Do You Cut Your Own Hair To Save Money?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by kaka135 • Jun 6, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I started to cut my son's hair when he was young, as he didn't want to go out for a hair cut. Then, I helped my husband to cut his, and later I also cut my own hair. It isn't as difficult as I thought, and it is actually quite fun to do, as we all do not require any special hair style, just simple and Neat will do.

Besides saving money, it is also save us time to just be at home and cut our own hair without needing to travel to the hair saloon.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried doing this once (for many years) and the result was really bad. :eek: Since then, I have never tried it again. o_O Definitely, this is not a job that I can do properly.

I'd rather spend some money for a professional to cut my hair. :D

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cut my Mom's hair. I don't cut my own hair though. I go to a school in town to cut my hair and get it styled for just $10.21 tax is included in the price. I like going out to get my hair done every month and a half. During the summer time I go practically every month for it's so hot here in Hawaii. I trim my Mom's hair anytime she wants it to be trimmed too. It does save a lot of money to cut hair at home.

4. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    As much as I would want to save money, this would definitely be a no for me. This is because I am not a professional I this field. A saying once went like; a barber cannot shave themselves. I tend to believe that this is true. I once tried working on my front hair cut and the results were terrible. I had to visit the barbershop after a few days to correct it. We have seen hair clippers come with DVD manuals to enable home use. However, I would rather visit my barber because I am ever guaranteed of a professional look. I also do not spend much. It's usually less than a dollar. Another thing is that I only get a haircut once every two months.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do cut my own hair, as a matter of fact I have only been to the salon once in my life and I had a bad experience so I never went back. My mom always cut my hair so I learned from her. I learned to cut my hair in layers which is the hair style I always go for. I save money and time doing so and prevent myself from having another bad experience. I really dislike when I tell the hair stylist to cut my hair a certain length and they cut it way shorter.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't do that to myself, I don't have what it takes to cut hair, clumsy me. Hereabouts, a haircut costs less than a dollar so it's not likely to bust a budget. Besides that, I only go for a trim once or twice a year. I think it's okay for kids though, specially boys. My son likes to have his hair cut by my brother which is also a good bonding experience for both of them. My brother bought his own haircutting set and get to practice his newfound skills with my son and his own child.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    If it's only less than a dollar, then I think it's really not expensive at all. I didn't think I could cut my own hair until I tried, and just think it is quite fun doing so. We bought the haircutting set as well, and I agree that it is a good bonding time for us too. My husband cuts for my children sometimes too, and he cuts for me when I couldn't reach certain area of my hair. So, haircutting is now considered a "family activity" for us. :D

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have seen a thread like this before (maybe not in this forum). Isn’t it difficult to cut your own hair? Of course, the answer is no. With the woman’s long hair, I think it is easier to cut your own hair but for a man’s hair, there’s simply no way to do that by yourself. But come to think of it, having your haircut is a tradition for the barber and the salon attendant. In fairness to you, they do that in the rural area since the nearest salon is miles away. Besides, they don’t have the budget for the hair cut.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I keep my hair long. Therefore, I don't go for hair cut frequently. THis saves money. When I have to trim my hair, I will ask my friend of a family to cut it for me, which is free (I don't have to pay my friend or family for their service). Sometimes I go to training center where a learner will cut my hair for free.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have daughter who skillful in her cutting. Every time she's around at home I requested her cut my hair. I have several money for several months until she worked abroad. Since I was a kid we had our favorite barber. He was our neighbor and best friend of my late father. He had a barbershop in one of the stalls in the market. Now he's gone, his eldest son took his place.

11. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried this and I don't think that I ever would. It would be a disaster. I know that I cannot cut my own hair and therefore will never try it. I don't go regularly for hair cuts. May be once a year or for some special occasion. Therefore, it does not affect me whether I do it myself or go to a parlor.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Cutting your own hair can be done, but often it's tough to get the back. I mean, you could possibly cut your head with scissors if you don't see things correctly. Anyway, though, it seems like a lot of bald guys shave their own head, maybe most. Therefore, they must have some way to adequately see the back of their head.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time I was out to actually save money on haircut that I bought a personal clipper. Every time I needed to cut my hair I'll do it myself since I was always alone then. The problem, I hardly get the cut thorough even under mirrors. There were always small part or corner of the head I didn't give a thorough shaving. This was sometimes embarrassing and I had to stop cutting my hair myself. Nowadays I pay the barber to do that for me and everything is done thoroughly.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen that my sister is cutting her daughter's hair but that's not to save money. But her daughter is still young and she always cry in the saloon. So she is cutting her hair.

Though my self I have never tried it. I have no knowledge regarding it so I can't take risk at all.

15. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Keeping hair long already saved a good amount of money for me. I do not go for a frequent hair cut which is otherwise costly. I go for trimming which doesn't take much money.
    However, I never have tried cutting hair on my own neither any of my family member could do it. Once in couple of months, all of them go to saloon for a decent hair cut.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have been cutting my own hair for more thn 30 years and it seems to work. I won't say I haven't made a few mistakes but for the most part it looks ok (I think). I just got fed up with the extravagent prices charged by fashion hairdressers and as I never ever wanted anything fancy done it seemed sensible to manage it myself. I wouldn't cut anyone else's hair though.

17. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    In my family everyone does everyone else's hair all the time. We are all skilled in cutting hair and a variety of other hairstyles for women so it's easy for us. Between my two sisters and my mother and me, there is always someone at my house to do others' hair anytime.

18. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    As much as would like to save money, I wouldn't attempt to cut my own hair to obtain any savings. There is a huge danger of me doing a bad job of it and I would still end up at the barber looking somewhat embarrassed anyway. There are some tasks that it would be feasible for me to do on my own to save money, however, I don't believe that cutting my own hair should be one of them.

19. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I started to cut my hair when mine is very short. So, it's still doable to cut our hair when it's short. My husband also cut his own hair (very short hair), but he needs my help to cut the back of his hair. In fact, I haven't try to cut my hair when it is long. I might do it soon as I am having long hair now.

There are barber shops and hair saloons here as well, but once I started to cut my own hair, I just enjoy doing it and have not go out for others to cut my hair. My mom cut our hair when we were young too.

20. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    I have never gone to a salon for haircutting, seriously. I learn to do it from YouTube tutorials.
    P.S. Once in my lifetime, I went to a salon for a haircut but she ruined all the style and I came back disappointed. That day I decided to do it all by myself!