Do You Choose The Cheapest Destinations

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 16, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many people who opt to visit third world countries because they won't spend as much as they would elsewhere. When choosing a place you wish to travel to do you take into account the cost of living, travel deals you'll get in those countries or places, and how much you'll save on hotel bills?

Think it's a good way to save money? Makes you a frugal traveler?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like visiting third world countries not for the purpose of saving money but to get to know a different way of life. When it comes to holiday destinations, I go to places that I feel drawn to, whether that is Colombia or Dubai. It all depends on how much money I have available. If I am really keen to visit a place, I will save and wait until I have sufficient funds to travel to where I feel I need to be at a certain point in time.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always travel depending on our budget. Our usual haunt is Hongkong because that is the cheapest plane ticket. Besides, I have a nephew in Hongkong and we stay in his flat - that saves us the cost of accommodation. Our other favorite country is Singapore because it offers cheap accommodation although cramped in space but still good enough. This year, we have a tip to Hongkong in October and Singapore in November.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say a place being cheap is my main focus. There are more important things to me like my safety and whether I have any interest in that country and its people. No matter how cheap, I wouldn't ever set foot in some countries if you paid me, for instance. I have to be interested in that country first and foremost, and be confident that I'll be safe.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In life you have to pick the options that are within grasp, and within the grasp of your financial standings, and I have never really had all that much money to my name. So I wouldn't say that I deliberately go for the cheapest destinations, as far as holidays go. I'd say that I look for deals and destinations that I know I'm going to be able to afford to visit.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a good idea, I mean these places will have few facilities and getting around will be limited. I think it would be more economical for a a staycation and to treat yourself to a local hotel and spa.

It doesn't really save money as it takes more time to get around and a vacation should be about relaxing. If you have to worry about food, hotel standards and taxis or buses breaking down it's not really relaxing. I have traveled in poor areas and you may save some money, but getting there and out costs more in planning and stress.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I often visit places depending on how cheap they are at the time of booking, however I always make sure that they are at least places that I would like to go to. I will never book somewhere where there is nothing to do, or somewhere that might be dangerous, because I wouldn't want to have an unenjoyable holiday. So yes, you should book somewhere that is cheap, but you have to weigh that up against being able to enjoy yourself when you get there as well.

8. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Not always. Just like they say: You get the price you pay. I don't like that very much, to be honest. If I buy something, I make sure it's at least reasonable, not $30 for an airplane trip, all-inclusive hotel and all meals ensured.

I usually buy just the intermediary travel packages. :)

9. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    Although I like to travel, I like to travel for comfort. I do more traveling to Mexico than going overseas. I know that I'm going to get a good value for the money, and I can also be assured that I am going to be relatively safe. Not knocking what anybody else does, that's just how I roll personally. Why go on a trip if you're not going to enjoy it?

10. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to save money for continuing my travel journey. So i never choose cheapy destinations.

11. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, not really. Not as far as choosing a destination, anyway. As others have said, I want to go somewhere I'm interested in going, not just the cheapest place. I've done the frugal budget travelling thing before, and it turned out kinda boring. That said, once I've settled on a destination, I'm more than happy to look for ways to cut corners spending, whether it's in the hotel where I'm staying, the plane I take to get there, or the places I go once I arrive. Some of the nicest spots I've gone to while on vacation are completely free.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I usually pick my destination first and then worry about price. My husband and I have a few places in the world we want to visit and there some places we'll never go. If there are two comparable holidays available and we can save money by going to one rather than the other we'll do that. For example we could have gone to Cancun or Puerta Vallarta. We love both places so we looked for the cheapest 4 star hotel at both destinations and went with the best deal.