Do you donate?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by dconklin • Apr 3, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I donate whenever I find a good cause to give my clothes/money/food too. Teachers usually organize different charities during the year to help children in need and I always try to give them all of the clothes that no longer fit (but that are still in a very good condition). I also like donating money through PayPal (if they take that payment method) to small causes. I was just reading about a guy who was left paraplegic after an accident, and that has been like that for over 12 years, under deplorable conditions. Of course it's not one of those Facebook "Help this kid" pseudo-charities we all know are fake; this one is a real case from someone in my country. If the guy decides to start taking donations, he'll have my money!

2. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I donate to my church since there is always someone in need that I am not aware of that the Pastor is and takes care of it for me. I also donate clothes to the local Animal Shelter since they run a thrift store and proceeds go to my town animals. I listen to people in different places like Mc Donalds and overhear some need where I can give some funds I have to spare. I especially like it when people don't know me and I don't know them and God puts me where I am needed with money or other needs too.

3. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    Oh, I like that place to put your money. I bet you sleep well at night by doing your angelic activities. So glad to know you do that.

4. aw1219

aw1219New Member

Threads:
    Over the years, I have noticed that I tend to donate goods to charitable companies more and more. I like the idea of being able to use what I have and giving it to someone else that is in need or can benefit from it also. It is a good way to help me clean out my closet and eliminate items from my home that I rarely use that are just simply taking up space.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    That is mostly what I do, donate to the church programs. The food bank is run by Catholic Charities and so is the thrift store that I donate clothes to. I know they help and occasionally we shop in the thrift store as it benefits other people too. It is non profit and what you buy there is cheap.

6. Christi Harris

Christi HarrisNew Member

Threads:
    Whenever I get around to cleaning out my children's closets to get rid of clothes they don't wear any more I will donate them to different charities. I have given to the Salvation Army and to the Wellspring (which used to be YWCA).

7. sam300

sam300New Member

Threads:
    I donate old clothes and useless crap which may be useful to others and also some money.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I always give when it 'feels' right to me. The thing is many charities are businesses and I had close friends who worked for charities...and earned very well too. So, I question what some are doing. There are some great organizations out there too, and some questionable ones.

I only do it when my heart pulls me in that direction...and I feel the need to reach out...I give either money, time or goods.

9. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I donate clothing and household items regularly. We're not in a financial situation where we can give money at the moment, but if we were, I would donate a portion to a good charity.

10. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    I always donate to local charities! My favorite is JDRF, they raise money for Type 1 Diabetes. We also do the walk.

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I volunteer a lot in my community. Mostly I volunteer for the local humane society so I know that I'm donating something to my community and I see where the fruit of my labours go.

I'm also usually involved with buying tickets to a local charity lottery once a year. Sometimes they are gifts in my name and other times if I have the extra cash I buy them myself.

Other than that I donate clothing to Goodwill. But I don't make many cash donations. Often my cash donations go to support friends doing fundraising runs.

12. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I recently started donating food, clothing and basic medical supplies to the local homeless shelter. I also purchase pet food for the local RSPCA shelter near my home. I have found it easier to pick up a few extra cans of food, or sort out some warm jumpers to donate then remembering to donate to a particular charity each month. As well as donating blood regularly, I also donated breast milk for four months after the birth of my last child, which was used for premature babies at my local hospital.

13. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I have a ton of clothes that just keep mounting and mounting, so I have to donate every 3 months, or else I wouldn't even be able to get in my closet!

14. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I try to donate when I can. It's very hard right now and we can barely make ends meet. I think once the economy starts to recover, then we will be able to donate more.

15. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I donate to some linux community. Their website has a donate button and the money they get thru it are for the benefit of the distribution and the community as well. This is because the operating system is given for free and their developers develop the kind of distro well especially because there's funds.

16. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I donate to mostly national organizations that work towards fighting cancer and hunger in third world countries. I also volunteer at least 1-2 times per month. I think its great to give back to your community.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I donate to Goodwill, like many people. I've also done volunteer work at several local charities and I do the click to give sites like The Hunger Site and The Breast Cancer Site.

When I reach my financial goals, I do want to donate money to certain charities and I'm going to buy a couple of toys for Toys for Tots this year if I can find a drop off location.

18. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I do it when I can, but it's not very often. Even so, most of the time, it's to say, Goodwill or something. I do volunteer when I can though.

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I give things I don't need to all the time to someone who could really use them. And I also have given out money when their are like fundraisers.

20. dkramarczyk

dkramarczykMember

Threads:
    I do donate to Goodwill, anything that we don't need or use anymore, we just take it there. I do wish we had more that we could manage to donate, but we are of the financially troubled, so we don't have much. Otherwise I would love to donate money to some of the organizations, such as the Salvation Army.