Do you complaint a lot in a restaurant?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by whnuien • May 2, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    The other day my friend and I went out for food together for the first time. She said she was going to treat me so of course I was happy and just went along. But when we get there she started questioning the waitress, complaining about this and that, the floor, the menu, the glass, and anything that dissatisfied her including her drink because she got the wrong order. I started feeling so uncomfortable in the end and I was not very thankful that she treated me then. I really don't think I would go out for food with her again.

How are you like in the restaurant? Are you fussy? Do you get snappy when you get your order wrong and complaint non-stop?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the reasons I got restaurants I'm no stranger in is because I know what to expect. If the customer service is bad, then I won't just carp about it, as a concerned customer I'll inform the management if they don't fix A, B, or C, I always try to be specific, then they'll lose some of their customers.

This doesn't happen often so I rarely complain but that doesn't mean that if I'm dissatisfied with the service I'll just let it go.

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not a complainer, though I will bring something completely unacceptable to their attention, if necessary. People like that disappoint me, it's as if they have nothing better to do...

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much like you said btatro, I usually don't complain unless it's something crazy. Why don't I complain? Because I feel it's a waste of my time and I can also get nervous, my wife too and we have the day ruined over a meal. Sometimes it's simply not worth it even when we are right.

5. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Having worked in restaurants before, I have nothing but the utmost sympathy for the waitstaff, and I understand there's very little that's actually their fault if something actually goes wrong. I also know due to the nature of what goes on in the back, there's just no point in complaining over most issues as the management will likely be too busy to tend to something. That said, I have complained once before. I had gone to a restaurant that had just opened and got a burger, which was partially frozen and the bun was soggy. I tried being reasonable about it, and just explained that they just have to watch the prep a little better. The manager actually commended me for actually being nice about it and gave me a discount.

6. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Something has to be really bad for me to complain. When I first try a restaurant, I never order anything that I've never had before just to play it safe.

I went to a Lonestar that had just opened up in our town, and it was only their first week I believe. I found a staple in my salad. An actual staple. I didn't complain, necessarily, but I did alert the waitress and talked to the manager because that was more of a health concern. Turns out it'd came off the bag they got their salad mixes in. Wasn't really their fault, just happy it wasn't in a kids food or something. Even happier that I noticed instead of swallowing it, hate to know how bad that would have been.

So unless it's something like that, I don't usually say anything or complain about it. Being a server or working in the restaurant industry isn't a piece of cake, so I don't want to make anyone's job any harder.

7. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:

Oh God NO, just watch the Ryan Reynolds movie Waiting, This stuff might actually happen!!

8. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    Not at all, unless the food is not up to par with what I feel like it should be. Most of the time I am very kind to the waiter because I know how difficult of a job it is that gets taken for granted. But if my food is soggy or cold you better believe I will complain and get hot crispy food.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm usually very polite with restaurants' attendants. Both because I don't like to mistreat who is serving me, and also because I've heard horror stories about waiters and attendants spitting on your drink or putting something funky there if they don't like you!! I only ever complain if what I ordered is taking way too long and of course, if I got the wrong order. But unless they are rude to me first or give me some really nasty attitude I always try to be polite and not be rude.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That would drive me nuts if I had to sit at a table with a person who was complaining non-stop like that. It ends up being guilt by association because it makes it look like everyone at the table is a jerk, even if it's just one person doing all the complaining. People like that really shouldn't go out to eat. Some customers are in their own little bubble, and fail to acknowledge that the restaurant itself is very busy, or the server is with another table at the moment and cannot come running over to them in an instant.

I've had kind of the opposite happen, were I've taken some people out to eat at a rather nice restaurant - my treat even - and they complained about the food the whole time. My one friend sent her steak back twice to get cooked more, when she never should have ordered "medium" in the first place because she obviously doesn't know that it means pink in the middle. They sulked and nit picked about everything.

I think in some of the instances, the people I was with were just annoyed by the prices of everything and irritated seeing other tables of people enjoying themselves - since they don't often go out to eat at all themselves, a kind of a jealous thing perhaps. So they would make cracks about everything the whole time as if to say "it's really not *that* great here, I don't see what all the fuss is about". Whereas me personally, I would rather go out to a nice steak dinner from time to time and splurge, instead of wasting money out at a bar or club and paying some stupid cover charge just to get in. I could easily blow $60 at some crappy bar/club, or I could spend it on a nice dinner at some fine dining restaurant. They are the other way around, they will waste 50 bucks or so on cover charges, over priced weak drinks and tipping the bartenders they're trying to *flirt* with or whomever they are hitting on - then turn around and treat me like a "snob" if I suggest we try out some nicer restaurant once in a while.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, because I don't go to them enough. But I do complain if I have ordered a takeaway which isn't to my expectation as I use them a couple of times a week. I don't like salad or sauces on my takeaway and always ask for the items not to have them, because they ignore me so many times I now check before leaving and will insist they change it if they have put it on.

12. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I worked in restaurants, and it was nothing like Waiting. I waited tables for 5 years, and I never saw anyone spit in anyone's food or anything like that. It was more about mumbling and complaining about the customer in the kitchen and then being nice to their face, but there wasn't anything being done to the food.

That said, I really don't complain in restaurants unless my food is seriously overcooked and could be dangerous. Most of the time, I just won't go back if I have 2 bad experiences in a row.

13. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Unless there is something REALLY wrong with my food, I probably won't complain. I did once accidentally get bell peppers on burger when I asked for none, but I just picked them off and ate my meal. (I'm not allergic, just hate them.) I didn't bother complaining, cause it was busy, and a simple mistake. I don't think that I've ever lodged a formal complaint in a food place before actually.

My Dad however...he complains. A LOT. It's usually if he thinks the waiter/waitress is taking to long, he starts doing the "bird neck" thing where he starts craning his neck and looking around while loudly going "I WONDER WHERE THE WAITRESS IS, IT SEEMS LIKE SHE DISAPPEARED, SHE'S TAKING SO LONG, WHERE DID SHE GO?!". I generally try and shush him and make him stop, because he's just so impatient! He also is picky with his food, and won't hesitate to send it back if any part of it is wrong. Ugh.

My Aunt (who married in!!) likes to complain about nothing at restaurants to try and get a discount or something for free. I usually don't eat out with her cause she does it every. single. time we go out to eat. I hate when people fish for discounts, it sucks butt. So it annoys my double when she does it

#13May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I never done that, I may grumble to myself and not leave a tip if I find the service not good but I wouldn't opening complain too loud. These are people who are serving you food lol... I'd be careful about ticking people off.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't complain as much as possible in restaurants, unless the mistake is too great to be overlooked. But if ever I will complain, I have to do it very nicely, so that the service crew won't tamper with my food next time.

16. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    Just like the others, I am not a complainer myself. I usually observe my surroundings, and weigh things and not to put too much expectations on things, specially restaurants. If the restaurant that I'll be going is quite expensive, I'll be expecting more since I am looking for value for money. Otherwise, I would lower my standard and just enjoy the food that I am eating.

I also believe that if you get to complain so much on things, especially if it's restaurants, be prepared, they might do something on your food. Having said that, I try to keep my complaints in moderation to avoid inconvenience.

17. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely complain. I think it all depends on which restaurant that you visit. If they always have some good meals then I do not see a reason why I should complain. I am always happy with the service that I get in the majority of the restaurants that I have visited.

18. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    For me, if I am going to a new restaurant, I have no expectations. I go in with an open mind and take notes on things I do and do not like in my head. I do not complain but I will send my order back if it is the wrong order. I know people make mistakes and I try not to make them feel bad. I understand I am the one spending money but I do not feel the need to make someone feel like they are doing everything wrong. Plus it is not fun to go out with someone who is complaining about everything. If I do not like restaurant than I just make a note not to go back.

19. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    I never complain in restaurants. Even if for one reason or another, the order is wrong, I feel pretty bad for them and sometimes I will offer to just settle for the food that was brought to me, and pay for it in full. Sometimes I won't do this because the price difference is too high. I was at a Korean restaurant a few weeks ago with a friend, and the restaurant was in the middle of changing their menus, so they though I ordered a pork dish (meant for two people) from the old menu. Well, it looked delicious but I was not prepared to pay for that so I waited until they said it was alright and took that away.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what it is for but I don't think I've ever complained. Denny's used to have perfect service and nowdays they're almost the exact opposite. They take longer to get your order for one but that would never bother me unless I was starving and I always bring my devices with me to pass the time. They also don't seem to have free wi-fi anymore but I never complain about that either because many places don't anyways. Also it's true that a lot of things are not the waiter/waitresses' fault.