Do you consider yourself to be frugal or cheap?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Nov 1, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you think there is a difference? I do. I consider being frugal to be careful with money, avoiding waste, getting the best deal on quality items, etc. Cheap seems to have a more negative connotation, like people are being cheap just to be cheap. I'm sure everyone has lots of other definitions and ideas, but I'm curious.. which would better describe the way you spend... frugal, savvy, careful, or cheapskate, tightwad, penny-pincher?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say I was savvy, I look for the best value, not always the cheapest, but the best quality I can find find at the lowest price. That goes for everything, so for example I like good chocolate and cakes, so I won't buy cheap ones, but will look for offers and the best value in what I like.

I don't always buy generic brands, if another brand is more concentrated and tastes better I would buy it, because it would be a false economy. If you don't like the taste then don't buy it. Some generic brands are good value, so it's trial and error and sometimes whether they are available. In this economic climate, often generic brands sell out in cities where people are looking to save wherever they can. Not many carry generic brands, only the out of town stores do, so people stock up when they do appear on the shelves.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Cheap is definitely a negative when applied to a person or thing. I don't know that it has always had that connotation, but it currently does. A cheap product is not just a low price, but low quality. Usually cheap goods will not get you the most for your money. They cost the least, but when you consider how long they remain functional, buying them usually ends up costing you more in the long run when you have to replace them often. That being said, cheap goods can have their place, such as buying cheap clothes or shoes for use in jobs where the chance of ruining them is high. When cheap is applied to a person, it usually means they are unwilling to spend as much as is really needed to get something done right, or they underpay their employee/worker, or don't tip in situations where tipping is expected.

Frugal on the other hand means looking for a good deal, being wise with the money you have, seeking the best value with saving in the long term as your goal. A frugal person will spend more for a product in order to not have to replace it for a long time, so their money will actually stretch farther.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    There's definitely a line between frugal and cheap and I think I do cross it from time to time.

It is frugal when I plan my shopping trips, utilize coupons, and refuse to buy anything not on my list. It is cheap when I need something but refuse to buy it because it is not on sale, or worse, get annoyed with my husband for spending more than I would spend on an everyday item that we actually need.

It is frugal to do all my Christmas shopping either well in advance (to take advantage of clearance on other sales) or on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. It is cheap to just search for something random within the confines of a specific budget.

I think gift giving is one of the easiest areas to appear "cheap" with. It is easy to just buy someone something crappy because it is cheap. But frugal people can give really great gifts without breaking the bank, you know?

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to follow the frugal habits, because if I had the money, I wouldn't be cheap one bit and neither would I be spending money like the world would come to an end the next day. I'm careful about what I spend and I always try to balance and measure out the use and benefits before I buy it. I'm the kind of person that will stand around in a store for a good while debating in my head if I should pick up an item or not, knowing sometimes that I have this next part of me that likes to spend on items wanted when I see them.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I'm frugal and other times I am impulsive. Especially when I'm feeling sad and I need a temporary high, I tend to spend on things that I don't need. And I won't really go to the point of being a tightwad, since money is made to be spent and enjoyed in my opinion.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found over the years (when I was really broke) that sometimes trying too hard to be cheap just ends up costing you more both in money and in frustration. Looking for great deals is always a good idea, in my opinion, because I can always find somewhere else to use the the money I save. That said, it's not a good deal if it is junk.

I don't like to buy cheap gifts just because they are cheap. I would rather get someone a tiny gift that's good than give something rubbish. In fact, it may be better to not give a gift at all and just give a card or some cookies, rather than give something that is so bad it is obvious that it was only picked out because it was cheap. I'm not saying any of this to be mean to you, just some food for thought.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't consider myself frugal or cheap, just practical. I tend not to let my practicality get in the way of my enjoyment as I usually do splurge whenever I feel the need to let loose or if I felt like the excess money I would be spending would be worth it. This is especially true for moments that I know I wouldn't get back or have a second chance to do over such as special occasions and circumstances.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm frugal at buying cheap stuff :). You know I go to Walgreen's and say they have a Crayola Art Set @ 75% off on Christmas Eve before the store closes. No, I'm not kidding. I have found some of the best deals with great prices just before the stores closes. Kmart, Walgreens, Big Lots they all carry name brands. That's frugal and cheap.

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely frugal and not cheap. Frugal is about being sensible, conscientious and strategic. Cheap just feels a bit low level to me. It just screams 'Extreme Cheapskates', which isn't a world I want to represent.

11. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Cheap is what other people here have described it as. I'm going to provide an extra example that helps me understand the difference. If I am frugal, I may handcraft a gift for someone special to me. I have at least dedicated some time and thought into yet. However, if I am cheap then I may not get them anything or grab a gift from the dollar store which doesn't mean much. Frugal is just about being careful with your spending. I consider myself frugal because I rarely ever buy something that is not on sale. I wait until a decent quality item is up for clearance or if I have a discount for it.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I consider myself frugal, or a savvy shopper. I dislike low quality goods, as well as wasting money. I will shop around for the best deal, and often window shop online before shopping in person at brick and mortar stores. When I'm shopping online, I often compare quality and price among several sites, sometimes over a period of time, before committing, especially to larger purchases.

13. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    The negative connotations of words like "cheap" make me stray away from it and as a user above posted, I prefer savvy. Using coupons when applicable should be a daily activity for everyone. Money adds up after a while, and a few coupons could end up being worth an extra $100 in our pockets each month. Fortunately, my family and I are far from needing to penny-pinch, but when opportunity strikes and we are able to pinch a penny easily, then why not take the advantage?

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm more about keeping my money from those who don't deserve it lol. What's that called? And frugal I suppose, because I don't like waste.. I'd rather find new uses for things than replace them or contribute to pollution.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I would not like to be labeled as cheap. Cheap to me means buying things that are poor quality and at the lowest price. Like the others said, I am frugal because I will look around for the best price and not just recklessly blow my money. I research and shop around until I am satisfied before making the purchase. I think that makes me a smart shopper. I like to watch my money and find the best possible deal on the things I want and need.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A cheap person is stingy. They'll buy anything no matter how poor the quality is so that they don't spend a lot of money. Frugal people on the other hand, spend their money wisely because circumstances demand so or they'll need the money [saved] for something else later. Being frugal for that reason doesn't necessarily imply that you are "cheap" while being cheap suggests that if you could, you wouldn't spend any money at all.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a world of difference between being frugal and being cheap. The former signifies a regard for quality but a certain wariness toward prices. The latter, on one hand, connotes a total disregard for quality either in pursuit of quantity or because of an aversion to unreasonable price tags. Anyway, regardless of the difference, we can't really blame people if they prefer to buy cheap especially if their means prevent them from affording anything beyond a specific price range.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm frugal because I try to buy high quality for a low price. Like I'd rather buy a high quality item in gently used condition than buy new, cheap junk that will break in a week. I bought a vintage Rival Crock Pot from the 80's for $10 rather than buy a generic crock pot from Family Dollar that will break in a week.
    This old crock pot survived the last 30 years and still works. Even as recently as 30 years ago things were made differently. To me being cheap is about paying the lowest price, even if the quality sucks. Being frugal is just about getting the best value for your money.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Agreed. I am this way when it comes to things like furniture too. I would much prefer to buy a used piece of furniture that is well-crafted and made of solid wood than spend twice as much for a "trendy" new piece of poorly constructed garbage. To me, it just makes more sense.

I don't care if people turn their noses up at "used." I get much better pieces for my money, and frankly, they'd never know I bought it used if I didn't tell them.

20. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I can say I am frugal. There are times that I really consider the price of an item. It is very important to check the quality of the things we buy. I don't really buy the cheap quality. I rather pay few more bucks if the quality is long lasting than the cheap one then replace the product after few use.i believe I can save more by doing that.