Do you do your own computer maintenance?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Colebra • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking about adding some RAM to my laptop...
    How hard is this? Should I try to do it myself?

Is there a way I can find out if the laptop even has room for more memory, without having to open it?

Thanks guys!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To find out if your laptop supports RAM upgrades, just search online. That's literally the best advice I can give you on that specific subject. However, many laptops aren't RAM upgradeable. If the RAM modules are soldered onto the motherboard, then you're out of luck. If you only have one RAM slot, then you can only use 2, 4, or 8 GB of RAM for a given stick, and rarely a 16 GB stick might be possible for your machine.

It all depends upon how easy the RAM is to access inside the case, whether it's soldered or not, and how many slots are available.

3. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I always do my own computer maintenance. If there is something I do not understand, then I will use YouTube to help me understand what to do.

4. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    Replacing ram is very easy! It's just like lego! Look for compatible ram for your motherboard type and make sure you have enough slots left (unless you're replacing ram). Just clip it in and you're done!

I do all my own maintenance, I use an air duster monthly to clean off dust from the motherboard and various components.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do my own computer maintenance and upgrades. My laptops are ThinkPads. They are made to easily upgradeable. Even switching out the hard drive required the removal of only 2 screws. Plus there is a huge forum dedicated to IBM/Lenovo laptops with a wealth of information. Adding RAM can be easy depending on the manufacturer of your laptop.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't yet because I moved on to laptops long ago but before that I was able to get some confidence tinkering with the inside of my computer by removing hard disks due to my friend showing me how with his computer and thus making it seem normal to me. I've never upgraded on my own but I would be open to it as it's relatively easy to get information on it nowadays and there are even a number of specialized forums with members who would help you out. I'm sure you could find the specs of your counter without having to open it up and you could just look online which options are the best way for you to upgrade.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't started doing my own computer maintenance till now but I am sure I have to do start doing it in the near future. I think it is quite difficult in the beginning but I will surely get used to it. At least it is better than spending so much money for maintenance purpose.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Upgrading your RAM shouldn't be that difficult. But if you're unsure, it's best to ask somebody to help you out. Years ago, I was also skeptical about fiddling with my laptop. But I just decided to give it a try. That's how I learned and I'm sure you will experience the same.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own a laptop, only a desktop, but Troutski gave some good advice, and you can just look on Youtube for hands-on tutorials. I do know how to change the RAM of my PC, but it's a desktop, so it's quite easy from my end.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    For your question about computer maintenance, yeah I do my own maintenance. Heck, I built my computer and upgraded my laptop myself because of the fact that it's so much cheaper, effective, and has so much more bang for your buck!
    For your question about RAM: Search up the model of your laptop to see if there is any sort of guide for this stuff, especially if you are a newbie at building computers. Also, you can see if you can find a site that shows you the internal layout of the laptop. That can help significantly because you can plan exactly where you will go whilst inside of your laptop with your hand. However, if you're scared you'll break anything, I suggest you take it to a professional (if you want to spend the extra money, of course).

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Adding some more RAM isn't really hard. You just have to be careful of the compatibility of the RAM since not all models are the same. DDR3 is different from DDR2 or 5. Also, laptop RAM is different from PC RAM. But it all boils down to just taking some screws off and placing them inside.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's just cleaning up my computer and making sure it's in tiptop shape, then I'm fine with that. I do not know a thing about hardware maintenance, however. I've never had lessons and I'm not confident enough to tweak my computer on my own. I might end up destroying in contrary to my original intention. To avoid problems, I leave it to the experts.

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't taken a computer apart, but it hasn't been necessary. Anyhow, I can do maintenance on a computer with the help of a cleaning utility program so there is no need to get a technician. By the way, it would be interesting to know how to install RAM as I'd like more of it to do 3D art projects. Nonetheless, my current computer is not RAM upgradeable.

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    RAM upgrading is easier to do than you can imagine. I also upgraded my laptop's RAM last year and I thought it was hard to do so I did some researched and I was surprised that it was just so easy. All you have to do is buy a RAM and you can put it inside :) As most of the comments say, there are a lot of online tutorials on how to do so. But if ever you're too scared of doing it by yourself, you can just bring your laptop when you buy the RAM and the technician will put it inside your laptop for you for free (in our place though it is) :D

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I did a lot of work on my laptop even though I am not a computer expert. I think it's quite easy to do with the help of YouTube videos. A few months back I opened my laptop and cleaned it as the fan was not working well. It was full of dust and I also lubricated the motor with a drop of machine oil. Now it's working perfectly fine without any issues of over heating.

I heard that in modern computers we can replace the RAM easily and it's like plugging and unplugging of a pen-drive to your computer. In case of doubt you can use YouTube videos. Just type your computer model number along with your search query you can have a lot of information from there.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am not good at running a maintenance on my computer. Few days back I had issues with hard drive in my system, for two days I couldn't work with the computer. I took it to the repairers, to utmost surprise it was such a minor problem, it didn't take up to three minutes for the technician to get it fixed. This is a problem I sweated on for two days. It's like he just removed a hard ware and did some work on it, placed it back and the system came up again.

17. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb I think that is quite understandable. If you are not a computer expert locating a problem like this is not easy. Only an expert eye can find out where the actual problem lies. But general maintenance works like cleaning the air vents and inside parts are quite easy if you know how to safely open and close your computer. But you need to be careful not to loosen or damage the joints inside the panel.

As I said earlier with the help of YouTube video you can have a live view of inside parts of your computer. If you are not confident of doing it I think it is better to approach a computer expert than damaging the sensitive parts of a computer.

#17Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm You made a very valid point there, first learning to safely open and close the computer is one great stride to daring to understand the various hard wares and how they connect. I am always thrilled when the experts are work on the system whether it's hard ware problem or a soft ware. I think I should go for some tutorials on systems especially the hard ware technology.

#18Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If I could go back and do it all over again you can bet that I would add this to the list of things to include to learn. I could have saved a lot of money already, and surely more moving forward.

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Colebra@Colebra I don't think without opening you will able to know about room for RAM section. About doing it, I think it is very easy. I have done it quite easily on my first try. Either for desktop or laptop it is quite easy process. We just need to open few screws from the bottom part. Remember in some laptops, there is special section for particular RAM, so you just need to open that. You can easily understand it by showing icon or text available on it. Removing RAM and adding new one is quite easy.

#20Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017