Do You Consider Buying Gadgets Online?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jasmin Cottontail • Oct 8, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Most of us buy gadgets at a local store because it's much safer and perhaps because of the warranty. However, there are some online stores that offers a huge deal wherein you can save at least 40-50% of the original price of a gadget. I've tried purchasing a smartphone from an online store not long ago and my experience was not totally good. They've sent me the wrong item and color as well, and they were obliging me to send it back to them in order for them to send me the right one which is I think is totally nuts.

Since that I never purchased any gadgets online. I'd rather buy at a local store and spend more than spend less and deal with huge hassle afterwards.

What about you? Do you buy gadgets online, or eve considered it?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As I had posted in another thread, I am in the process of purchasing a dash camera for our 2 cars because it is becoming a necessity now. And the cheapest I found was in an online store which costs $50 only. However, I am not inclined to buy electronic gadget from online store with the thought that it would be difficult to have it replaced in case the product is defective. I'm searching for a good buy in electronic stores in the mall.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe I'm slightly different from everyone else then, but the majority of items I buy online are gadgets and I very rarely buy that type of product from the high street and I haven't for some time. Food, clothes, household goods, kitchenware I always buy from local stores or supermarkets, but anything electronic or what you'd class as a 'gadget', the first place I look is online.

From laptops to TV's, consoles to radio's and headphones, Amazon is the first place that I always look. I've found that with some sellers you can pay sometimes up to 25% less by buying online, and that's a discount that the high street stores can't or won't try and compete with. At first I did have my reservations as I think most people do when buying anything online, but if you find a reputable seller and stick with them, you can end up saving a lot of money and that's something that we all love to do.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely buy gadgets online. I prefer to buy it from nearby stores simply because of the fact that in case of an issue I can approach them directly and get it replaced immediately. While I go online it takes a lot of time to get it replaced and I need to bear the courier charges for returning the faulty product. But recently I was looking for a 4G Wingle (Huawei) which was not available in open market. I ordered it through Amazon and I got it before the expected date. The Wingle is really amazing, giving stable connection and great speed.

But I heard that there are many scammers working around shopping sites, especially in electronic gadgets shopping area. They send duplicate products and sometimes products which has no relation to what you have ordered. But if the product is not available outside I will have no other option but to go online.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Threads:
    Yes I agree. Based on what I've experienced in buying gadgets online, it wasn't really worth it. There are some people who chose to buy online in light of the fact that they actually think they can save more wherein in reality, they often pay more and fall into a huge hassle. That's why I'd rather buy at a local store and spend more instead of buying gadgets online.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Threads:
    It's nice to know that you've found someone whom you can trust in buying electronic gadgets online. I think because of what I've experienced that I would never try to buy any electronic stuff online unless if it is something that I need and it's not available at the local store, with that I won't have much of a choice but to purchase online.

I wish I could find a seller whom I can trust so I won't have much of a doubt in shopping online.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    It is getting harder and harder these days to trust any seller that you see online, and while in the past you could read the customer reviews and form your own opinion from them, there are that many paid reviews around now that not even them can be trusted 100%. What I've done in the past is still read the ratings that a seller as been given and factor that into my decision, but not necessarily believe everything I read.

When first buying online from a seller, unfortunately it can be just a case of hit and hope and you have to just trust your judgement sometimes and hope for the best. There are a lot of good sellers out there of course, but as with most of the time in life, the minority (the bad sellers) spoil it for the majority (the good).

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Threads:
    Yes I totally agree. Some of the reviews of products that we read online are usually paid reviews and aren't really true. That's why people fall into misleading advertisements because of these paid reviews, and it's really hard to distinguish a paid review from an honest one that's why sometimes I tend to just not base my decisions from these reviews.

9. buddyman

buddymanNew Member

Threads:
    well i would say i do 99% of my electronic gadget/accessory shopping at

and

. Almost never have any issues and when i have they were quickly taken care of at no cost to me. I shop on ebay occasionally but you have to deal with a lot of independent sellers so return policies need to be read carefully for each one. But overall its been a very positive experience. But in the end it all comes down to personal experience.

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ordered from WalMart and I have to say, it was a great service. The box it came in wasn't mistreated at all, everything was in its place and the delivery guy was polite. Of course, this doesn't always occur but I wouldn't stop buying gadgets online and specially since they're a lot cheaper sometimes.

11. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don’t feel comfortable buying electronic gadgets online. Unless and until I see the product I am not comfortable buying it. I bought a phone online and it was not new. Till now it is working fine. But this has put me off from buying electronic gadgets online.

12. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do not buy gadgets online. Unless the seller is willing to meet up so I can check the unit thoroughly. I do not like the idea that I need to pay for the unit and then wait for it to be delivered. Even if it's COD, I still am not going to deal gadgets that way. I told my wife the same thing,she didn't listen so she ended up getting a different unit.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy gadgets online simply because you cannot buy the product you want right away. Another thing is that, you cannot test the product upfront and sometimes the colors of the products being sold online aren't the same when you look at it personally. Most people think that buying products online would save them money, but in actuality, you can save more if you just look around warehouse stores. Remember, there are many local gadgets stores out there compared to online stores and of course, this gives you more options than purchasing gadgets online.

14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best thing about buying electronic gadgets from nearby stores is that we can approach them freely if there are any issues with it. They are bound to replace or rectify the issues there itself. Moreover, while buying offline we get a chance to physically experience and test the gadget before taking a final call.

I think all gadgets come with some or other kind of warranty / guarantee with it. Shop owners would be more interested to take care of it in case of an issue if we directly purchase it from them. Most of the times there is actually no major saving in online shopping. When you add shipping charges to the price quote it would be almost same to that of offline shopping.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Threads:
    You're right. Whenever I plan to buy any electronic gadgets at a local store, I normally check the unit first and run some tests with it like play videos, connect it to WiFi, type and run a simple LCD test (if you're a tech geek). At least by experiencing it first hand, I will be able to decide whether to buy it or to check another item or model. More important, I can ask for assistance in any case I've encounter a basic problem within the item.

Yes. Most of brand new items comes with warranty. Malls and local stores do give at least 1 year warranty for their items and I do believe some online stores do give warranties as well. Although we get warranties from online stores, it's still much easier and convenient to acquire it from local stores in light of the fact that it's accessible and all you have to do is to bring the item together with the receipt so it can be replaced or get refunded.

16. Jasmin Cottontail

Threads:
    Hahaha :D Maybe she just wanted to try how online shopping works (if she does not always shop online or she never tried yet). Same thing with me, although I do shop online in some cases if an item that I was looking for isn't available at the local store. But since my experience, I became hesitant in purchasing any stuffs online in light of the fact that I don't want the same thing to happen again.

17. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it qas her first time buying and I was furious when that happened. I even told her she can shop again if she wants just to make fun of what happened and she got really mad about that. Well it was just my way of releasing stress, I usually make fun of something that has happened, which are usually bad experiences.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I came looking for an answer to this question in here as I am considering purchasing a smartphone online. I have never preferred gadget purchase from an online store as I just can't imagine the hassle of returns! I am still skeptical and everytime I buy a product online I pray that I get what I ordered. I am just into returning.

Once I got the wrong size of shoes thrice, no I hadn't returned just ordered a second and a 3rd pair hoping that I will get the right one but didnot. So I ended up gifting those shoes away.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no issues buying my gadgets online but I always see to it that all my gadgets are from the reputed companies with proper guarantee and service center in my nearby area. I have bought almost everything including my phones, tablet and laptops from online shopping sites and never came across any problem so far. In fact I have changed keyboard and hard disc of my current laptop bought through an online site at company's local service center.

20. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I tried once and it wasn't what I expected. I made up my mind to never buy gadgets online again unless it's directly from the company. I just can't be bothered to wait weeks for an item and it's not exactly what I bought. Also, the shipping prices are usually high for where I live so it's a no no for me.