Do you complaint a lot in a restaurant?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by whnuien • May 2, 2014.

1. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No I never complain, or I should say I did once. I was at a sushi restaurant and found a large hair in my food, I quietly and politely told the server who apologized and said they would bring me another one (which was perfect for me, I definitely wasn't trying to get anything for free) the server brings it back out but it was the same sushi roll, the pieces of sushi were moved around and the hair was now in a different spot on the plate. It also came out within 60 seconds of me bringing this to her attention, I found this odd considering they make all of the sushi fresh. I was pretty annoyed by the whole thing and said that I was ok and wouldn't like anything else.

2. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    Oh, there are definitely times that I've complained in a restaurant. The one that immediately comes to mind is when we had gone out with my brother and his wife and when I asked for a refill the waitress rolled her eyes at me. The majority of the time when I complain though is when the food hasn't been properly prepared.

I really hate it when you come across those people that literally complain about everything in hopes of having all or part of their meal comped.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to restaurants I'm more patient since I've worked in one before when I was trying to support myself in high school and it was no fun being talked down to. And besides, those people are serving food that you eat you don't want to piss them off and have you're food pissed onto. Believe me I've seen these things so if you're about to complain because there's a tiny shred of onion on your supposedly onion-less order then just patiently remove it.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Unless there are very many things I should complain about, I tend to just keep my complaints to myself and just either try not to go back there or give constructive criticisms afterwards. I find some restaurants are sometimes just short on staff or is extraordinarily busy on some nights, so I try to be understanding and not give the serving staff any more headache than they already have. If I am unhappy with the staff's service, then I simply just don't go back there anymore. I'm not one to anger the people who are handling my food.

5. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I am a frequent complainer, but I have no problem with bringing something to the staff's attention that I feel is unacceptable or just flat out not good. There is this one bar/restaurant near me where I went once and ordered a dish that was just...disgusting. I think it was just spinach dip. But it tasted so old and bad, that there was no way I could stomach it. So I sent it back. I went back several months later with a different friend, trying to give it another chance. Ordered something different - same thing. Really awful. I sent it back. I'm not going to eat or pay for something that I believe to be inedible. I don't feel bad. Obviously, not going back to that place ever again, but it was one of few places where I actually sent food BACK.

6. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    I rarely complain. But I just hate rude waiters and staff, so when that happens I ask for the boss, and give them both a lecture. I am not leaving my money to you so that a guy comes looking down at me and being all rude.

7. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I must admit that I do complain a lot when I go to a restaurant. But look, the things I complain about are these: no fork or knife. No condiments like Ketchup when you order french fries. The wrong food, not what you ordered. The table is covered with syrup and not wiped and the list goes on and on. If they expect me to eat at their restaurant, then they need to hire competent people that will bring the fork and wipe the table. How hard is that to do? Sometimes I decide to not complain no matter what because it does ruin your dinner. My husband prefers to just not say anything, and I do agree that if you say nothing there is less anxiety.

8. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I am not the type to complain at a restaurant and I honestly hate going who a restaurant with people who complain. If it's something like my food being cold or if my steak is rare when I requested well done, I would kindly ask the waiter/waitress to take it back. i wouldn't go out my way to ask to speak to a manager or give the waiter/waitress a bad tip. Working in a restaurant and dealing with customers is not an easy task. I would hate to be that person that causes the waiter/waitress to have a bad day.

9. Shiditios

ShiditiosNew Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the kind of restaurant. If the restaurant looks like a complete dumb, then maybe yeah. But I think it's just completely rude to complain, if nothing seems to be too out of order. If you do then you should probably learn some manners.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have complained for finding hair in my food once. Though they solved it in a very nice way but I never came back to the same restaurant again. I know that they probably have improved but every time I passed them afterwards I always have the picture of the food with the hair in my head.

It's a really bad impression if you find something like that in a food and hair should never be in the food at all.

11. Kevin128672

Kevin128672Member

Threads:
    I've never complained in a restaurant before. I usually just let the server know if there was a mistake in my entree or make it known that there were other issues. They usually apologize on behalf of the restaurant, and sometimes even give credit for the next visit. In my experience most restaurants have pretty good service, and are more than willing to compensate for something that you feel is unacceptable.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have worked in restaurants and know that some people come into the restaurant to complain and get a free meal. If the floor or menu was not to her liking she should have left. I usually do not complain unless it is really bad, I just leave if I am not happy the way the place looks.

It is hard to be a server, some people think you are their stupid servant and can be treated any way they want to. Try another restaurant with this person if she acts the same way do not go out with her again. She just wants to be rude to someone she thinks is less than she is.

13. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    This is a forest or the trees type thing. Some people may think you're just their stupid servant as you said, but some servers also have bias's also because they are used to seeing low 'quality' attitudes like that.

So when someone does have a legitimate complaint, honestly, it's neutral, it's just a legitimate complaint and people concerned should be told. A legitimate complaint is simply that. It doesn't bother me to complain if I need to. Nor should it bother anyone else, server or not. I'm not going to complain over little things. As I've said in other post here even, we are awesome tippers. We can let go a lot. Some things should be let go, probably most, other's, not.

Are you familiar with Fawlty Towers? That older comedy show from Britain? It's So funny. This thread is like 'The Waldorf Salad man'. He is a cutomer that takes a legitimate complaint and becomes an ass about it. Sounds like you have had your share of Waldorf Salad men, (people) lol.

But seriously, it's easy to complain without insulting people and becoming an ass. :) if you have any, hope you have the 'regular' kind from now on. :)

14. Gusten

GustenNew Member

Threads:
    I try to be a bit constructive when giving critique. Unless the food was horrible or I had to wait far too long I almost never outright complain. This usually yields positive reactions all around, I have found. Especially if you're considering revisiting the place. On the other hand, I must admit that I am not very sensitive as a person. If I find hair in my food (I'm talking perhaps one or at most two strands of hair) I usually just pick it out and continue eating. But I do understand people that are genuinely discomforted by this.

15. Bispo Barbosa

Bispo BarbosaNew Member

Threads:
    I never complaint before eating..You never know what they can do in the kitchen if they dont like you..:cool:

16. irishways

irishwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I have to confess I love complaining. I spent years working in hotels, and have given away so many free bottles of wine and room upgrades, I feel it's my turn to get something back, and I do love free stuff.

17. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to complain. Not everything in life is going to be perfect. If something was wrong with a meal at a restaurant I would just ask for something new to be made. Even then, the food would need to be really bad for me to even do that.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit when something is wrong a person should complaint, but it can be done without being rude. An error can be pointed out and a correction can be made to the satisfaction of both people involved. I knocked over a drink in a guys lap one time and was so sorry that I could not give him enough free stuff to make up for my mistake. He did not get rude about it said things happen. I have had people start to demand things before they even sat down good and not allow you to be nice to them.

This is will always be a which came first the forest or the trees type of situation.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. I never mess with the people who deal with my food. If I absolutely have to complain because part of my order is missing, I'm super, mega nice because I don't want them to spit in my food.

20. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I think it's stupid when people complain sometimes. I mean obviously everyone has a complaint about something so in certain cases it is okay. I know I am highly opinionated so that probably helps me want to complain but I make sure it's significant. My ex was one of those types to complain. Speaking specifically about restaurants, I remember when he was helping us move he had us go to this Chinese restaurant. He took the rest of his meal with him and left it in our fridge. When we asked him about what he's going to do with it he acted like a little girl when he found a grasshopper in it. I mean yeah I wouldn't want to eat it either but come on now. He just decides oh I'm not going to eat it but I'm going to be a coward and not complain to the right people about it. It made me mad because it was our money he was wasting.