bargain if you buy it yourself in a store. :)

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy my pc at a store, because online shopping isn't that popular yet here in our country as compared to the US. And I still don't know how to assemble a pc on my own yet, so I just go for the branded ones where they come in a set.

13. bellahpereira

bellahpereiraMember

Threads:
    I prefer to purchase computers in store because I feel like I should be able to see the computer and see inside it before I make a final decision. I feel like I'm picky with my entertainment and just like a TV screen, I'd like to be able to see it and experience it. Going to the store is a big help in making decisions - sometimes I go into the store wanting one computer and once I try it, I realize I don't like it and end up buying one that 'feels' better.

14. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not exactly someone who is very adept in the field of computer specifications and performance, so most of my purchases are done in the physical shop with a salesman to guide me along. I know those who are good at computers would say that shops typically try to scam their customers, especially those like myself, into paying more for something the computer isn't but I guess that's just the price I have to pay for not knowing how to build a computer myself or even know what is required to build one! I usually go to shops that I have made purchases at before and look for the same salesman for advice. I just hope that by being loyal to that particular shop, the sales people there would be as frank as possible with an old customer!

15. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I still prefer buying gadgets in brick-and-mortar stores. I also have the habit of asking my brother, who is so knowledgeable in electronics and gadgets, to inspect the parts before I buy a computer.

16. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Bought my first computer in store. My second one online. I think both can work so long as you are buying from a trustworthy buyer with a good reputation.

17. tehtros

tehtrosNew Member

Threads:
    I, like you, prefer to build a computer by myself. I usually end up ordering parts from a site like

that finds the lowest price from a list of sites, and even will check is parts are compatible for you. It's a really handy site, and I love using it. One of my favorite features has to be the facts that you can permalink to your build to share it with others. the hardest part about the website is getting the money to BUY all the parts themselves. That said, when there is no time or money to build my own computer, I do enjoy, like you said, ordering my computers online so that I can customize what I'm getting. It's not quite the same as building your own, but it helps.

18. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've always bought mine in a store. I like being able to see it, feel it, and compare it visually and texturally. I've never built my own computer. But if i decided to buy one customized to my preferences, i'd probably look for a computer i liked in a store and then go on-line to buy it. I may do that for my next computer. This one I have, I bought it last year. And it came with some stuff I don't need, and it doesn't have enough of what I do need.

19. Antonio123

Antonio123New Member

Threads:
    HI ! dear friend i want to say you that i have to buy my computer from shop not from online . and i prefer shop not online all time .

20. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know enough about computers to build my own or customize them online, plus I'm always scared I'll order the wrong thing, so I go in person. Having someone there to ask questions to if need be is nice, as is the store's warranty. To be honest, I can also be extremely impatient, so getting my computer that very day is a grand feeling!