Do you do your own computer maintenance?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Colebra • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No. I always ask for some of my friends that works with that to solve. When they can't (or they don't know how to solve the problem) I go to some authorized store that I trust.

Not always the values of those stores please me... But until today, whenever I needed them, they always did a great job. So, worth it the price. :)

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I found out the problems I do encounter with my computer that takes me out of the comfort of my home to the repairers are often minor. A thing I can easily fix if I have some basic knowledge of computer maintenance. For example today I couldn't work with my computer throughout the day because the disc lost contact as I gathered from the repairer. This is what I can easily fix if I got the screw driver.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    True. Basic knowledge is important and everyone should learn it. I mean we can solve those minor problems easily without doing more effort. And if we have to call experts for such small problems then in the end we have to pay more even for small problems. So better we do have some knowledge about small fixing so we need experts for major problems only. Like this we can save lots of money for sure.

4. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do some of my own. Adding RAM to a laptop can be very easy, but it depends on the make. Some have an expansion slot under a removable panel on the back that you can put an extra stick of RAM into. Others will need you to crak the case. The best thing to do is go online and check for a manual and instructions for your laptop to get the memory type. Also check youtube, as some people put up videos of how to do memory upgrades on various laptops.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Replacing defective RAM or upgrading it is not hard as long as you know how to follow instruction from YuoTube tutorial. If there is no available video for that, you may ask a technician friend about it or from the electronic store where you are going to purchase the RAM slot.

However, the first thing you would do is check the capacity of your laptop for added or upgrade RAM especially its system or else you will be buying for nothing. Worse, you laptop would be not running anymore.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I was the one who would format the hard disk and install the OS. When there is a problem, I do the diagnosing and do the repairs that I am capable of. And when there are needed parts, that's the only time I bring my computer to the shop. But I'm not that energetic anymore and I deem it a waste of my time to tinker with the computer. What I do is to bring it to the shop and let those guys do the evaluation. That costs me money but it saves me from the stressful procedure of fixing my own computer.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I do most of the small maintenance. And things work out just fine. But if you ask me how the stuff goes around for most of the time. I'd say in case of the computer management, I can do some pretty basic level of the computing. That's how I am managing the things these days. That's for sure.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to my desktop, I basically do all the maintenance as there are just a few parts to think about and they're mostly replaceable. Of course, we need to be well-acquainted with our desktops to be able to buy the replacement parts. For instance, if you're using DDR2 RAM, you can't replace it with DDR3 as this won't fit on the socket. However, when it comes to my laptop, I really don't want to dare. I tried to open my laptop once when the LCD got broken hoping to fix it myself. When I saw all that compact parts tightly screwed/glued to each other, no, I quickly decided I won't risk it.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I own a desktop PC, and when it starts to show the usual malfunction signs that is caused by a dirty RAM, fan or a corrupted hard disk then I already know what to do. The only thing I haven't tried fixing so far is a faulty DVD-drive, my DVD drive suddenly stopped reading discs and it's now useless.

10. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Never used to but after having my laptop cleaned out of dust every months i decided that i needed to learn to do it on my own.

11. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    With laptops the answer is a solid "Maybe!".

The act of putting ram in any computer is not difficult. You look up the make and model of your rig, see what types of ram are compatible and how much, and simply slide it in the slot! There will only be one place it can go in so that won't be an issue.

Where laptops cause problems is in the rigging itself. Each company has its own build and sometimes a different build from model to model. To save space and aid cooling, components will often be hidden under chassis, or below major components. Sometimes you will have to disassemble the whole thing just to get to a part. Luckily, most manufacturers recognize that ram change-outs are pretty common procedures and put an easy access slot very near the outside. But that's not all of them!

Unfortunately, this means the answer to your question is that you're going to have to research your specific model and see. One of your best bets is to do a youtube search and see if anyone has a video demonstrating how to open your specific laptop.

12. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I maintain my pc by myself. I don't see the point in paying someone else to do it, or buying the programs that claim to optimize and maintain your pc, when I have the necessary knowledge to do it myself. I change the hardware if it gets faulty, clean the dust from the fans, defragment my pc regularly etc. I also reinstall my OS from time to time, since slowdown occurs inevitably if the PC hasn't been clean formatted in a long time.

13. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    Yes, I always do my own computer maintenance, I install my own video cards, ram and hard drives and power supplies. I also take care of the OS and add and remove programs/ And in the past, I have built 16 different PCs for myself and friends and family. I haven't built anything; ate;y because most people are ungrateful and for myself, I have been getting deals on PC's, it's cheaper for me to buy a PC then build my own.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I used to do the same thing in the past. But not anymore. I don't feel like giving time to that thing or may be I don't find more time. I just call to expert and they do it for me. Sometimes I do it myself but mostly I call the person even if I can do it but I avoid it because of lack of time. Also I feel it boring sometimes. Installing whole OS and drivers later on is surely time consuming thing.

15. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I can do basic maintanance tasks such as restore, battery replacement, etc. But for comple computer issues like hard disk crash, I usually hire a computer technician to do it.