Do you celebrate Christmas on Dec. 27?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by andrew320 • Nov 15, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Since I was a child, I always joked around by saying we should have Christmas on Dec. 27 in order to save money on gifts. Most items are priced a lot higher during the holiday season than they would be on Dec. 27. This is why I ask: is there anyone that celebrates two days after Xmas. My loved ones think I'm a Scrooge for making the suggestion, but we always have it on Dec. 24, Christmas Eve.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No i have a big family so i do Christmas eve at home with my husband and kids mom and sisters than on christmas day we go to my uncles house and do it there.

3. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    That's an excellent point. Half my family gets together on New Year's Day. I always wait to but their gifts until after Christmas. I'm usually out returning things anyway. The stores are never that crowded and the deals are good.

4. obadiah

obadiahNew Member

Threads:
    I think it is entirely up to you and the people you are celebrating with which day you celebrate. Many Orthodox Christians celebrate much later than most of us do and that certainly doesn't seem to bother them. Several years ago my cousin and his wife decided they could save a lot of money by shopping on December 26th, wrapping, and then exchanging the gifts that day. They said it was terrible and they would never do it again. And last year my family had to celebrate Christmas on the 26th and if I had my choice I would never do that again either. But, I don't think it is important what day you celebrate as long as everyone agrees. And no, I don't think you are a Scrooge for wanting to do this.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a catholic but my relatives are. They get to invite us and have a party at times. Some times just a barbeque party, we talk something like thanks giving and drink champagne. Everyone in the neighborhood are celebrating so I also join them on the 25th. :D

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, my family and I don't celebrate Christmas on Dec 27th. We don't focus on gift buying just spending time together. I don't have kids so it's easier. There's only one child in the family, she's my niece. No one over spends during the holidays.

7. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on this one! It's a lot better to focus on spending time with family and not worrying about going into debt buying gifts. Everybody stresses so much at Christmas trying to buy everybody gifts and such and then struggle the next few months because of it.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    As a teenager, I always used to joke and say that I would do that in the future to save money but I doubt I will. The date of the 25th is so ingrained in me that I doubt I will move away from it merely to save a few dollars. It is the time of the year when I do not like to think too much about the money spent anyway. SO, I doubt that I will ever act on my 'later Christmas date scenario'.

It is a friend's birthday the 27th, and we do score him the best gifts at the best prices though.

9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Celebrating on the 27th is a good idea, that way you can get over on buying all your gifts at half price or even less. Then the stores will be saying what happen that we didn't make a good profit of this years holiday season. That way they will stop jacking up the prices just because it's the holiday.

10. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    That's cool! I've actually never known anyone who celebrates Christmas in a different day other than the 24th at night (I mean people whose religions celebrate Christmas). I don't think I'd ever do it though, since I usually do my Christmas shopping way before November. There aren't any price hikes then.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, we don't celebrate Christmas on Dec. 27. In fact, this is the 1st time that I've heard of such a suggestion. We always celebrate Christmas on the eve of the 25th, and we aren't heavy spenders anyway, so it really doesn't matter financially if we spend Christmas later than the 25th, lol.

12. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I personally think this is a fantastic idea. The only problem is that EVERYONE in the family needs to agree with the idea. Otherwise someone is just going to be disappointed. But the way I see it is Christmas is all about the spirit of the holiday, so the 25th shouldn't be ignored. It should be a special day with family.