Do you check item in front of the courier person?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by jeanwatson • Nov 1, 2013.

1. jeanwatson

jeanwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    It is mentioned by every seller on eBay.in that the buyer should open and check the item in front of the courier person, or the seller may not entertain any complaint regarding that item. So my question to you is, do you at all open and check the item in front of the courier person? Or do you, like me, take a chance and open it after the courier person has left your door steps?

Thank you!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the seller demands that you open the item in front of the courier then if you're buying from that seller for the first time then I suppose to be on the safe side, you'd have to open the item so you can have a witness should you lodge a complaint. Some go as far as filming themselves opening of the package. Why risk losing your cash?

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I know that it is on eBay and heavily suggested but that is such an inconvenience. I do not think I ever once did such a thing. I really do not have the time. I understand the reasoning behind the suggestion but it seems so ludicrous. Perhaps, I would if the item cost me a huge chunk of change but even then I doubt it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I never have, and honestly, I never thought to do so. Then again, I've never bought anything from a seller that recommended that I did, so I suppose it's why I never thought of it. Unboxing is a fun experience, and I'd rather do it privately. :D

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think i ever did, and i also never had any problems with being scammed. You always have to make deals with people that have a high rating and at least some reviews so that you can buy from then, otherwise you are just asking to be robbed of your money.

6. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I'm a seller and I have never suggested anyone do that.

But for me personally, I've never done that. Usually I am not at home when the packages are delivered so it's a non-issue. But I don't see why opening it up in front of the courier makes any more of a difference than filing out a damaged item paperwork. The sooner you file out the paperwork the better. Most of the time I'm not having anything valuable delivered, mainly clothes. But if I do order something expensive and possible breakable, I am not ordering it on eBay in the first place. I'm getting it from the manufacturer or a retail store, and they would have me sign for the package anyways.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I always make sure that I check the product in front of the courier to make sure it is what I ordered not the opposite. It is important to do so in any case of a complaint, you can then file a complaint immediately.

8. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I've never opened the package before actually signing for it although many couriers give you this option. I find that it's a matter of privacy what my package contains and even though it's a safety measure that I should be taking advantage of, I don't feel very comfortable doing it. I wish there was a different way of checking that the package contains what it's supposed to contain without opening it in front of somebody else.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case, the parcels that came from overseas are not delivered straight to our home, they are delivered to the post office first then we have to claim it. But for local purchases, it's delivered straight to our home. In my case, i just open it when I'm already inside my home, I don't open it in front of the courier. If I have any complaint, then I'm not worried because I mostly use Paypal to pay for my online purchases, so I can easily file for a dispute.

#9Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Too bad not all retailers allow you to do it, it`s fair to check it in front of the courier to avoid the unpleasant situation to call that person and wait for days for him to come and get the product meant to be returned. I had a bad experience with a stubborn guy, finally I had to call one of his local boss and tell him about that situation
    So, if you have the chance to choose this option, don`t hesitate!;)

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Seriously?

My delivery men rarely even let me make it to the door before they're back in their truck. They like to toss the package at the door and may or may not even knock. Sometimes they simply walk halfway up the stairs and then slide it toward my door (yes, I've watched them do this....I'm not just making stuff up). The only time I could guarantee they be there is if signature is required and they're not going to want to watch me open it. Heck, what would they even do if my item wasn't correct or something? They're not going to vouch for me anyway. And then I'd have to re-package it to send it back, etc, so they can't wait on that...

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never thought of opening the package in front of the courier. Most of the time when the package is delivered I am not home. I don't think my courier would even wait for me to open the package and as one post above said "the box is fun and private".

13. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of doing it, as the couriers seem to want to drop and run mostly. I guess that is not fair since I never tried this but it may be a good idea to try.

14. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    My courier simply leaves my item on the doorstep so I never really have a chance to check on the item. On the rare occasion I need to sign for something, then I will give it a quick once over to make sure nothing happened to it while it was being shipped, other than that, no I don't do anything.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed, delivery guys in the US just dump the package wherever and speed off. The only time I've ever received a package and the person asked me to check the contents was when I received a Site To Store package at Walmart. Most delivery guys don't hang around long enough to watch you check your package, they just want to get out of there.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The way they just leave packages sometimes just drives me crazy. Some delivery guys will make an attempt to hide the package for you so no one sees it and steals it, but some don't even bother to let you know they are leaving your package! I have been sitting there waiting for something and heard them drive off without even knocking!

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do now and boy does it annoy them, especially when I check it and then refuse to take it because it don't work. Two days ago I waited in for my mum's freezer to be delivered as she couldn't book time off work, when the guy turned up the bottom of it was scuffed and dented and I refused to sign for it as it was meant to be a brand new freezer, after 30 minutes of arguing with me he eventually put it back on the truck and left. Some of them will try and bully you.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Me too. I currently live in an apartment building and have had packages go missing before. It drives me nuts when I'm waiting on a package to arrive, only to step out later in the day and see that it's sitting in front of my door for who knows how long. I wish they would at least knock and then run away if they don't want to talk to people, but to just leave it is annoying. My desk is less than 6 feet from the front door....it's RIGHT THERE....so it's frustrating to not make any sound at all.

19. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I've only ever done this once and that's when I've found the packaging a little bit bashed in (turned out all was fine).

Generally speaking, I don't look until I'm in with the package and the courier is long gone. Never been stung by doing this yet but perhaps it's wiser to check just in case.

If I'm not in then a neighbour would usually be around to safely keep it until I'm back.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never done that before. The carrier is just delivering the order, they don't put it together and it's not like they can fix it if the order is wrong. You will have to get in touch with a company anyway... It's not the carriers job to check if the order is right.