Do you check the care label?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Apr 25, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that reading the care label can save you a lot of money in the long run. If you accidentally bought clothing that can only be dry cleaned then that means you'd have to spend quite a bit taking the clothes to a professional dry cleaner.

Do you even need such clothes in the first place?

Question is, do you read the care label so that you can buy clothes that won't cost much in 'caring' for them?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes and no. It's usually pretty easy to tell by a material if you're going to be able to wash it at home, so those that are too high maintenance for me to deal with just don't get purchased.

That being said, I do frequently buy clothes at yard sales for super cheap, so if I like a shirt or something anyway, I'll get it. And I'll wash it at home. If it falls apart the first time, then no real loss, but 9 times out of 10, it's actually been fine right through the washer anyway! I'm just more careful with drying.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, I don't have a habit of doing it. I usually just throw everything in the washing machine and hope for the best... now if it's a clothing piece that is extremely delicate I will hand wash, but I never had problems because I didn't read the care label.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. I never read the "care label" of the clothing at all. I buy clothes that can be easily washed using a washing machine or handwash, so I'm sure that it won't be a problem washing it.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I read every label on every product that I buy, that includes clothes. Sometimes a fabric can feel quite natural, but when I read the label I often find out that it has a high content of synthetic fibres in it, which would make it difficult for me to wear as I have reactions to anything unnatural. So, yes, just like checking the expiry date and list of ingredients on every food item that I buy, I also check the care label on clothes.

6. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I check the care label.

But only when a buy an expensive piece of clothing. I generally wear cotton, and jean fabric. Taking care of them is pretty straight forward. There isn't any special instructions. That is not the case will more expensive types of fabric. Even cheaper ones like mesh, and polyester.

I always check the care label when i buy those types of fabric.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I used never to check the care label until I discovered that my clothes were not lasting long. So I had to change my habits. These days I always check the label to make sure that am doing it all right to make sure that my clothes lasts long.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually. I have had clothes damages by inappropriate temperatures before. But usually I don't give my clothes a very harsh cycle anyway so it's not an issue. Most of my stuff is just woollen jumpers, cotton shirts and jeans. Suits do to the dry cleaners and that's it really.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS look at the care label. In the past, I have purchased items that require dry cleaning. After running up a big bill, I decided those types of clothing are only worth special events. My every day garments should be ones I CAN throw in a washer/dryer at home.

10. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't look at the care label, unless it's an unusual item of clothing or fabric that I suspect will need special cleaning instructions. I have shrunk quite a few things on accident before, but I'm so short that it's usually for the best anyway. ;)

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's worth it to at least read the label. I usually do, but then decide for myself based on how good the item has been washing, as to whether or not I want to keep following the care instructions. Sometimes it can be a pain, but if you have nice clothes, it's worth the extra trouble to take care of them.

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I do read the care label when it comes to work and dress clothes. However, I judge how an item will be worn before handing it over to an expensive dry cleaner.

For instance, a shell or sleeveless shirt is normally worn underneath a dressy or sheer top. If I can wash with Woolite or use the dryer cleaning kit, I will. This saves a lot of money.

13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't do that before but I realized that it does save you a lot of money when you take good care of your clothes by handling them properly. I had to give away a lot of my good clothes in the past after only 1 use before it has shrunk after I washed them. It shrank not because the fabric was not good, but because I didn't use the appropriate detergent for it.

Also, nowadays, I make sure that I choose only those which do not require very complicated handling. I'm very busy and I simply don't have time to sort out my clothes.