Do you complaint a lot in a restaurant?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by whnuien • May 2, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't file a complaint towards the restaraunt unless it is something really major. A couple years ago, a friend and I went to a buffet style steakhouse and no sooner we sat down at our table, there were roaches everywhere! They were crawling up our table and everything. That instant I was so sick to my stomach that I couldn't eat at the buffet I had just paid $10 for. I informed the waitress and the waitress then informed the main store manager and the next thing I know is that they all come over and talked to us. My ffriend and I got our money back plus a invite to come back for a free dinner another day. I never did use that free dinner invite and the next thing I know, that restaraunt was closed down to many, many violations.

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    The only restaurants I go to nowadays are buffet style where I can get more of what I want the way I like it, and the amount I want. So the cuts down on my dislike. If I had an issue at a regular resteraunt and if I complained I would do it after I finished eating lol, especially if it was a complaint about the food.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I won't lie I cannot stand people like that. I have never once, ever, complained in a restaurant. Even when I got the wrong food, even when we ordered a ton for everyone and I didn't get mine. I should have, but we were already in the car and leaving so it didn't seem worth it too me. I don't know, maybe I'm too squishy, but I just can't, plus I heard if you make them mad they do icky things to your food.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do tend to be fussy especially if the restaurant I'm eating at is an expensive one, but I try not to let it get to me too much because I also try and understand the position of the establishment and its staff. I give them all the more allowance for error when the place is packed as I'm sure they have enough worries already and as long as I am fed clean and decent food then I wouldn't mind much else. I get a bit peeved when the restaurant is clearly empty though which means they are just not giving it their best, in which case, I might complain a bit but I am more likely to just not eat there again.

5. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    The only people who complain at restaurants are people who has never worked in any kind of food industry. Those who have worked in this industry know for sure that many cooks/servers with spit or do whatever else to your food if you are a rude person. I have personally seen this more times than the public would want to know. Because of this, I know better to complain in a restaurant. If my order is wrong I politely address the situation with a smile on my face.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't been in a situation before wherein the customer service is so bad, I need to complain about it. I have not encountered that yet. Anyway, I don't really fuss and make a scene in restaurants. I've always been understanding and patient. But if something terrible or rude has been done to me, then that would trigger me to anger, I guess.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people just like to complain and find fault about everything and it doesn't make for an enjoyable experience. I have had a friend like that, so if we ever went out she had to choose where to eat so she couldn't blame anyone else.

Sometimes my dad can complain as he used to have his own place years ago before he retired, but in chains you have to have some understanding. These places have their own rules on how things are run, so staff are usually abiding by them.

8. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I'm not a huge complainer in a restaurant either. I'm not interested in sending my food back and getting an additional surprise when it comes back to me.... If I'm with a serial-complainer (and I have been many times), I just politely smile, enjoy my meal and make a mental note not to go out with them for a meal again.

I've also been a waitress, so I've been on the other side of the fence. It's no fun being berated and chastised by patrons. People need to remember their manners.

9. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I have been to restaurants which have delayed my food for almost half an hour, had my orders mixed up or have simply been ignored by the server for some explainable reason and yes I complain, but not loud, berating or in a derogatory way, just a polite, "No, this isn't what I ordered. I asked for the xxx." And the issue is rectified.
    Servers are people after all and they make mistakes, don't be doormats people and complaining doesn't have to be loud and obnoxious.

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend almost never complains to the restaurant, it drives me crazy how he'll tell me how much he thinks the food is not good, and leave half of it or more, but then the waiter comes to take the plate and asks how it was and my bf is just like, "Oh, it was good!"

I either say what's on my mind or I just don't answer, I shrug because I cannot lie.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a very close friend who fusses a lot and really makes the restaurant staff work for their money, and it's not nice at all, it's very snobbish. I mean, once we went out for drinks and when she got hers she said to the server who was about to walk away; eh, can you pour the drink please? I was floored! One time she even had one of the servers go out and get her favourite wine because they didn't have it!

I don't like it one bit, and try to make the server's job as easy and pleasant as I can. I have waited on tables and it's not the most pleasant of jobs as it stands. Plus, it's just common decency to treat people with respect.

When things go wrong, I'll have a quiet word with the server and give them the chance to redeem themselves. I don't see why I should immediately escalate matters to management, putting the server's job on the line.

There's also the small matter of the possibility of them doing something nasty with your food and/or drink. I saw a behind the scenes documentary once, and let's just say, it wasn't pretty! But that's not the only reason I'm nice to them.

12. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on the side of the restaurants here, i know someone who complains every time she goes to a restaurant just to get money off or a free meal when there is nothing wrong with the food. I find that sort of behaviour absolutely disgraceful and i think the restaurants are being too soft with these people. They are afraid of people complaining to head office and giving negative reviews, however if the restaurant is confident about the standard of their food and service they should say no to these people trying to get free meals.

I have hardly ever complained in a restaurant, usually if the food is not very good or the service slow i just won't go there again. I will only complain if there is a serious issue or if my order has been forgotten, that has happened a couple of times and is completely unacceptable.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't complain much at all, I'm there to enjoy myself, not nit pick and stress over everything. They're servers, not slaves, and it's demeaning to talk down to workers like that imo - especially when you really don't know what's going on behind the scenes. They may be breathing down the kitchens neck for your order, which is running behind or forgot to make it, which is why they are not at your table refilling your drinks right now, for example. Or the manager may have pulled them aside to help another server out carrying a large order to their table.

I try to avoid going out to eat with people who I know are persistent complainers and/or cheap tippers/non-tippers.

This made me think of a time I went out to eat with a friend of mine and her husband and their kids. He's already a major hot head, and thinks he's some big hot shot. The server was admittedly not attending to our table as well as she should have been, but we were deep in conversation anyhow and honestly the rest of us didn't seem to care. But when it came time for the check, my friends husband blew up at the server and made a huge scene - which made the rest of us look like jerks as well by association. I can never go back to to that place again, because I'm embarrassed at how he treated her.

14. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Something has to be really wrong before I'll complain. I am really easy to get along with as a customer. The few times I have complained it was because I watched people who got seated after me while I never got waited on after half an hour. I complained when everybody's food was brought out except for mine. It would have been fine if someone had told me what was going on. I sat there for 15 minutes, watching people eat, feeling like I was going to starve before I said anynhing.

15. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I had a situation recently when i went to the opening night of a new restaurant, it was a disaster, the restaurant was not not prepared for serving the public and the staff didn't have a clue what they were doing. They brought over complimentary cocktails as it was opening night and tipped the lot over my fiancee's dress, ruining it. We had to go home for her to get changed and when we returned they had got my fiancee's order wrong.

The restaurant did make amends and paid for our taxi and when the bill arrived they had given us a 50% discount, we were satisfied that they had made the effort to correct the situation. At this point a friend that we were with flew in to a rage at the waitress saying ''how have you got the audacity to charge us anything. '' There had been nothing wrong with her meal or service but she made such a scene, we on the other hand understood that the staff were having a hard time and said nothing. The waitress returned with a further refund for the rest of the meal and our ''friend'' took the money, unbelievable, i hate people like that.

16. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never understood why they think that sort of behavior is acceptable. Just because you are a customer, you don't have the right to throw your manners and politeness out the window and be borderline abusive. It seems they are typically looking for reasons to complain from the moment they get out of their car. It's so sad for everyone involved.