Do you consider music to be therapeutic?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by 003 • Apr 25, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    From my personal experience, music is very powerful. It can make me sad, happy, feel nothing, and all the emotions there are. It can alter my moods. When I listen to music when I am sad I feel consoled. When I am depressed, I listen to it to feel encouraged. When I am low and don't want to move, I listen to it to feel motivated. It helps me a lot that's why for me it is so magical, which makes me consider it therapeutic.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's more than therapeutic. It gives you something that words cannot describe. I try to listen to music everyday. I don't know where I'd be without it. During my dark days, I would listen to some depressing music and I felt an important connection.
    It also helps me keep focus so things aren't so mundane.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Certainly, music is one of the easiest and fastest ways of altering our moods. There is such a verity of music available that there is a tune for every setting. I don't know a single person who wouldn't say that music hasn't helped them emotionally at some point.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Funny that when one is feeling sad, you'll prefer to listen to a sad song. When you're depressed, you'll want to listen to a song whose lyrics resonate with your feelings. I thought I was alone on this.

Music does help indirectly to soothe our feelings but the old songs do this better than what is on the market right now.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're certainly not alone. That's why many artists have those types of songs. Generally I would agree but sometimes a new song can grow on me. I used to be pretty selective but I got more open-minded.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Music is my daily mental vitamin. As a musician, music stimulates my brain in ways beyond the comfortable zone. I tend to analyze and over-analyze aural stimuli that if I allow it to take over, I won't get anything done. It's like a drug that must be taken in moderation, or else I get high. I can get indulgent. :)

To keep myself in check, I just listen to modern ambient music when I'm working. This way, music is just in the background as a therapeutic and functional element of daily life.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course music is therapeutic, and it has the power to alter our mood. I think both the lyrics and the beat are responsible for it. Notice how we feel sleepy or lazy when the music playing in the background is mellow? And when the music is fast and upbeat, we feel energetic? That's the power of music for you.

8. Wolfhyrr

WolfhyrrNew Member

Threads:
    Also the frequency of the sound waves (Hz) affects our mood, body, and state of the mind. Not only music is amazing in this aspect, but there are also a kind of "sound drugs" that emulate things like "caffeine" or "marijuana" and a lot more just by making you listen to sound waves coming into your brain. Tried it, it works :p

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I couldn't live without music, I find it helps me in so many ways. When you have a hard day, sitting down to listen to your favourite tunes is a must for me. I love having a nice glass of wine and listening to my favourite tunes.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    This is so true. I listen to different songs based on the way I am feeling. When I am sad I listen to R&B or some sad country songs. When I am hyped, I listen to Rap or fast country songs. I also listen to Pop sometimes. I really like the old music better because it has more meaning to me.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I consider music to be very moving, so I'm very careful which genre I pick depending on my mood. Meaning that I don't pick angry or aggressive music when I'm in a bad mood even if I know it feels good to somehow reinforce my stress or frustration. Rather, I just listen to calming music instead, and even though it doesn't fully alleviate my stress, it certainly does help a fair amount.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it is. It strikes at your personality and emotion and it has some physical effects than can be visibly observed so I guess it is therapeutic. Some music can actually make your heart rate go slow and help you relax while other types of music really pushes your adrenaline to light up.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Music might be the form of entertainment that influences your mood and thoughts the most. It doesn't even need lyrics for it to convey an emotion, you can listen to a classical piece and you can feel the emotion it is trying to convey. So, of course it can be therapeutic, one of my favorite things to do after a stressful day is just lie down and listen to some music. It calms me down and makes me feel comfortable and at ease with everything going on.

14. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It really is especially if you're a quieter person who is more aware of their surroundings. The details of the music are very important and can change mood just about instantly. Fast songs with loud noises can get just about anyone pumped pretty fast, and slow instrumental music can put you to sleep in just about the same time frame (no bashing, it's one of my favorite types of music).

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly agree, music is very therapeutic. I think music is so important in my life, it has so much power. I listen to music when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I'm bored, or when I'm just feeling like doing nothing, just listening to music!!!

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The things I need in my life are music, plants and sun light, and wine. I use music to help me go to sleep often. I listen to all types of music but when I need to think I will listen to classical music, it helps me to stay calm and hear myself think.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. It can reflect how you feel, it can soothe you, it can excite you, it can make you dance, and many more reactions. Music is a very special and powerful form of expression. It chills me out, it makes me tap my feet and sing along, and most importantly, it invokes emotions within me.

18. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Music is my stress releaver! I have music on playing from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed! Its even playing in my vehicle all the time. I even have a pen for work that plays radio! I'm an overall music junkie solely bc it relieves stress.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My main genre of music that I like is EDM. When I want something relaxing, I normally go for Ambient music, a down tempo Electronica song, or some mellow House music. That just goes to show, in any genre of music, there can be something relaxing that chills you out. Even in a harsh genre, like Rock.

20. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I also agree that music can be very powerful in terms of effecting mood. Lifting us up, making us happy, making us sad, or even scared like in scary movies. I need to get more into listening music like I use to when I was younger. Since I've been getting older, I haven't been as into listening as much for some reason but I plan to.