Do You Collect Used Clothes From Friends For Your Kids

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Barida • Aug 5, 2017.

1. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I stay in a neighbourhood where a newly married couple lives and the wife, who happens to be a close friend had a baby that is two years old now. So, when one of her female friends, whose kids have grown bigger came visiting and saw that the little kid of her friend got just a few clothes to wear, She offered to bring along used clothes of her children still in a better condition.

My female friend, the nursing mother, did not give a definite answer to the friend's good gestures, and later came to me seeking for an advice if it is good to collect used clothes from friends for her little boy. I told her that it is okay as long as the clothes are still in a better condition. Moreover, it is just like buying secondhand clothes from stores around.

Well, I don't know if my advice was entirely right. what do you think?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When my kids were smaller, I had a friend who would give me lots of clothes that her daughter had out grown. I didn't have to buy very many clothes for my daughter at all. She just gave me a bunch of clothes again and it helps me from having to buy very many clothes for school this year. I do the same if I know someone who has kids that are close in age to mine that may be able use the clothing. I buy clothing at secondhand stores anyway as much as possible because they don't wear them enough to wear them out. This makes buying brand new clothes impractical. I think the advice you gave your friend is good. If her friend is willing to give her the clothing then why not accept it. I am sure her friend won't think less of her for accepting her offer.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this initiative is pretty cool and valid, but I personally prefer to buy everything new. I don't see anything wrong in using something used, I just don't opt for that choice.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you gave the right advice in a very nice way specially because it seems that in your friend's case, it would help the new couple's finances a lot if they didn't have to buy clothes that their baby will outgrow anyway. Pride can sometimes get in the way of accepting used things from friends, but in many cases, people do give away items or clothes to declutter and at the same time, make sure that they go to the right people or someone close to them. Accepting used clothes should not make your friend feel that she's being looked down in any way specially if a close friend is making the offer.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I never asked for clothes but I did have some friends who donated me their kid's clothes, and I must say that these clothes helped me a lot. I appreciated their gesture, besides they gave me a lot of toys as well. They helped me to save a lot of money for a couple of years!

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    No sir, I wouldn't allow clothes from my friends to be used by my kids. There are several reasons why I wouldn't be letting my kids wear such. For example, we all know that skin diseases are transmitted from wearing an already diseased person clothes. Children skins are still very delicate and can easily be infected, so I am not taking any chances at all. If I need clothes for my little ones, I will produce new ones.

Also, some people doesn't have good intentions towards another person. They would be smiling but right inside their individual hearts they are not happy with you. Some would even go to the extent of using witchcraft to ruin someone they are not happy with. So why then would I collect collect clothes from someone I presumably call a friend that I am sure I can't read his or her true heart intentions and let my kids wear them? Sorry it's not going to happen ever.

7. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Not me but my wife does. This is a monthly thing. She collects them and sends them to charity and the needy. But most of the time, she would give them to the church.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    In my country, I have been hearing a "superstitious saying" here where babies will grow up to be healthier if wearing old clothes from others, it's like a blessing from others, hence some people would like to ask for old clothes. Though I don't really believe in this, I think it's good to have old clothes from others too. The clothes are usually comfortable as they have been washed many times, and it's definitely saving lots of money. I am blessed to have received many hands-me-down from my friends, hence I don't really need to buy new clothes for my kids as they have got many clothes from others. Some are even in very good condition.

9. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman Your point is so unique and I totally agree with you. I have heard such cases happening before since I was young. Even relatives getting angry at you because you have more children than them is something common here. So I would also consider this factors before accepting used clothes from a close member of the family.

But looking at the brighter side, I think it saves on costs. The new couple can save their money if they accept the idea of using baby clothes that were initially used by there friend's baby. If you can afford them, then just buy new ones. :)

Also, some friends or neighbors might see it as a chance to dump their grown baby's old clothes. So don't be the victim. ;) If it were me, I'm getting my baby new things only. :p

#9Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  10. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    As much as the risk of skin diseases is real and should be addressed,I think passing along used clothes is a good idea.The only circumstances I would allow my kid to wear something used is in the case of a family member.If a cousin of his has outgrown his clothes and my kid finds the outfit appealing,I don't see anything wrong with that.I guess its just the blood connection talking but This is just how I feel about it.I have heard about these diseases transmitted through clothes and to this day it freaks me out.

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong in collecting used/second hand clothes from friends and family for your kids. But the only thing is, it has to be donated freely without me asking. I would not cross that line to go asking for used clothes for my kids to wear. If a family or friend wishes to donate out of their own free will, then this is fine.

12. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    It's a lot common here at my place, people giving their children's old clothing that are still of value to friends and even relatives. It is describe as an act of kindness here and is commonly being practiced even at this modern times. I am one of those lucky children that have experienced this thing back when I was still a child. We have a relative who happens to be so generous and always gives us gifts and freebies every time their family visits our home. It is one of those very good memories that I will never forget.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Being the recipient of decent-looking used goods is never a bad deal at all. You can use it or sell it, so you gain ether way. I don't know why your friend is hesitating when it's free anyway.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know when one of my Aunt was still living she always liked getting new clothes and we got her older ones witch were almost like new, so I was happy with getting new t-shirts all the time, lol. I missed her for she passed. We are lucky that there are generous people around us, so we save money! Why not get some clothing you need, when someone is kind and generous enough to think of you to give them to. I shop at thrift stores too. I always find very good clothing for very minimal prices. Then there is Walmart with all their in-store bargains and rollbacks it's great to save all that money on what you need!

15. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    No, but it doesnt mean that i look down on the action or the act itself, i just prefer to buy my children new clothes based on my taste.

16. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Not from friends, but from close family members. I don't like my child wearing clothes of the kids that are not blood related to me. However, I don't mind clothes from my sister's kids and brother-in-law kid.In fact, my child is already wearing clothes my nephew and nieces have worn.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Before my baby girl was born I had friends who had their own baby girls before I did so they would gift me the clothing their babies left behind. I really apprecited this generous gesture as it saved me a ton of money as baby clothing can be a bit expensive and my economic situation wasnt' too good either. I actually did the same with a few woman that needed clothes for their own babies so I gifted them my babies baby clothes.